Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 09:01 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Powder Coated Drilled/Slotted Rotors

I need new shoes, so i'm thinking about torch red powder coated rotor hats on new drilled/slotted rotors. I've seen them on cars at shows, but does anyone know how well they hold up to the heat generated by braking hard from racing? If so, who makes the best?
Old 08-15-2005, 09:05 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeZNJ
I need new shoes, so i'm thinking about torch red powder coated rotor hats on new drilled/slotted rotors. I've seen them on cars at shows, but does anyone know how well they hold up to the heat generated by braking hard from racing? If so, who makes the best?
Those rotors are for street/show only, if you go racing take them off and use stock. The holes will form cracks.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Wolf Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Those rotors are for street/show only, if you go racing take them off and use stock. The holes will form cracks.

He's absolutely right!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The only reason why i wanted the powder coated is that i painted my rotor hats with hi temp caliper paint, but the fronts keep fading. I wonder if anyone sells the "solid" rotors powder coated on the hats?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:31 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

For street use powdercoating the hat area will work fine. And as other's have said the vast majority of slotted/drilled rotor's are for show. I know I have the Baer Enhanced rotors and would never consider tracking them. But they sure do look purdy out on the street.

Tom
Old 08-16-2005, 09:55 AM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of brembo blanks from Nate @ corvette garage, and had the hat's powered coated, I drive the car hard and they have held up fine "NO" cracking yet!

Note: "NO" track time just hard driving

Last edited by Morzoff; 08-16-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

but does anyone know how well they hold up to the heat generated by braking hard from racing? If so, who makes the best?
D/S rotors are for bling only and 40 year old technology that some ppl wont let die just so they can make a buck.

racing or DE Brake temps can get as high as 1400* which will burn off any paint or powder coating.
Now some ppl have two sets of pads and rotors. one set of D/S rotors and pads for the street and shows and another set of plain face rotors and race pads for track time. Best of both worlds.

1400* rotor notice the nice orange glow of the front rotor

a few cracked rotors from minimal track time

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-16-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thanks everyone, I think i'll just keep em like i got em now. Too lazy to change just for the "look". I do drive pretty hard on the street at times, plus my pads are polymatrix.

Thanks for the pics, nice shots. Glowing rotors way too cool. I was watching American LaMamns when a c5r's rotor just exploded.

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 08-16-2005 at 02:50 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
prospero63
Team Owner

Good info here. I've been struggling with the brake question (I'm due for new brakes any time now) and had been hooked by the D/S mis-information. Now to find a decent set of brakes that will live up to hard driving and racing, yet perform decent on the street. Looks are fine and all, but I'd rather have brakes that stop good than look good.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Raybestos Rotors from NAPA autoparts

Part #s

about $27 / rotor Dont be foolled and pay more.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
Z06 Tom
Pro

I've got the powder coated rotor hat covers on my car. You can always remove them when going to the track. I got mine from ECKLER'S

Old 08-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Well, now that GM has joined the marketing bandwagon and started making D/S rotors it will be hard to disprove the theory of don't track them. Especially now that they are on the '06 Z06 as well. The Z06 rotors are bigger and can likely take a bit more abuse before dieing off, but until we get a few owners on here that track them, only time will tell.

Another thing to consider is that drilling is causing the cracks, there are brands available that have the chamfered holes without drilling so the possiblility of cracks are lessened. I'd want a written guarantee against cracking and they ain't gonna do that.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:26 PM
Z06 Tom
Pro

Z06 Brakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corvette Z06 employs monoblock six-piston front calipers and four-piston rear calipers. Each piston utilizes its own pad. The opposing pistons operate in pairs, applying brake pressure equally to each side of the rotor. The extra-large 14-inch front rotors and 13.4-inch rears are vented and cross-drilled. Brake cooling ducts are capable of moving three times the amount of cooling air compared to the previous-generation Z06.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Camfered holes or not, ( first pic has camberd holes above) and this

The new 6 pistion BPR caliper on the new ZO6 will help. The rotors are 1.4" think not like our 1.25" thick rotors on the C5 and C6 will help, but they will crack

This BIG Porcsche GT3 Grand AM race car's 1.4" thick d/s with camferd holes rotor cracked after 4 hours of track / race use

The mechanic with car, which was parked next to mine said they change rotors every 4-5 hour of use. And the funny part during a warm up session he and I were running together, i.e I was fallowing him and he could not shake me. I could always out brake him, go much deeper iinto the braking zone then he could. and out acccelerate him.

Air does not really move though the holes to make a difference. As soon as you start to use the brakes those little holes fill up with brake dust. No air movement.

Drilled and SLotted holes are for marketing only guys, dont be foolled by some companies "Press releases" or Marketing BS. Come to the track and see for your self.

I use Raybestos rotors from NAPA $26 each, WIlwood H race pads, Castrol SRF brake fluid, Goodridge SS lines with banjo fittings and DRM cooling ducts all on the stock PBR corvette caliper and can stop faster and in a shorter distance with less fade then most BBKs.

I would he happy to use a BBK but I wont pay for it untill I use it first and it works better and lasts longer then the stock Corvette Brake.

I will look into the 6-pistion PBR caliper when it becomes availbe.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 08-19-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:39 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I use Raybestos rotors from NAPA $26 each
Rotors crack, that's just what they do, you can buy them for $25 or $300, take your pick.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:50 AM
barondw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=AU N EGL] D/S rotors are for bling only and 40 year old technology that some ppl wont let die just so they can make a buck.

racing or DE Brake temps can get as high as 1400* which will burn off any paint or powder coating.

Have done with high temp paint and powder coat. It is fine for the street but if you do track events forget it.

Get notified of new replies

To Powder Coated Drilled/Slotted Rotors

Quick Reply: [Z06] Powder Coated Drilled/Slotted Rotors