C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value Of 68 Convterible 427 390HP??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 08:57 AM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value Of 68 Convterible 427 390HP??? Help

Hello everyone ---- This is my first post----but I have watched this forum for quite awhile . I have a dilema on my hands ----------------

I have an opportunity to Buy a 68 Convertable with a hard top and soft top , 427 390 hp the cars condition is as follows .

The car needs full body off resto ---- the fiberglass is in good condition except for a whole frome where the rear driver half shaft cut a14" slice in it . The inside is in tact but need new seat leather and carpet, the engine has not been started since 1987. The motor is not original ---I have pulled the numbers and it is a 69 427 390 hp motor. The vin # does show it as a 68 conv - also I can figure on having some frame rust ----so all said -------

What would a decent buy on this be ???

I can and have restored my currrent two C-3's ???? Paiting and inyterior and engnine work ???

Help I can no longer sleep ---I am about $2000 away from what the guy is asking

Thanks
Old 09-23-2004, 10:14 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of variables on this-particularly a 68. Is the car complete with all the 68 only stuff? Does it run, or is the engine locked? Is the hole in the floor or where? Stored inside in a nice garage or outside under a piece of plastic? 4-sp or auto? PS, PB, A/C?

If you aren't really really good with cars and really really passionate about a very long term, expensive, messy resto my advice is walk away. This is not a car for the feint of heart. Fixed and restored right this car is $30k plus, but it may take $20K to get there with you doing everything but paint yourself.

To answer your question value is probably in the $7-10k range. I know I will get flamed, but if it is all there it will easily part for that. ($3000 nose, $1500 intake, $800 hardtop, $750 Vert top core, etc....)
Old 09-23-2004, 12:14 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Priceless!!!! Easily worth $300K - $400K fully restored!!! Of course, I am a little biased.

As previously mentioned, it sounds like it will involve a lot of work to get this machine back on the road. If you are talented mechanically, could be a worthwhile project. Just keep in mind that the more work that you have to source out to others, the more it will cost and could easily get you upside down.

If you take the tact that I did, which is to look at the restoration as a hobby, and as a challenge, not necessarily to make a big buck when it's done, the results can be very rewarding. This car certainly sounds like a worthwhile restoration candidate.

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/lemansblue68
Old 09-23-2004, 12:30 PM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Thanks

I really do need to be "talked down" --I can do all the mechanical and I have my own paint booth ----- The car most likely is locked up engine wise ----- The frame would be an issue but all else aside the car does have 44K on the engine and the guy has owned it since 1972.

He is asking 6k and I have offered him $3800???

HMMMMMMMM more feadback ?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:36 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's probably worth $6K to part out! Go for it. Come up a little and maybe he will come down a little. Just be careful and realistic about the car's level of completeness, condition, and your abilities. '68 parts can be hard to find and expensive if you are intent on making this a FCR restoration. If not, many later year parts can be substituted (some with modifications) for less $$. Corvette restos are in general more expensive than say a Mustang, Camaro, or Chevelle resto.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Walk away from this one.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:46 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

A really nice frame is less than $2000. I think his $6k is probably very fair. A decent non-hit original 68-9 big-block-hood nose will bring $3000 easy. I hope you can get it for $3800, but it will part out for $10k without getting into the really nitty-gritty stuff. This is not a car that you will make a ton of money on, but if you want a project, I think this could be one. I haven't seen it. As I said in my original post, 68 is a funny year-not anything wrong with them. Not to insult 68 owners, there are a lot of parts on a 68 that are 1 year or partial year only. Be sure you get a complete car with all the little goodies. My opinion, if you want a chrome-bumper bb vert project, he is in the ballpark.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:47 PM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Guys thanks for the help -----

OOPs it appears as though beeing new I have posted this same request twice !!! DOHHHH

Just to clear up any questions --

The car has been stored outside for at least 5 years ??? all the fiberglass is straight and intackt except for the slash of 14" above the rear tire from the half shaft busting loose.

Also I can do all of the restoration myself ---including paint as I have a paint booth and just painted my "75"

My real question is -------- just value "as is" of this car assuming the worse! Frame rot -- engine froze?? ---- I would be looking to keep this one forever, and making it back to original # match is not my goal ---My ideas were more to restore the along the lines of "killer" the 69 Black vette I have seen on this forum.

