C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure Sensors - fitting to Z06 - how to

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 03:10 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire Pressure Sensors - fitting to Z06 - how to

My searches haven't fully answered my question so here goes: I want to add the GM tire pressure sensors to my '04 Z06. Can anyone describe the process to me? Essentially, I just want to know when I'm losing pressure realizing that I won't have run flats - plus I like the technology of having them!

Will the '01-04 sensor fit the Z06 wheel w/out mods?
Any sealing issues on the rims?
Will they work with the stock F1 tires?
How do you enable the Z06 DIC to see them?
Anything else to look out for?
Too many questions perhaps but thanks for any insight.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:28 PM
N2DEEP
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06COMMEM#1578
My searches haven't fully answered my question so here goes: I want to add the GM tire pressure sensors to my '04 Z06. Can anyone describe the process to me? Essentially, I just want to know when I'm losing pressure realizing that I won't have run flats - plus I like the technology of having them!

Will the '01-04 sensor fit the Z06 wheel w/out mods?
Any sealing issues on the rims?
Will they work with the stock F1 tires?
How do you enable the Z06 DIC to see them?
Anything else to look out for?
Too many questions perhaps but thanks for any insight.

Sorry i cant answer your question's but i can tell you that they went to a different sensor in 04 so if you have a 04 you will need to buy a sensor for 04 only
Old 07-27-2004, 05:38 PM
mwittkopf
Instructor

The sensors are actually the same for 01-04 so any of the later ones will work. They did change the part number, but they didn't actually change the sensor. All of the years from 01+ went to the new number.

The TP sensors will screw directly in the rims with the old valve stem removed. Then you will have to have someone activate the module using a TechII at a shop or dealership. That will be it!

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 05:50 PM
2k1vert
Pro

I believe you will have biger problems to deal with than just adding in the tire sensors. The BCM actually contains the code to monitor and display the DIC info for the tire pressure sensors. I believe the BCM is programmed at the time the Car is built based on its model and options. Hence Z06 don't have the Tire Pressure monitor code enable or downloaded. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime it, but I think I'm close to being on the right track here.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 PM
mwittkopf
Instructor

It is programmed from the factory, but that is where the TechII comes in. Every dealership has one and most repair shops have one as well. They work worders. You can turn on the twilight sentinal on the Z06's if you want the option as well. For some reason the sensor is there, but it is turned off.

Mike
Old 07-27-2004, 06:26 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

This is easy, I added the LTP sensors to my 03 Z. Order the sensors from Parts Bob @ Fichtner Chevrolet (he's one of our supporting vendors) Came to $215 shipped. Take to local Cheby dealer, they will install and activate them and re-balance the tires, was charged $160 for all that. They bolt right in with no issues.

Here's the link on what they have to do to the BCM (I actually had to give them a copy of this. They said it was PERFECT and kept a copy for future use).

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

It's easy and I like having the advance warning a tire is going low which might give me more time to find a more safe and secure spot to deal with a flat. If that fails I'll air the puppy up to 36 to 38 PSI and continue on in hopes that gets me to a repair facility or a place to deal with it.

I think it's worth the $375 I spent.

Tom
Old 07-27-2004, 06:35 PM
Basement
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ok...so maybe you guys can answer this question for me please.

If I want to put a set of '04 Z06 wheels on my '99 coupe, I'll need to have 01-04 sensors put in, then get the tires rebalanced, and have the correct info updated into my car by the dealer? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:44 PM
2k1vert
Pro

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
This is easy, I added the LTP sensors to my 03 Z. Order the sensors from Parts Bob @ Fichtner Chevrolet (he's one of our supporting vendors) Came to $215 shipped. Take to local Cheby dealer, they will install and activate them and re-balance the tires, was charged $160 for all that. They bolt right in with no issues.

