C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm performance drilled slotted rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:58 AM
mlm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gm performance drilled slotted rotors

does anyone have any information on gm drilled slotted rotors? I read that they a reasonably inexpensive and available through gm. any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:22 AM
rockgt302
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

They suck, I just bought a pair. The first time they get wet, they rust and look like *****. Try another brand.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:26 AM
big bollas
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Good deal...

I have a set on my vette that I bought from gmparts.com
With the ceramic brake pads I paid $315.00 shipped to the door!!!
The qulity of the rotors are A1 and look very sharp on the vette
When you get them before you put them on buy you some high heat aluminum paint and spray the hubs down. This will give you a cleaner look and will prevent rusting.

Last edited by big bollas; 01-15-2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:47 AM
thetorch
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed these with ceramic pads on all four corners about 6 months ago. The rotor quality is good and they look great on the car. As already stated, they do come raw so they will rust if you don't paint the center or hat area of the rotor. I made templates out of poster board and sprayed them with high temp black paint. No rust here. I would NOT recommend them if you are going to use them for HPDE or any track events as they will crack. I use my stock rotors for HPDE events. I recommend them for street use.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:00 PM
Steve Thomton
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The drilled and slotted look good but are not performance rotors....the only way to get a performance drilled rotor is to cast in the holes, not drill them.....slotting is fine. The drilling disturbs the structural integrity of the metal. Porsche drilled/slotted rotors are cast in, that's why they stand up to rigorous track usage. I had a pair of Baer d/s rotors and distroyed them in 2 :20 minute open track session.....when I talked to Baer technical guys they said....oh, yeah they really aren't real performance rotors, but they sure look nice.
So if you don't do track days, they're fine....if you do, use a solid or slotted rotor. I now use solid rotors from Napa for about $26. each and put on a racing brake pad .... works good and it's cheap.

I'm wondering about the d/s rotors on the new C6 Z51 package...but haven't read and real technical data on them.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:03 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

How do you get the paint inside the drilled holes and the cooling vanes??? soon as water hits the untreated holes, they bleed rust.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:04 PM
BBates
Racer

You can get Raybestos Drilled rotors from Napa for $50 each + tax. They and not slotted and will need to have the hats painted or cleared so they don't rust. I just replaced my front rotors but went with Raybestos stock replacements and they only cost $25 each. I plan on getting my car out to Willow Springs later in the year so I didn't want to risk it with the drilled rotors. Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:09 PM
C5dream
Racer

I have the GM drilled/sloted rotors up front. Before I put them on I painted the cap and vains with black engine paint. Not bad for the 40.00 price each. The slots and drill holes will rust if you wet and let set. In the back I have the Baer +1 those are really nice zinc coated and aluminum cap but cost is something like $500.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
vetteamerica
Racer

Originally Posted by big bollas
When you get them before you put them on buy you some high heat aluminum paint and spray the hubs down. This will give you a cleaner look and will prevent rusting.
Cant beat the price!!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:03 PM
LRD VDR
Drifting

Yep Yep I have even Auto-X three times and I couldn't be happier. You can't go wrong

Shahram
Old 07-27-2005, 02:17 PM
boosted_z06
Pro

Originally Posted by mlm
does anyone have any information on gm drilled slotted rotors? I read that they a reasonably inexpensive and available through gm. any info would be appreciated.
I have had the rotors and Durastop pads on for 2 years and they work just fine even with lots of racing so for the price they are worth it.
At least they have directional cooling fins and have not had any cracking
Old 07-27-2005, 04:30 PM
FLL-Mike
Instructor

www.sportbrake.com $250.00 delivered to your door and they're zinc washed. No rust. I bought the cermamic AC/Delco pads from Jennings Automotive in Chicago. 104.00 for the F & R
Old 07-27-2005, 10:52 PM
bcseitz
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FLL-Mike
www.sportbrake.com $250.00 delivered to your door and they're zinc washed. No rust. I bought the cermamic AC/Delco pads from Jennings Automotive in Chicago. 104.00 for the F & R
Sportbrake.com For the money, nice and no rust. I did paint the hub area w/low gloss black 500 deg. engine paint as I have seen even zinc coated hubs look ugly after a while.
Bob
PS. I did not paint the contact area of the wheel hub to the rotor. I masked off the outside area carefully with 1/4" masking tape (as it is bendable). I found one of my wife's glass pot lids (exact dia. as the wheel hub itself) (covered it with tape so she wouldn't get upset that I screwed up her lid, (and she didn't even know what I used it for either ) Simply centered it on the rotor and sprayed the paint. They look C6 Z51 OEM!

Last edited by bcseitz; 07-27-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:08 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

...got part numbers for the front and rear rotors?
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by FLL-Mike
The link is actually: www.sportbrakes.com

Good luck in choosing a set of rotors
Old 07-28-2005, 06:31 AM
Dave03
Intermediate

Default gm performance drilled slotted rotors

I bought a set of the GM drilled and slotted, and coated the whole thing (rotor) with a high temp clear ceramic spray I bought at a local speed shop. Clean them good with thinner 1st, scuff them with 600-grit wet/dry sandpaper or a 3M red scuff pad, clean again and let dry. The coating can be removed at the pad contact area immediately after spraying leaving the coating in the holes and slots. I put about 3 coats on with a 5 minute setting time between coats. DO MAKE SURE you remove the spay at the pad contact area with thinner. They’ve been on my 03 coupe for about 3 thousand miles and look better than new with no rust at all. I don’t track my car and haven’t noticed and difference in stopping from the OEM rotors I replaced. By the way I installed ceramic pads during the change out as well. Fred Beans offers a great deal on these rotors and pads.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:59 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 293 Likes on 197 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I bought some too and am very happy with the overall quality and appearance. I put them on about a month ago and didnt paint them so the rust is starting. I am going to buy some high quality black paint and use a good brush and just paint them on the car. Of course I will sand them first and prep the metal. I dont autocross the car and just bought them because the original rotors and brakes were starting to grind. I bought the GM brakes at the same time and they were only a little under $350.00 delivered to the door. The trick to removing the old rotors is hit them hard from the outside with a hammer. Dont try to pound them loose from the back because the just dont move at all. I do not know how long they last but they sure work good for now.

Get notified of new replies

To gm performance drilled slotted rotors

Old 07-29-2005, 09:37 PM
kfnz06
Advanced

Originally Posted by mlm
Don't waste your money they SUCK. I installled them on my 03 Z06 and in just two days they started to rust and pit, I never even got them wet. I tossed them and bought the BAER they are great.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:11 AM
01 Trouble
Intermediate

Had the Gm rotors on my 01 Vert, they will rust quick if you don't paint them. I'm going with sportbrake rotors on my 04 Z, have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 07-30-2005, 03:07 AM
ramcharger
Pro

they suck. by suck I mean crack easily. Get plain rotors.

Quick Reply: gm performance drilled slotted rotors