C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Active handling warming up

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 12:43 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had it come on and stay on. But, when I autocross it happens a lot. In grid, start car, hold AH/TC button down until Competitive Mode comes on, then coast up to start. Never long enough straight or speed to calibrate. Run course. As soon as I come of the course coasting into the pit area it says, Active Handling Warmup Complete... Nice... If I just leave it in normal mode it sometimes tell me that coming off course but most times not. Never really sure what mode I'm in while on course. I think it is disabled since I can light up the tires and get the car pretty loose.

Daily driving it happens once in a while in a parking garage but that's about it. Heat does not seem to be a factor. Since this system works with sensors. I wonder if inside a parking garage there is some distortion read by the sensors and they can't get a good reading.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:25 PM
DragMan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

ttt
Old 11-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Default Noise from passanger rear wheel when the "A/H WARMING UP" DIC came on

Anyone ever get a noise in the rear end with the "A/H WARMING UP" in the DIC. MIne came on for the first time today. Sounded like the passanger rear wheel area. Sounded like a power steering wine when your low on fluid? The sound was only noticed when I made left hand circles in a parking lot trying to isolate the sound. No sounds were noticed when driving around in a right hand circle. When the "A/H WARMING UP" message went away, so did the sound. Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy 71
Anyone ever get a noise in the rear end with the "A/H WARMING UP" in the DIC. MIne came on for the first time today. Sounded like the passanger rear wheel area. Sounded like a power steering wine when your low on fluid? The sound was only noticed when I made left hand circles in a parking lot trying to isolate the sound. No sounds were noticed when driving around in a right hand circle. When the "A/H WARMING UP" message went away, so did the sound. Any ideas?
Randy the A/H warming and the noise are most likely not related. I think what you are hearing is your differential. If the diff gear oil was replaced and friction modifier was not added, it can make noise. As I understand it, its not bad for the car, and you can add a little bottle of friction modifier in. Its available from the dealer and its not expensive.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 PM
ProTourAero
Cruising

Originally Posted by DragMan
I had to change balancer so we had to remove rack and ever since I did that I get that Active handling warming up every time I start car. How can I fix this as this start when we took rack off.
I have also had this happen. Any solutions?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 PM
dieseltech
Advanced

Originally Posted by glass slipper
Hope my explanation above helped.
It helped me and makes perfect sense!
Old 08-08-2016, 05:02 PM
Redgts1982
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I just bought a 99 c5 vert, auto.
I have driven it 3 times now, not for very long, but long enough it seems like to get the active handling warming up signal to go away, it has yet too on any drive.
If this a module thats maybe broken? not sure what the solution is here, this is my first auto vette, thanks for any input fellas.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:30 AM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by glass slipper
To calibrate wheel speed sensors relative to each other (to sense turns, radius of turns, etc), the computer is looking for 100' of driving with the steering wheel straight within the first 30 seconds of driving. If you're driving through a parking garage/lot or autocrossing where the course turns immediately and the computer doesn't see this, you'll get the "active handling warming up" which tells you active handling is not available so drive accordingly. This is because it can't make active handling calculations without that info. Once you've driven that 100' with wheels straight, it enables active handling. If you ever disconnect the steering shaft from the steering rack, it is imperative the steering wheel not be turned or when you reconnect the coupling, the computer will sense the steering wheel is turned even though you are going straight. This means the computer will never "see" you going straight and active handling will never be enabled....don't ask me how I know. :bb Damn the school of hard knocks!
How do you correct this?

I had DRM Steering rack bushings installed and since that time i keep getting active handling warming up and service vehicle soon and service active handling popping up.

I drive with active handling and traction control off anyway.... but ... just wondering.... what to do now..

Is there a way to 'reset' it while steering is now straight. Car tracks straight... I did corner balancing and alignment...
Old 05-17-2018, 10:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,228 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 08-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Cdubbu
2nd Gear

Default active handling warming up

Originally Posted by Redgts1982
I just bought a 99 c5 vert, auto.
I have driven it 3 times now, not for very long, but long enough it seems like to get the active handling warming up signal to go away, it has yet too on any drive.
If this a module thats maybe broken? not sure what the solution is here, this is my first auto vette, thanks for any input fellas.
Redgts I'm new and I was researching this same active handling issue and I also have a 1999 automatic magnetic red 2 as a matter of fact the thumb nail pic of your car looks like mine but any who did you ever get to the bottom of the issue?
Old 08-24-2022, 12:51 PM
Cdubbu
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by a_ahmed
How do you correct this?

I had DRM Steering rack bushings installed and since that time i keep getting active handling warming up and service vehicle soon and service active handling popping up.

I drive with active handling and traction control off anyway.... but ... just wondering.... what to do now..

Is there a way to 'reset' it while steering is now straight. Car tracks straight... I did corner balancing and alignment...
a_ahmed I'm new and I was researching this active handling issue, I have a 1999 C5. Did you ever get to the bottom of the issue? I noticed that I never get a confirmation on the DIC saying that active handling has warmed up, also I was wondering if the active handling message is not reset does it negatively effect the performance of the car?

Quick Reply: Active handling warming up