C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extremely stiff shifter. . . linkage??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:45 AM
mgreen
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extremely stiff shifter. . . linkage??

Ok,
My dad just bought a 21k used 1999 FRC. Clutch feels good, trans actually shifts nicely.

BUT, rowing the gears is like someone put a stick in the ground and you're trying to shift that!

Just in neutral it's that stiff.

We've driven another 6spd C5, and it's like night and day. It's not the shifter either, because once removed, it moves around with no resistance.

Is it possible that the shift linkage is binding somewhere? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 10:56 AM
simpleman68
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mgreen
Ok,
My dad just bought a 21k used 1999 FRC. Clutch feels good, trans actually shifts nicely.

BUT, rowing the gears is like someone put a stick in the ground and you're trying to shift that!

Just in neutral it's that stiff.

We've driven another 6spd C5, and it's like night and day. It's not the shifter either, because once removed, it moves around with no resistance.

Thanks
Mike
Are you sure an aftermarket shifter wasn't installed before your purchase?
They may have retained the stock C5 **** and some of the shifters like Hurst are very stiff but can be adjusted.
Scott
Old 11-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The shift linkage is one LONG rod that goes all the way back to the tranny. It has two mounting points at the shifter. Does the shift feel change if the engine is running as compared to being off? Can you shift the trans through all 6 gears with the engine off and feel the same stiffness?
The mounting points at the shifter may need to be lubricated. You could also have a bent shift rod. That is why i need to know if it shifts better with the engine on or off.

Bill
Old 11-12-2004, 11:03 AM
Hiteck
Racer

That's definately does not sound like the stock shifter. Sounds like a B&M Ripper to me. The Hurst shifters are not as stiff as you explained. My Hurst shifts fairly easy, my old man's B&M is like rowing a piece of rebar stubbed up out of a concrete slab. Not trying to start a best shifter war, already seen that one. Just MHO. Some will say the exact opposite of what my opinion is of the shifters. Remove the **** and boot and look at the shifter. Then compare it to photos of others. Might help you figure out what you're dealing with.

Sorry. Went back and read your post again and realized that it is not the shifter.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:29 AM
6SPD98
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18- '19

Default Shifter

________________________________________ ____________________We've driven another 6spd C5, and it's like night and day. It's not the shifter either, because once removed, it moves around with no resistance.
Thanks
Mike[/QUOTE]
________________________________________ ____________________
I had the same problem when I bought my 98 coupe. After being told is was This and That, I removed the shifter and lubricated the linkage that you find under the shifter. The shifter linkage goes through the shifter "Block" I'll call it. Remove the shifter, lubricate the shaft, put the shifter back on again without the bolts to hold it down, move the shifter as if you were putting it in first, remove the shifter, lubricate the linkage that you couldn't see before, put the shifter back in and shift it as if you were putting it into second, remove the shifter and lubricate the linkage again...........any better? It worked for me
Old 11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
mgreen
Cruising

It IS a Ripper, well supposedly. It's got a nice anodized base, but doesn't say B&M nor does it have any stops. Since I can remember, all rippers that I've seen have had stops.

I had a B&M in my LS1 fbody, and I've felt other C5's. None of them compare to the stiffness this has.

Anyways, we'll try the lubrication.

Like I said, this isn't a point of a notchy shifter, but the reply up top about being a piece of rebar out of a concrete slab sounds about right (even w/o the exaggeration!).

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

My B&M had stops. It had a blue or purple andonized base.

These cars do have stiff shifts with most aftermarket shifters. I like it, personally. It does take muscle though.

Dope
Old 11-12-2004, 12:44 PM
mgreen
Cruising

Yeah, it takes so much muscle, that I honestly don't think it's possible to make a speed-shift or quick shift of any kind.

Mike
Old 11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I would try changing the tranny fluid. Maybe put in some GM Synchromesh (semi synthetic).

Problem might be something to do with the clutch too. Does the car roll in gear with the clutch pushed in? Do you grind gears ever?

Dope

Get notified of new replies

To Extremely stiff shifter. . . linkage??

Quick Reply: Extremely stiff shifter. . . linkage??