Here's the link on what they have to do to the BCM (I actually had to give them a copy of this. They said it was PERFECT and kept a copy for future use).

http://www.stopforce.com/RPO.html

It's easy and I like having the advance warning a tire is going low which might give me more time to find a more safe and secure spot to deal with a flat. If that fails I'll air the puppy up to 36 to 38 PSI and continue on in hopes that gets me to a repair facility or a place to deal with it.

I think it's worth the $375 I spent.

Tom
Very Thanks for the link!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:36 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Basement
Ok...so maybe you guys can answer this question for me please.

If I want to put a set of '04 Z06 wheels on my '99 coupe, I'll need to have 01-04 sensors put in, then get the tires rebalanced, and have the correct info updated into my car by the dealer? Thanks.
You have it backwards. The car doesn't care what wheels you have, it cares that the sensors match the model year of the car. 99s will need a 97-00 tire pressure sensor. You should be able to use your current sensors, and the option is already activated on your car. It only needs to be activated on 01 and up ZO6s, which didn't come with run-flat tires.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:15 PM
Basement
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey fdxpilot...thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case, but was confused about it. Glad to know I won't need to buy some sensors!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:12 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You might have to shop around for a GM dealer that is knowledgable and willing to to the up-grade! I have a local Chevy dealer shop that I asked to do the BCM programming! The service writer treated me like I was a BOOB! :mad He told me that there was no way that I could have installed sensors in ZO6 rims and there was not any way of making a ZO6 read TPS

I gave him a piece of my mind and went to another dealer who was glad to do it! I also provided them the Tech II instructions which made them very happy!

I now have operational sensors!! VERY COOL!!

BC
Old 07-28-2004, 07:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I found out today that the type of tires that you run can effect the Tire Pressure Sensors

1997-2001: Service Bulletin: Info - Wheel Pressure Sensors Unable to be Reprogrammed after Tire Replacement
Source: Chevrolet Dealer Service Bulletin
Number: 00-03-10-005
Subject: Info - Wheel Pressure Sensors Unable to be Reprogrammed after Tire Replacement
Model Year: 1997-2001

Some dealers may find it difficult to reprogram the wheel mounted air pressure sensors on vehicles which have replacement tires installed. If this is the case, verify the brand and model of the tires. One tire that is known to cause this condition is the Goodyear® Eagle™ F-1. The Goodyear® Eagle™ F-1 uses a unique "all-steel" case construction. The sidewall reinforcement, as well as the tread belts, are made from a woven steel strand material. The presence of this material may cause degradation of the signals generated by the wheel mounted sensors. Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) replacement tires must have Goodyear® Eagle™ F-1 GS EMT molded into the sidewall of the tire. If the tire does not have the GS designation, it is an all steel construction Goodyear® Eagle™ F-1 tire.

This type of interference may not be limited to the Goodyear® Eagle™ F-1 tire. As other manufacturers produce replacements for the Corvette, the individual peculiarities of those tires cannot be predicted. Using OEM replacement tires as identified above is the customer's best assurance of trouble free performance.

What to Advise the Customer
If an inspection of the wheel mounted sensor reveals no visible damage caused by improper installation of the tires, you should recommend that the customer install OEM tires to correct this condition. Further point out to the customer that the current aftermarket tires do not afford the run-flat feature of the original equipment tires. As the Corvette is not fitted with a spare tire, this could be a serious inconvenience to the customer.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by C5 Frederik : 07-26-2004 at 05:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:27 PM
INFERNO Z07
Racer

Since the TSB referred to is for the older models I wonder if the newer sensors addressed the issue w/ a stronger signal, etc. to overcome the steel tires, F1.....? Thoughts? I'm going to try it anyway.

My local dealer scares me a bit, I called the other day to get them to quote ceramic pads and the parts guy told me there was no such thing. Once I gave him the part numbers he quotes me something like $275 for the set. Needless to say I ordered them from the dealer on this forum for $90 or whatever. Competence is hard to find these days - when you find it stick with them......

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure Sensors - fitting to Z06 - how to

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors - fitting to Z06 - how to