C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 02:56 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Low oil pressure

Hi all, hope that someone knows a little bit about this...
A couple weeks ago, I got a low oil warning (this came after the car had been parked on a down hill for about 4 hours) and so I added a quart and it was gone--I was disappointed to be burning oil but I guess I'd been pushing the car bit (I'm figuring I should be able to push a Vette!)

Anyways, I got in the car yesterday and I get a "low oil pressure" warning and I'm like uh-oh... maybe I got a leak... So I've looked around the car and there is no leak and checked the oil level and its perfect.

I was far from home when I first got the low oil pressure indication and decided to start driving a little and the oil pressure monitor picked right up and the within 30 seconds I was within normal range so I thought that this was a ghost message like the (low battery voltage) message I got once and then never again but the low oil pressure message came back. And it has the 3-4 times I've started the car after that but it goes away right after I drive for a minute...

Does this sound like a sensor?
Old 08-01-2004, 03:07 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

You may not have been low on oil... the fact that you mentioned the fact the you parked on a hill for 4 hrs,, means you thought this could be a problem.. and you're right... adding a qt to a full crank case could be a problem.. but with a C5 there is enough room to be able to add a quart without the fear of bearing wash..
next time check your oil level on level ground and if the stick shows a full crankcase.. then ignore the low oil warning, because the oil sensor was tricked buy the parking angle.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:31 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a sensor problem to me. Have you tried setting the DIC to display the oil pressure? What number does it show? Does the oil pressure rise with rpms?

This could be a sensor, or it could be a major problem. Be careful and if there is any doubt, have it towed in for a checkup.
Old 08-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Duck916
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a sensor problem to me. Have you tried setting the DIC to display the oil pressure? What number does it show? Does the oil pressure rise with rpms?

This could be a sensor, or it could be a major problem. Be careful and if there is any doubt, have it towed in for a checkup.
Read his post !!! he is not talking about oil pressure.. he is talking about oil level two different things .... two different sensors...
if their is oil on the stick , there is no major problem... just a parking glitch in the way the oil level sensor works.
Old 08-02-2004, 02:38 AM
Paras
Drifting

Thanks for all of your posts. I thought the low oil indication could be because of the way I was parked and so I waited for a bit and drove fot a little while but the indicator did not go away so I added a quart and that indicator didn't come on again. I checked the oil today and it was perfect right at the upper end of the full line.

The low oil pressure indicator has been going off the last 3 days right when I start so I just revved the engine a little and then start to go and then the oil pressure gauge all of a sudden seems like it turns on and I'm within range. Then I see the oil pressure fall within range and go up and down as the RPMs go up and down. Everything seems fine, the car drives just like normal... And the low oil pressure indication clears itself??? Interestingly enough, my miles per gallon reset itself??? Could it be the computer?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 634 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
Read his post !!! he is not talking about oil pressure.. he is talking about oil level two different things .... two different sensors...
if their is oil on the stick , there is no major problem... just a parking glitch in the way the oil level sensor works.
Uhh, perhaps you should read the whole post. He speaks of the low oil level first, but then goes on to discuss the oil pressure. Try reading more than the first sentence next time, please.

As for this issue, it could be just a sensor, but it could also be a sticking pressure relief valve. If there is a problem with low oil pressure it is very serious. I'd test it with a verified gauge hooked up.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Terry Corp
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NW Events Coordinator

I had the same problem while on a trip. The low oil pressure message came on when started, then disapeared in 10 seconds or so. The oil pressure gauge would slowly pick up to normal pressure and maintain normal pressure.

My Corvette is a 2000 Coupe, and I was informed by my dealership the oil pump was faulty. It was later confirmed to me that the factory had a run of faulty pumps causing this problem to occur.

You may want to check with your dealer to see if that is the problem and determine if a free fix is available... In any case, you should definitely get it checked out right away.

Terry
Old 08-05-2004, 01:21 AM
Paras
Drifting

I plan to have it checked out vrey soon. Thanks for the input!
Old 08-05-2004, 03:59 AM
blu00rdstr
Melting Slicks

Here's a thought. The low oil level may not have been true, then you bring the oil overfull.

When the oil is overfull, the crank 'froths' the oil full of air bubbles. The oil pump sucks in oil with bubbles and pressure drops.

Double-check the oil level, you may have overfilled it. Also push the dipstick down hard, the tube may have slipped up out of it's hole in the block, and may be adding to the problem.

Last edited by blu00rdstr; 08-05-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Paras
Drifting

Default Thanks

I'll double check the oil level. I checked the oil a few days ago and it seemed just right but maybe you're right. I'll check it this evening.

-Paras
Old 08-05-2004, 04:26 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Paras:
If the DIC says "low oil pressure" at start up and you don't live in Antartica, there's a problem.

The DIC oil pressure warning has a built in delay so that it doesn't come on immediately at start up (when there's never any pressure).

If it comes on after start up, the pressure is not building up quickly enough. Your problem could be anything from a stuck pressure by pass valve in the oil filter base to a oil pump problem.

Regardless, if every time you start up cold, the DIC warns of low pressure, you are eating the engine's bearings. Go get it fixed like NOW.
Cire
Old 08-06-2004, 01:29 AM
Paras
Drifting

Cire--my low oil pressure indication comes on immediately after I turn the car on and then goes away within 30 seconds... In any case, I'm going to have it looked at very soon...
Old 08-06-2004, 11:07 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Paras:
Great. I wouldn't wait very long, Thirty seconds without oil pressure is a very long time. Think of the oil advertisemant that references the damaging effect of starting an engine. It's all about the fact that at start up, there isn't any pressure - but that's normally only a second or less. Good luck.
Cire

Get notified of new replies

To Low oil pressure

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure