Sponsored by:

[Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 05:22 PM
GRAYVETTE
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Sports

The original Goodyears on my 03 are down to around 3/32 nds., so it's just a matter of time before I replace them. I'm seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Sports, same size as the original Goodyears. What I'm looking for is a quieter, smoother riding, better tracking tire with decent handling. From new, I felt that the car was a bit of a chore to drive whenever there were ruts or wear troughs in the road, particularly when cold. Does anyone out there have experience with the Michelins? If so would you buy them again? What can you tell me about them? How do they track?
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Yep I got them after the GY supercars. I like them much better for daily driving and rain. Hard to beat the goodyears in the dry. They are much quieter then the GY's. They also balanced with very little weight added. I have about 10,000 on them now and they are wearing very well. I will up size the next time around. 315 for the rear and 275's for the front. I will get them again. Very expensive but in the size I want. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

They are a good tire but in straight line traction they could be better. I have never driven a better hi-po tire in the rain.

Since my car is a summer and dry weather car only I will be switching to stickier tire when these wear out.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:52 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Michelins will make less noise, give you better wet traction and a lot less dry traction. Wide tires follow uneven places on the surface of the road. The Michelins will not do this as much as the Goodyears because the don't grip the road as well. Tires are always a compromise. I have had no problems with the GYs and would not consider Michelins and giving up performance. It is your choice. Good luck.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Sean2000C5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Stick with the GYSCs

reviewed the tires available and for overall dry performance and handling folks can't seem to beat the SC tires. Friend has the Mich's and they don't grab as well off the line and have same trouble in the cold. Toyo's seem to provide similiar results. If you drive in the rain all the time then you might have a different priority but max grip in the dry is my concern. I take another car in the rain.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:56 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I will not buy a product from them, or, that country period. They do not support the US, and our war on terrorism, period. Way off base, but this is my opion. My 2nd tour in Iraq, I would cross out that name on the creamer and write in 'Freedom' with my pen. I looked aroung the dfac and saw soldiers from every nation you could imagine, but not them. Sorry guys, flame me if you will, but no way, no how, not on my car.
Dave
Sorry to all offened, and not trying to mess up the thread...
Old 02-08-2005, 02:39 PM
stingray454
Drifting

You're not going to find a better dry handling street tire for the track or street than the Goodyear SC's. The Pilot Sports are close, but not quite there.

If you drive your Z06 in the rain often, go with the Pilot Sports - they are 100% better in the rain than the Goodyear SC's. But if you avoid the rain, and want the best dry handling, stick with the Goodyear SC's.

If tire noise bothers you, get a louder exhaust - that way you can't hear the tire noise anymore!
Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by chiefDave
I will not buy a product from them, or, that country period. They do not support the US, and our war on terrorism, period. Way off base, but this is my opion. My 2nd tour in Iraq, I would cross out that name on the creamer and write in 'Freedom' with my pen. I looked aroung the dfac and saw soldiers from every nation you could imagine, but not them. Sorry guys, flame me if you will, but no way, no how, not on my car.
Dave
I'm with you on this Dave, but I'm not going to pour out good wine for no reason. But you can bet that if there are other choices I will make them for the same reasons. Take care, Don
Old 02-08-2005, 03:19 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Don,
I hear you brother. I have just seen too much of their crap end up places it sould not. I visited that country while in Europe, and I was treated like a leper, wtf? Rewind to D-Day, Normandy... I have walked those beaches, and we bled for that country. I saw the 7000 crosses and stars of our fallen and it will chill you to the bone to see the terrible sacrifices made. Sorry to rant, but it hits home for me. I am off to wash my car and sorry to rant fellas, please forgive me.
Dave
Old 02-08-2005, 03:50 PM
chevymetal
Intermediate

I will not buy a product from them, or, that country period. They do not support the US, and our war on terrorism, period.
its funny that you say this on a site about Chevrolet cars. The founder, Louis Chevrolet was born in a town called La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. a town right on the french border. he then lived in France for many years, and then after that in Montreal before finally settling in NYC.

they saved us in the revolutionary war, we saved them in ww2. seems bout even to me.

sorry to rant.

Last edited by chevymetal; 02-08-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Nobigspoilerz
Pro

Dave
Hoo-ah! No offense here. GY's on my car and no Brie cheese in my fridge. I drink a BUNCH of California wine though...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:32 PM
GaGlen
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingray454
You're not going to find a better dry handling street tire for the track or street than the Goodyear SC's. The Pilot Sports are close, but not quite there.

If you drive your Z06 in the rain often, go with the Pilot Sports - they are 100% better in the rain than the Goodyear SC's. But if you avoid the rain, and want the best dry handling, stick with the Goodyear SC's.

