C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a bigger throttle body going to help that much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 12:55 AM
oufan2929
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Is a bigger throttle body going to help that much?

I'm fixing to be installing a H/C setup on my car. How vital is it to go ahead and do the TB along w/it. thanks--Andy

Last edited by oufan2929; 07-27-2004 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:16 AM
vettemaster1
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imo... it is not necessary for head /cam... really only need it for big bore/ strokers.....may actually hurt part throttle driveabilty....also cause idle issues......
Old 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
gairno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stick to your stock TB.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 AM
GOOSE JR.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching the same swap Vinci highperformance told me until a bigger intake came out it wouldn't help much, maybe 3or4 rwhp. I saw in one of the corvette magazines a test on the new FAST intake give www.vincihighperformance.com alook to see if they've dynoed the intake yet. Gary
Old 07-28-2004, 10:57 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Vinci installed the 90mm FAST setup on my stroker but a bitch to tune--Nick Williams is coming down this weekend and we are installing his latest version on the fast intake and it should run great--a bigger or ported TB on an ls6 intake is probably not worth the trouble--TPIS makes a widemouth oval 1200cfm TB and they alter the ls6 intake to accept it in the 900 range for both pieces and this has worked well--a lot of the heads cam guys have put the 90mm FAST setup and TB on their cars with great results and are getting 20 to 25 more rwhp out of their H/C setups and the 346 ci cars are easier to tune it in on by far---I would recommend using Nicks 90mm TB however it has become a far superior piece and the tuning is a breeze comparatively in fact most guys are installing it with the same tune they have for the smaller TB and there is very little tweaking at all but you would be very impressed with throttle response and the power--
Old 07-28-2004, 01:36 PM
pdd000
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

definatly worth it in my opinion
Old 07-28-2004, 02:39 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Not that GM is the be-all, end-all when it comes to what works or doesn't work, but... from their press release about the LS2 motor --

A summary of new or changed components for the Gen IV architecture:

Larger 90-mm throttle body: The 6.0-liter displacement requires a higher volume of intake air; the Gen III throttle body is 75 mm. The new throttle body is mounted to a revised-design composite intake manifold with tuned runners to optimize airflow to individual cylinders.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:02 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nuke61
Not that GM is the be-all, end-all when it comes to what works or doesn't work, but... from their press release about the LS2 motor --

A summary of new or changed components for the Gen IV architecture:

Larger 90-mm throttle body: The 6.0-liter displacement requires a higher volume of intake air; the Gen III throttle body is 75 mm. The new throttle body is mounted to a revised-design composite intake manifold with tuned runners to optimize airflow to individual cylinders.
Rumor has it that the 90mm LS2 intake is cheaper in price than the current LS6 one. Like I said, that's rumored, but from a pretty good source!
Old 07-28-2004, 03:09 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Polish your stock TB. I like mine from CamminBeasst
Old 07-28-2004, 06:18 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oufan2929
I'm fixing to be installing a H/C setup on my car. How vital is it to go ahead and do the TB along w/it. thanks--Andy
I think there is power to be gained by going to the 90 mm setup. But, like NEPTUNEBILL says the issue becomes the tuning, You need to have someone local that knows how to tune for the setup. I have seen cam only cars gain 20 hp just by adding the 90mm setup but, some other have gained little. It really depends on your car. Some respond well to the 90 other do not. Some of the tuning may be eliminated by using the Nick W TB. But, I can not attest to this first hand.
I am going to experiment with a 90 mm setup soon on my car to see if it will get me any more hp. If it doesn't, I'll put the stocker back on and sell it.
You'll never know unilt you try it!!!!!
Old 07-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by oufan2929
A ported stock throttle body with proper idle tuning helps al H&C cars. Proof - LPE puts one of their ported stock TBs on every application that goes out of their doors ( personal conversation- Ed Potter).
90 mm Fast intakes have been used by many, with stock displacement, and with the right TB have been very successful. Even with A4 cars.
I have no sound proof (of performance gains) of this - but my car has a 90mm FAST and 90 mm Nick William's TB and runs like a scalded dog.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:00 AM
GOOSE JR.
Pro

Originally Posted by Bink
A ported stock throttle body with proper idle tuning helps al H&C cars. Proof - LPE puts one of their ported stock TBs on every application that goes out of their doors ( personal conversation- Ed Potter).
90 mm Fast intakes have been used by many, with stock displacement, and with the right TB have been very successful. Even with A4 cars.
I have no sound proof (of performance gains) of this - but my car has a 90mm FAST and 90 mm Nick William's TB and runs like a scalded dog.

Where can I get Nick Williiams info ? Thanks Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Is a bigger throttle body going to help that much?

Quick Reply: Is a bigger throttle body going to help that much?