C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 04:35 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP

I got Supermaxx headers installed on saturday. It was the shops first time on a C5..their tuner is top notch and has done work on over 400 cars...my car stalled while cruising at 40mph on monday and started up w/ no problem. I met the tuner and he richened my a/f to 13.0:1 for my own piece of mind but said my car looked perfect. I drove 300 miles up to tallahassee to go home w/ no problem. Today my car stalled again. started Stalling as if it was running on 1/2 of its cylinders...it'd go and stop and go and stop and finally my check engine light started flashing. I dropped it off at chevy and they are looking into it. I talked to Nate @ corvettegarage, and he says it can't be the tune, but more likely a bad 02 Sensor, loose 02 sensor, loosing MAF wire, or my wires might have been hitting the Headers and it burn through the plastic into the wires and grounded them. What are your thoughts...if this was a common problem everyone would never buy headers. I am hoping this isn't going to cost an arm and a leg as the headers, C5R lights, and Wing w/ install weren't cheap. Any advise is appreciated.

[Modified by spoiled996, 3:36 PM 7/6/2004]
Old 07-06-2004, 05:37 PM
16Again
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '20

Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (spoiled996)

Might have burned through a couple of wires. Not all that uncommon with headers on these cars.
Bob
Old 07-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Heretic
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only complaint with the supermaxx headers was that the wires they provide to lengthen the harness for the 02s are too short for a really good routing.
I installed my headers in about 6 hours of work then took 2 days figuring out the best way to keep the wires from buring.

Point of the story, I'll bet you burned a 02 wire, somewhere around the brackets that tie the headers to the bell housing.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:22 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (Heretic)

Heretic,

Did you extend the wires on yours? I am going to install mine soon, I sent the headers to be coated and am waiting for them to come back. Thanks for the information!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:26 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (Heretic)

My only complaint with the supermaxx headers was that the wires they provide to lengthen the harness for the 02s are too short for a really good routing.
I installed my headers in about 6 hours of work then took 2 days figuring out the best way to keep the wires from buring.

Point of the story, I'll bet you burned a 02 wire, somewhere around the brackets that tie the headers to the bell housing.
I have this system on order right now, can you post pics of your wire install or e-mail them to me?

Kevin
Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

ttt
Old 07-06-2004, 11:11 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

It's easy to cross the left and right O2 sensors up when reinstalling them. Car won't run right if these wires are reversed.

Edit - I see from your other post they already fixed the left/right O2 wiring, so must be something else

[Modified by CliffB-99, 10:22 PM 7/6/2004]
Old 07-07-2004, 08:13 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12
Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (CliffB-99)

the left front 02 is in the left bank, and the right is in the right...the rears are crossed as specified by supermaxx...
Old 07-07-2004, 11:02 AM
rwj383
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say the check engine light comes on then the car stalls? It is important to find out what codes and other info can be provided by the DIC. it is plausible that your tuner adjusted one of your tables too far out, such as the MAF table. If youre going to REduced Engine Power, an improperly tuned PCM can be the culprit. If everything else checks out ok with all the sensors that were associated with the install, I'd look here. Pull your codes, this will be more clues.

Robert http://www.gen3motorsports.com
Old 07-07-2004, 11:14 AM
Automag928
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (rwj383)

Pull your codes, this will be more clues.
Defintely...the codes will tell you alot! Turn the key to on (car not running). Hold down the options button the DIC, and press Fuel 4 times within 10 seconds...Then start righting down everything that has a "C" to the right...That stands for current as in the computer is identifing that as a current trouble. H is for historical troubles...Then check your codes and see what it might be.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:45 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (Automag928)

id bet you have a cracked plug. The wires on the dynatech arent that close to the primaries. Or perhaps they did what I did the first time and crossed the front o2 harnesses. But when that happened it ran like crap only at part throttle. WOT was fine.
FWIW, you should not have any stalling or sputtering of any sort w/ just a header install. A tune wont fix a car that just stalls IMO. You have other issues related to the install of the headers.

Dave

[Modified by TT_Vert, 10:47 AM 7/7/2004]
Old 07-07-2004, 12:51 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12
Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (TT_Vert)

we did cross the front 02 wired at first, then i remembered your thread and we switched them to Left to Left, Right to Right. The car was dropped off at chevy yesterday as i am 300 miles away from where the tune & install occured. It has stalled on me twice, but the last time it just was real hesitant and the check engine light was flashing and would stop then start again. I was hoping to have an update from chevy but the head mechanics child had an accident so he hasn't been in yet today to look at it. im hoping it was nothing major. Nick from corvettegarage thinks its a burn wire that grounded out, or a damaged 02 sensor...with the car being at chevy i can't pull any codes right now. Ugh...all this time and $ spent this weekend doing all these mods and i can't drive my car...any of you guys miss your car when you drop it off for a while? I wonder if i would get better performance #'s with having the car running right instead of this off and on problem since the install...
Old 07-07-2004, 01:10 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

im pretty sure the flashing CE light is a misfire on all cylinders? P0300? Mine did this once too after install but was probally because of my o2 mixup. Sounds like a simple igntion issue. Either a wire or plug. My friend had the same problem when he tried to do headers w/o pulling the plugs. One plug had the ceramic cracked clean off of it. Same symptoms you have to the Tee. Replaced the plug and hes keeping up w/ me now

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 01:50 PM
3C2
Instructor

I just had the same headers installed by the same folks at RX. I will be driving the hizzle out of this car so I will let you know if I have any similar problems. Dino did make a small mod under the car to keep the rear o2 extension wires away from the pipes. We'll see if that makes a difference. Keep us posted on what happens.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:50 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12
Default Re: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP (3C2)

we changed all spark plugs and wires when we did the install...just found out the corvette mechanic will not be back now until tuesday. WTF ...can't another mechanic take care of this?
Old 07-07-2004, 03:36 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

so i assume you put the plugs in AFTER the headers were in the car not before cause it was easier? I'd think any GM mecfh. could look at your car.

Dave
Old 07-07-2004, 03:46 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

i believe that the spark plugs were installed after the headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP

Old 07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

the wire harness that goes to the front sensors was laying on top of the headers and the coating had burned off and the wires were burned through. I called RevExtreme and talked to Dino and he was going to make some calls and ship up a new harness which was only like $20, versus having Chevy make one up which will cost $220 for parts and time. Waiting to hear back from RevX whether they found them or not. Hopefully they will also cover the damage as it was their first install and mistakes are bound to happen. I still would recommend them to anyone...they are a great bunch of guys with a sweet shop! Hopefully ill get my car back tomorrow. one piece of mind was that my tech is also good friends with the cam installer and the tuner i used down in tampa, so he will make sure its done right
Old 07-07-2004, 06:58 PM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

talked to Dan at RevX and they are sending me 2 new harnesses NDA to arrive on friday ( warehouse was closed allready today) Thanks RevX
Old 07-07-2004, 08:05 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Was the o2 sensor extension harness burned through? Or was it the OEM harness?

Quick Reply: Problem with Header install...PLEASE HELP