C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

85mm MAF

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:52 PM
cliffkh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85mm MAF

Is the Z06 85mm MAF a direct swap out on a 98 C5? Is there a measurable power gain to be had with this upgrade on a heads/cam bolt-on car with ported throttle body?

Is re-program required? thanks.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 PM
'97 C5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffkh
Is the Z06 85mm MAF a direct swap out on a 98 C5? Is there a measurable power gain to be had with this upgrade on a heads/cam bolt-on car with ported throttle body?

Is re-program required? thanks.
It is not a direct swap - here's a summary

A) Five wire harness adaptor required due to integral IAT sensor in 85 mm MAF
B) Being that the 85 mm MAF is a larger diameter, the airbridge and hose couplings need to be changed/modified
C) PCM calibration will not be correct so you will need to alter at the PCM level or you can try a resistor to "trick" the PCM..or both
D) after all is said and done, there won't be a meaningful power gain to support the effort
Old 09-05-2004, 12:14 PM
ArKay99
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by '97 C5

B) Being that the 85 mm MAF is a larger diameter, the airbridge and hose couplings need to be changed/modified
C) PCM calibration will not be correct so you will need to alter at the PCM level or you can try a resistor to "trick" the PCM..or both
D) after all is said and done, there won't be a meaningful power gain to support the effort
I did just that. I edited the MAF table, changed the electrical harness, and used a different air bridge and got zero hp gain. Maybe on a 450rwhp h/c car you would get some increased airflow, but the MAF is just a meter and the 75mm MAF will report the same air mass at a given hp as an 85mm MAF. Also, the MAF is only one component the PCM uses to determine what the engine requires. There are other sensors that work in concert to help the engine determine optimum timing, fuel, air, load, and volumetric efficiency and to take advantage of a larger MAF you would have to have the tables that are referenced changed as well. I have compared the tables from my 99 to tables from a 2001 and they are different.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:12 PM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '97 C5

GM HighTech Magazine just did an article with the 85 mm MAF swap and it made only 2.8 HP. I really think thee are much easier ways to gain that small amount of power without the possibility of getting error codes.

Get notified of new replies

To 85mm MAF

Quick Reply: 85mm MAF