If tire noise bothers you, get a louder exhaust - that way you can't hear the tire noise anymore!
I have about 5k miles on my Michelins and I agree totally with Stingray on this one. If you like to drive your Z06 daily, I would seriously consider the Pilot Sports.....
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 PM
why_ask_why
Racer

Don,
I hear you brother. I have just seen too much of their crap end up places it sould not. I visited that country while in Europe, and I was treated like a leper, wtf? Rewind to D-Day, Normandy... I have walked those beaches, and we bled for that country. I saw the 7000 crosses and stars of our fallen and it will chill you to the bone to see the terrible sacrifices made. Sorry to rant, but it hits home for me. I am off to wash my car and sorry to rant fellas, please forgive me.
Dave

I went to france for 4 days during a 2 week trip last summer(rest of trip was spent all over spain) and was treated nicely by everyone I encountered there...imo, you get what you give

and furthermore, michelin is in no way responsible for dictating france's foreign policy
Old 02-08-2005, 10:43 PM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by why_ask_why
I went to france for 4 days during a 2 week trip last summer(rest of trip was spent all over spain) and was treated nicely by everyone I encountered there...imo, you get what you give

and furthermore, michelin is in no way responsible for dictating france's foreign policy
It was probably due to my haircut, and tha bad experiances they had with other, younger troopers. Very nice area. Sorry to rant, but I am having so much fun with my car, I just hate the idea of not driving again for another year. Sorry to rant, I just have had bad luck with many tours over seas, many combat tours, many holidays away from home, AND the most important one, MISSING YOU GUYS, my CORVETTE BROTHERS and SISTERS! Sorry again to rant
Dave
PS If you ever get a chance, enjoy history, Normandy is a great tour and the best Airborne museum I have ever seen. It is in St Mere, and it is even better than the Spec Ops one in downtown Fayetteville, or the 82nd on Bragg.

Last edited by chiefDave; 02-08-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:57 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the question was tires, not politics. I had the Pilot Sports (albeit the ZP's - runflats) on my 99 modded (Z power levels) coupe. I took to send to the guy that was buying it. The tires had 15K hard miles on them. They measured in at 7/32nd's:

My GY F1's with 10K similarly driven miles are down to 5/32nd's.

Tom
USAF Retired

PS - For those keeping score, the Germans, Japanese and Italians killed more Americans than the French ever did and we buy everything they manufacture. Or is this some time limit where we forgive and forget? Guess I missed that memo.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:07 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Don,
Dave
Dave,

Feel the same way my brother. I'm ex Army and they **** me off big time. Ungrateful bast**ds if you ask me. Don't worry about the rant. You can find plenty of company on this issue. Freedom Fries says it all!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:34 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on what your looking for....

For a street tire the GY F1's have awesome dry traction, but are not good in the rain. This Mich is a good all around tire.

I personally like the Kuhmo's. They are supposed to be very close to the Goodyear in terms of grip, but are much cheaper.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sports

Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 AM
why_ask_why
Racer

It was probably due to my haircut, and tha bad experiances they had with other, younger troopers. Very nice area. Sorry to rant, but I am having so much fun with my car, I just hate the idea of not driving again for another year. Sorry to rant, I just have had bad luck with many tours over seas, many combat tours, many holidays away from home, AND the most important one, MISSING YOU GUYS, my CORVETTE BROTHERS and SISTERS! Sorry again to rant
Dave
PS If you ever get a chance, enjoy history, Normandy is a great tour and the best Airborne museum I have ever seen. It is in St Mere, and it is even better than the Spec Ops one in downtown Fayetteville, or the 82nd on Bragg.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
stingray454
Drifting

The tires had 15K hard miles on them. They measured in at 7/32nd's:
Yeah, I forgot to add that to my original post - the Pilot Sports definitely last longer than the Goodyear SC's. But that's part of the reason they don't stick quite as well in the dry - the compound is not as soft and sticky, and the tread depth when new is deeper.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAYVETTE
The original Goodyears on my 03 are down to around 3/32 nds., so it's just a matter of time before I replace them. I'm seriously considering the Michelin Pilot Sports, same size as the original Goodyears. What I'm looking for is a quieter, smoother riding, better tracking tire with decent handling. From new, I felt that the car was a bit of a chore to drive whenever there were ruts or wear troughs in the road, particularly when cold. Does anyone out there have experience with the Michelins? If so would you buy them again? What can you tell me about them? How do they track?
I have them and I think they are everything you described and more except the tracking. I think tires that wide are going to tend to track.

They are definitely quieter.
They are smoother.
They are much better than decent handling. I really don't think I gave a smidgen of traction. In some ways, I am more confident with them.

You left one out too. They are LIGHT-YEARS better on wet roads.

One other thing though, they are much more expensive than the Goodyears.

I'll get the Michelins again when I get new tires.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michelin Pilot Sports