Thanks Again!
Old 09-23-2004, 01:04 PM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Keep the feedback coming !!! I do need to hear the opinions of all ---so I can weigh the good and bad !!!

This would be a nice addition to the 81 4 speed and the 75 454 BB 4 speed I now have !!!

But she may make me sell something ??

Ha ha
Old 09-23-2004, 02:14 PM
Jay M
Drifting

It depends on what you want the car to be.

If you want it perfect- then save your money and buy a Perfect car. Find some poor sap (like me) who put $70,000 into a car that is only worth $30,000 then offer him $25,000 cash.

For some reason "matching numbers" is the single most important thing for people buying Corvettes. I hear that is not the case with other classic cars. Therefore a NOM car will be worth a lot less when you need to sell it.

It you want the cheapest Bumper Vette you can find and just want to have look good and run good you may want to consider this one. But ONLY if you can do almost all the labor yourself.

Beware of frame rust!!!!!
Fiberglass bodies hide a lot! You may find that the frame is rotten- that would make the car worthless.

I'm sure you know corvettes pretty well being that you own two. But I personally wouldn't take on a project like that.

~Jay
Old 09-23-2004, 02:41 PM
2 C-3"s
Advanced

Jay

Thanks for the insight ------ I assume the car has frame rot ---- as with most c3's in the fneder well area ---

It is just that this "devil" won't let me sleep at night Knowing that she is setting in that field with grass growing around her --------- and trust me ---the owner needs money!!!

I would really like to do the frame off resto as like with "Lemans Blue 68car "

I would go into it as More of a "therapy" than a project --- I love working on cars--- and would love to own this BB if my buy price was right -----
HMMM and if------- she does become mine -------- I think "Devil" would be a good name for her !! haha
Old 09-23-2004, 02:46 PM
Jay M
Drifting

As long as you know what you are getting yourself into! I say bring her back to life!

~Jay
Old 09-23-2004, 02:57 PM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

For a car that's been sitting outside for 5 years, with body damage, frame rot, interior rot, who knows if the engine is seized....the list can and probably will go on and on......I'd have to say run away from this one....there are plenty of project cars out there if that's what you want but give your self a fighting chance and get one that's in at least restorable condition. This one sounds like a $Money$ Pit.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:02 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

An idea of rough values (in hundreds) if it was parted out:
Nose=30
Wiper door assy=.3.5
Hardtop=7.5
Softop assy=7.5
Decklid=1.5
Rear Exhaust panel=.75
Rocker panels=2
Intake setup complete=15
Locked engine longblock (not frozen or full of water)=3
Exhaust manifolds=4
Pulleys/brackets=1
Dated alternator/water pump/wiper motor/master cyl cores=?
Brake proportioning valve core=.5
68 7” Ralley wheels=1.5
Transmission=5 or more for 4-sp, 1 for TH400 core
Doors/dated glass=5
Rear Bumpers(assuming not rusted out)=1.5
Interior/dash parts=3 (this could be a whole lot more if you went piece by piece)
Steering wheel=1
Rear suspension(assumes buildable trailing arms)=5
Front suspension=3

This adds to over $10,000 without much effort on the interior. The body is worth a little, maybe $1-200 with damage. Might get a wiring harness, heater or A/C box, taillights, and other small parts to sell as well.

Now, lets work it the other way. Parts needed to restore. Values in hundeds (roughly front to rear)
Frame=15
Rebuild engine/carbs=20
Paint supplies=20
Rechrome bumpers=8
Wiring harnesses=10
Radiator=4
Core support=4
Rebuild power steering/box=3
Rebuild brakes=5
Headlight/wiper door vacuum rebuild w/ hoses=2
Misc chrome=3
Interior kit =7
Exhaust=5
Transmission rebuild=4
Front suspension rebuild=3
Rear suspension rebuild=3
Weatherstrip=6
Top=5

Here is $12,900 worth easily. Double that and you are probably in the ballpark. All of that assumes you doing most of the work. If you want a project, you may break even. If you want a C3 bumper vert, save the $30k and go buy somebody elses project finished. I went the build-a-junker route and will do another, but don’t have any illusions that you will just build the engine in this car and go cruising.

Get notified of new replies

To Value Of 68 Convterible 427 390HP??? Help

Quick Reply: Value Of 68 Convterible 427 390HP??? Help