[Z06] Tires for 02 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 10:53 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by donv
OK, then let's start fresh. To me, though, your reply seemed demeaning and insulting. But, again, le't start over. I know that, whatever, you were trying to help. Now that I am focused on what is pertinent in #18, I'll read the first item in #18 carefully. Thanks again for referring me to the post.
I'll remember the point that newer members may not know what I mean, and will endeavor to post more detail next time.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Znod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Then you need to review post #18 in the FAQ sticky.
Here's what I find. Widest, for all practical purposes--315/30/18. My problem with this size is that it is only about 25.44 high. I am looking for something closer to stock heigth of about 26.13. And, then there is Mickey's point about wider not necessarily being better on the stock rim. I once thought about Nitto 555's, as I recall, in 305/45/18, but they seem awfully high--about 28.81. Well, if they didn't rub, then maybe a rake wouldn't be too bad. ~{;^) I also thought about the Nittos in 275/40/17's (running stock 17's on the rear). But, they are short--about 25.66. I'm going to look at the Nitto (555?) R2's as suggested above to see if there is anything just right sized. Maybe I'll end up with PS2's in the stock size. But, one poster thinks the traction is better with stock sized F1's. Are there more opinions on this opinion?

Last edited by donv; 10-07-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Znod
Racer

I'll remember the point that newer members may not know what I mean, and will endeavor to post more detail next time.
Great. Doing so might help someone else esentially new--i.e., I read the discussion pretty frequently in 02. ~{;^)
Old 10-06-2005, 11:11 PM
Znod
Racer

Great. Doing so might help someone else esentially new--i.e., I read the discussion pretty frequently in 02. ~{;^) Seems like so many of the old names are gone--Powershifter, Ranger, and I can't remember who else. Oh, and check above if interested. I think I am where I always end up. I never find the perfect tire.

Last edited by donv; 10-06-2005 at 11:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Znod
Racer

I'm going to look at the Nitto (555?) R2's as suggested above to see if there is anything just right sized.
Nitto 555 R2's ("Track" tires):

P275/40 ZR17 98w 25.67" Too short as mentioned earlier

285/35 ZR18 97Y 25.79" Better, but not as wide as stock. But, traction should be better. Right???

*305/35 ZR18 101Y 26.30" Looks pretty good, but might be too wide for stock rim--convexity as mentioned above. I can't figure out what the * refers to. There is no matching *.

Nitto 555 R's (Drag Radials):

285/35 ZR18 97Y 25.91" As above almost--Better, but not as wide as stock. But, traction definitely should be way better.

305/45 R18 110V 28.78"--Way tall.

*305/35 ZR18 101Y 26.42" looks pretty good, but might be too wide for stock rim--convexity as mentioned above. I can't figure out what the * refers to. There is no matching *.

Anyone have any thoughts about which of these would be best? Does anyone know anything about BFGs. I don't know my KD's from my TA's or even from my BVD's or BFD's. ~{;^)

Last edited by donv; 10-07-2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:39 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Great. Doing so might help someone else esentially new--i.e., I read the discussion pretty frequently in 02. ~{;^) Seems like so many of the old names are gone--Powershifter, Ranger, and I can't remember who else. Oh, and check above if interested. I think I am where I always end up. I never find the perfect tire.
They are here and me too, but that is why I created the FAQ thread. The old timers get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Now I'll add this thread to the post #18.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:43 AM
Znod
Racer

They are here and me too, but that is why I created the FAQ thread. The old timers get tired of answering the same questions over and over. Now I'll add this thread to the post #18.
Cool. Besides having some good info, it's kind of entertaining.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM
Znod
Racer

Does anyone know anything about BFGs. I don't know my KD's from my TA's or even from my BVD's or BFD's. ~{;^)
This is the best I can do on BFGs:

BFG Drag Radials:

275/35/18 25.6"

295/35/18 26.2"--Looks like maybe the perfect tire for me

g-force T/A KD:

295/35/ZR18 26.1"--Stock size, but might offer good traction

Above, I say that the BFG Drag Radial Size 295/35/18 seems like it may be the perfect tire for me. Does anyone think that the traction might be too much for the tranny/rear-end? In this regard, my street style is don't spin my wheels much and go like crazy up to about 60 or so MPH. In other words, I won't be bringing the RPMs up to 4K+ and dumping/feathering/or whatever. And, no powershifting. But, quite fast shifts otherwise, yes.

Last edited by donv; 10-07-2005 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:19 AM
Scott04Z
Burning Brakes

Location: I'm not quite middle aged and I only own one gold chain! San Jose CA

Hi All:

I know "what tires" has been beaten to death. I am trying to get quick answers from those who know. I have been thinking about mods for my 02, but I am about to decide to keep the car "stock" in the sense that I may only do a dyno tune, a 3.73, and the tie-down mod--maybe with a K&N. In this regard, what tires would you recommend? To be in stealth, I wouldn't want to change the wheels--and also because they are so light. So, given stock wheels, what are my best choices--size, brand, and model. My main concern is straight-line acceleration. I don't want to do a mini-tub either. I would consider DOT drag radials. All help and comments greatly appreciated.
If all you are doing is changing the rear end gearing, the zip tie mod and a tune I really don't think that it would necessitate going to a different tire combination. This isn't a radical increase in performance or anything. You will gain some hp with the filter and tune...probably 10-15 at the most. There are several owners who have increased their hp substantially and still run the stock tires or similar. The gearing will increase the strength of your launch, but it isn't the kind of change that might cause you to blow the tires up when you take off or anything. Proper launch rpm and clutch modulation is still the key here.

Just a different point of view to consider. This is assuming that you are talking about daily driving conditions and not talking about a set of tires to go to the strip with. In that case drag tires will help, but then you need to consider the increased stress on the tranny and half shafts. The sticky drag tires have been known to make junk out of the stock tranny and rear end.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Znod
Racer

Originally Posted by Scott04Z
If all you are doing is changing the rear end gearing, the zip tie mod and a tune I really don't think that it would necessitate going to a different tire combination. This isn't a radical increase in performance or anything. You will gain some hp with the filter and tune...probably 10-15 at the most. There are several owners who have increased their hp substantially and still run the stock tires or similar. The gearing will increase the strength of your launch, but it isn't the kind of change that might cause you to blow the tires up when you take off or anything. Proper launch rpm and clutch modulation is still the key here.

Just a different point of view to consider. This is assuming that you are talking about daily driving conditions and not talking about a set of tires to go to the strip with. In that case drag tires will help, but then you need to consider the increased stress on the tranny and half shafts. The sticky drag tires have been known to make junk out of the stock tranny and rear end.
Thank you very much for sharing you thoughts Scott04Z. I have considered the possibility of what you say being true. And, in this regard, I would not change my tires until I am sure I need to. I want the car to appear as stock as possible. And, drag radials, for example, wouldn't do much for that concept. So, yes, what you say may be my answer. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tires for 02 Z06