C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:35 AM
scool93535
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Car won't start

I think the problem is the safety switch that requires the clutch to be pushed when starting. Does anyone know where this switch is located. I'm guessing under the dash on the clutch peddle?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 07-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Steve

There is a switch mounted on the FIRE WALL! The clutch pedel hits it when you depress the clutch all the way to the floor! That would be a good place to start!
If that switch is good, I recommend checking the Anti Theft relay!! It is in the passengers foot well, behind the toe board. When you remove the toe board you will se a silver box. That is the BCM. The relay is located above that box and it is attached to the fire wall. The one in my 98 coupe was full of water! The moisture comes from a couple places!
The small black hose that is attached to your blower motor will drip condensation when you have the AC or defrost on! Cold air from the AC plenum cools the blower motor and the cokd air causes the hose to drip water! That moisture can and does drip into that relay.
I took my relay apart and it literly fell apart!
Your AC/Heater box drain can also be clogged and water can get into the passengers compartment there also. Check to see if your carpet and underlayment is wet or damp!

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 01:51 AM
gman16
Advanced

Default Car won't start

I also have the problem of my car not starting. I put the key in,turn the ignition and get full electrical power, but the starter won't turn the motor. Sometimes I have to keep turning the key as much as 10-15 times before the starter kicks it over and it fires up. Other times I turn the key and just hold it there(turned) forever and it suddenly fires up. First I had the starter replaced (that didn't fix it) then I had the theft relay replaced and that did not fix it either. Is this what you are experiencing? Anyone else ever had this problem? Any suggestions?
Old 07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

GMAN16

What year car do you have??

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 02:22 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Is it a MN6 or Automatic??

Bill
Old 07-28-2004, 02:50 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

GMAN16

Here are a few things that you can check. The ignition switch could be bad but that would be the last thing that I would change. Have you tried a different key? The resistor pellet in the key could be causing an ID issue and not allowing the BCM to start the car.

The BCM controls the starter through the Theft Deterrent relay The BCM gets the ignition (start) siginal and then enables the theft relay to energize thus energizing the starter solenoid. The clutch pedal position switch or the park nutral position switch could also be bad!!
** There is a GROUND wire at the starter that the solonid uses to complete the circuit and provide power to the starter.** That ground wire could be causing all of your problems!!

I would remove that ground and make sure that it is in good condition, then clean the ground point on the engine and then reconnect the wire! It is a PITA to get to! Been there!

A quick way to eliminate a lot of this circuit would be to remove the theft deterrent relay and get a momentary push to contact switch (the old starter bypass switch) and jumper it betwen the plug contacts C1 & A2.
C1 will be the large red wire and A2 will be the large purple wire.
If you position the ignition key to "RUN" and press the "JUMPER SWITCH" and the the starter doesnt work, the problem is on the starter side! If it starts fine, the problem is the other way! Using this jumper wire can seriously help troubleshoot this circuit!

Please keep us informed as to what you try and how it turns out!!

Bill Curlee

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 07-28-2004 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Andy H
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had this intermitent problem on my '99 A4.

In the past 6 months it has done this about 5 times (mostly in my driveway but once or twice in public ).

Sometimes I take the key out and wait a few minutes and it starts just fine. Recently I have removed and reseated the ignition fuse and it has started after that every time.

I pretty much don't have a clue what is causing this problem but it is a PITA and I would like to get it resolved once and for all.

It's hard to troubleshoot an intermitent problem like this because it happens so infrequently.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
gman16
Advanced

Default Car won't start

Hey guys thanks for the advice. I'm gonna see if either of these repair suggestions will fix it. At first it was once in awhile,but now it's almost every start! The guys over at Coast Corvette couldn't figure it out and I don't want to bring it to the dealer. I hope this works.
Thanks again!!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:08 AM
scool93535
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
GMAN16

What year car do you have??

Bill
97 Coupe.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:15 AM
scool93535
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
GMAN16

Here are a few things that you can check. The ignition switch could be bad but that would be the last thing that I would change. Have you tried a different key? The resistor pellet in the key could be causing an ID issue and not allowing the BCM to start the car.

The BCM controls the starter through the Theft Deterrent relay The BCM gets the ignition (start) siginal and then enables the theft relay to energize thus energizing the starter solenoid. The clutch pedal position switch or the park nutral position switch could also be bad!!
** There is a GROUND wire at the starter that the solonid uses to complete the circuit and provide power to the starter.** That ground wire could be causing all of your problems!!

I would remove that ground and make sure that it is in good condition, then clean the ground point on the engine and then reconnect the wire! It is a PITA to get to! Been there!

A quick way to eliminate a lot of this circuit would be to remove the theft deterrent relay and get a momentary push to contact switch (the old starter bypass switch) and jumper it betwen the plug contacts C1 & A2.
C1 will be the large red wire and A2 will be the large purple wire.
If you position the ignition key to "RUN" and press the "JUMPER SWITCH" and the the starter doesnt work, the problem is on the starter side! If it starts fine, the problem is the other way! Using this jumper wire can seriously help troubleshoot this circuit!

Please keep us informed as to what you try and how it turns out!!

Bill Curlee
Bill, All very good suggestions but, no joy. I've tried both keys. Everything lights up like it should and the radio comes on. I've had the clutch switch problem intermittently before. Have to let out on the clutch and push it down again to get it to start. This time it didn't help. I'll get down under the dash today and see what I find. If the firewall switch seems ok, I'll try the jumper switch on the relay. I'll also check the starter fuse.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:39 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You can also jumper out the clutch switch with a paper clip. That will take that switch out of the picture and prove it bad or good! Just take the plug off the switch, bend a paper clip into a "U" and install it into the trrminals in the plug! If it is good, the next place that you will need to jumper is the theft relay. If that doesnt cause it to start, I have some other recommendations that you can try.

Please post your results!

BC

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Car won't start

Quick Reply: HELP!! Car won't start