C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded Brake Options for 99 FRC???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:50 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Brake Options for 99 FRC???

Guys,
Being a newbie to the whole C5 scene, I am now at the point in which the stock brakes are at the end of their lives. So my question is, would it be wise to upgrade to a better braking system, or just replace everything with O.E. parts? I autocross the car on occasion, and I might take it to a track day here in the next mont or so. Im looking for input on what would be the most beneficial way to do this.

Thanks in advance for all the opinions and comments!!!

Tony
Old 08-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Scubanme
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheapest way to a quick upgrade is to install Z06 front brake pads for about $110.00 The are better than the stock C-5 pads. of course you can also buy new GM slotted and drilled rotors for a great price of $212.99 shipped from Fred Bean.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:53 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a lot of discussions about brakes in the Autocross and Road racing section. If you Autocross on occasion then you know about the different classes as to "stock" and prepared. If you stay in stock then just new corvette brakes and better pads, the Z06 Pads, PFC-Z pads or some of the Wilwood or Carbotech pads. Ceramic pads are not really an option as they are designed only to reduce dust and not stopping power.

Contrary to popular belief drilled rotors are not performance rotors, but only for bling bling. Most people who are serious about autocross or track time use Raybestos rotors from Rockauto or Napa, about $25 each or $100 for a set of rotors. They may be inexpensive but they are not cheap.

The other options are a BIG brake kit. Wilwood and Stoptech make great BIG brake kits. A compromise may be to get Wilwoods upgrade kit, which are the Wilwood 6 piston calipers but are used on stock rotors. There is lots of discussion about this in autocross and road racing section.

Again before you do any UPGRADES look to see what the rules are of the autocross class you wish to drive in.

Good Luck

Old 08-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been a vette owner for about 9 months and have done some rather extensive research on what to use for brakes. Unless you are just dying to upgrade the wheels and tires along with the brakes (14inch rotors won't fit under those 17inch wheels), then you should look for great pads, SSlines, Good fluid (Understand that the best fluid requires much more frequent changes), DRM Brake ducts, and Spindle ducting. LGM has a ONE WEEK sale (Kinda my fault I think) on the Spindleducts he sells, and they are the same units he runs on his race cars.

The guys I've spoken with and seen at the track run the same setup I mentioned above, and I'll be running it at Summit Point, WVA in September. My setup is the stock rotor and caliper, Hawk HP+ Pads for the track, DRM ducts running to some custom spindle ducts, with Russell lines and speed bleeders. I'm also gonna use Motul brake fluid. However, the key is cool air into the rotors to keep them and the calipers from dying due to excess heat. Those ducts and spindle ducts are your best bet to achieving that.

On the street I'm using Performance Friction pads with the same setup on lines and ducting, but I swap the fluid out to something more pedestrian since I don't run it that hard on the street.

Oh, and as previously mentioned, cross drilled rotors are nothing more than bling... Yes, I know you will see them on race cars... And they are immediately disposed of after a race weekend. Generally the higher end rotors last a little longer, but these race teams chuck them after most race weekends... That should tell you what their longevity is.
Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 08-02-2004 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Thanks again for all the opinions. It really helps. I just have a couple more questions. First off, are slotted rotors any good/ worth the extra money? Second, would it be more beneficial to run a four or six piston caliper over the stock 2 piston slider type of caliper? My thought is that it would give better load distribution on the pad for more uniform braking. Again any opinions would be greatful.

Thanks again
Tony
Old 08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

First off, are slotted rotors any good/ worth the extra money?
On a BIG BRAKE kit with 14" rotors, YES they are. on the stock 13" rotors and stock calipers, no they are not worth the expense.

Second, would it be more beneficial to run a four or six piston caliper over the stock 2 piston slider type of caliper?
It would depend on your use. For the road, no not really. For racing it depends on the class you are racing in. Some classes like T1 require you to use stock calipers but can use better brake pads and stainless steel lines. Or some of the Autocross classes require you to use stock brakes. Other classes are open to use different brakes.

Over all yes 4 or 6 pistions distribute the load over a larger area on the rotors. so yes you will stop sooner and during long events with heavy brake load the brakes will not fade.

Check the rules of the autocross class you wish to run in first.

The stock PBR corvette brakes are really excellent brakes with stainless steel lines, racing or autocross brake pads and some DOT 4 racing brake fluid.

Old 08-02-2004, 03:21 PM
chevyc5ls1
Heel & Toe

I Got The Stoptech Kit Which Are Rather Good For Street As Well As Mild Autocrossing.
We Tested In Monza A C5 With A Special Kit(ceramized Rotors+10 Pistons+s/s Line Etc)....no Performance For The Money....
One Of The Best Option Should Remain Plain Rotors With Floated Clamp...brembo Is Also Offering Special Kit For Corvette.
Ciao
Chevyc5ls1
Old 08-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, how much are those LG spindle ducts on sale?

Dope
Old 08-02-2004, 05:55 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
On a BIG BRAKE kit with 14" rotors, YES they are. on the stock 13" rotors and stock calipers, no they are not worth the expense.

It would depend on your use. For the road, no not really. For racing it depends on the class you are racing in. Some classes like T1 require you to use stock calipers but can use better brake pads and stainless steel lines. Or some of the Autocross classes require you to use stock brakes. Other classes are open to use different brakes.

Over all yes 4 or 6 pistions distribute the load over a larger area on the rotors. so yes you will stop sooner and during long events with heavy brake load the brakes will not fade.

Check the rules of the autocross class you wish to run in first.

The stock PBR corvette brakes are really excellent brakes with stainless steel lines, racing or autocross brake pads and some DOT 4 racing brake fluid.

Great! Thanks for the very good information. Im very appriciative of the great advise. Makes the pocekt book hold onto some extra money for the "Other" mods. Thanks again for all your help!

Tony
Old 08-02-2004, 08:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Tony

Lots of ppl helped me here when I got started. So just passing on a few things that I have learned also.

Tom
Old 08-03-2004, 01:53 PM
YELLO C5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use to recommend Carbotech pads, but lately I haven't been getting much life out of them. I do have a bit of caliper spread but even so, I think I should get more than 2 track days out of a set of XP9 pads. I do brake later and harder than most but I still don't think I should be down to rivets before the end of the second day. I had Porterfield R4 on the rear since Carbotech can't seem to keep stock in rear C5 pads. Any comments on Porterfield pads?

Caliper spread? Any cure other than new calipers? Who's got the 411 on the Brembo kit? Probably won't buy until next season anyway but it'd be nice to know what's out there.

Get notified of new replies

To Upgraded Brake Options for 99 FRC???

Quick Reply: Upgraded Brake Options for 99 FRC???