C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace Fog Light Bulb

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2004, 09:09 AM
1999BLKC5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Fog Light Bulb

Is it difficult to change the fog lamp bulb. From lookin under the car i cant seem to see where you can get to it. Thanks in advance............
Old 10-02-2004, 12:44 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999BLKC5
Is it difficult to change the fog lamp bulb. From lookin under the car i cant seem to see where you can get to it. Thanks in advance............

Wow, this is about the 4th post I've seen on fogs being out.

Easy to change, raise the hood, raise the headlamps, turn on the fogs, look under the headlamps, you'll see exactly where they are located. Turn off the fogs, and twist them out of the fog assembly, plug in your new bulbs. They are halogen, so take care not to touch the glass.
Old 10-02-2004, 12:46 PM
rcwalters
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes. If you don't have a lift or jack, it's a REAL pain. I just did it last week.

You have to take off the rubber air dam for that side, there's maybe four nuts to remove, then you have to take off a plastic close-off panel, maybe another six nuts there.

The real problem is those nuts are all hard to get out and get back in, they don't turn well, and for some reason my ratchet doesn't "click" backwards on them, they turn with it. Must be the angle to get to them with so little clearance from the ground with no jacking, or they're dirty and so they stick.

Anyway, get those two pieces removed, then you feel up under there, find the corrugated brake duct. Reach to the inside side of it, (engine side) and feel up, the fog light bulb is there. Give the plastic housing a quarter-turn and it will release. You then have to pull the bulb out, replace, and reverse.

The other hard part about this is that you're doing this blind, you can't get under there to see, again, unless you jack it up.

The manual says to remove the brake duct, don't bother, that doesn't help any and it's a real pain to put back.

Took me about an hour to do the second one, the first one took more like an hour and a half since I didn't know the routine.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:22 PM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Go in thru the hood, you'll save yourself a ton of time.

Get notified of new replies

To Replace Fog Light Bulb

Quick Reply: Replace Fog Light Bulb