C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Exedy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 09:53 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Exedy)

So I just swapped out my clutch assembly, pilot and throwout.

At idle, in neutral, with the clutch out, there is a sound. It sounds like a tin can, with pebbles in it, being shaken or rolled. Push the clutch in - sound goes away. While driving - no sound. Just idle in neutral with the clutch out.

Never had a new clutch - is this a normal sound while breaking it in? Right now, I have almost no interior in, just the shifter with the rubber base. I took out the rubber base and the sound was MUCH louder. It's definitely coming from the torque tube/bellhousing. Can't really hear it outside the car, though the car is pretty loud, I admit.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure I've heard the same sound before, my buddy has an Omni that he races, and it has a race clutch in it. It makes that sound at idle in neutral, and if you push in the clutch and then let it up really slow, it goes away. No luck with me though.

I have about 5 miles on the clutch btw, tops. Feels pretty good so far. Getting used to launching it. It's nothing like my old Cartek. With that clutch no matter how slowly I'd let the clutch out it felt like I was dumping it on every shift. Slow launches were nearly impossible too. Pedal effort is greatly improved too. If stock was a 1, and cartek was a 10, the Exedy is maybe a 4-5. Chatters quite a bit coming off the line but I imagine that's normal with a new clutch. Definitely far less harsh than the cartek (which chattered till the day I replaced it when it was completely worn out).

Anyway, back on subject, any ideas? I put in a new throwout bearing, maybe I installed it wrong? All I did was pull the old one off by rotating it till it popped off, then put the new one on by lining up the slots, pushing it on and then rotating it so it wouldn't pop off again. Didn't seem to be any other way of doing it.

Dope
Old 06-27-2004, 10:54 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Dope)

Dat be normal.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:03 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Normal permanently or normal until I break in the clutch? I sure hope it's not permanent, my cartek didn't make that sound. Hopefully when I put the interior back in it will kill the noise a bit.

Dope
Old 06-28-2004, 02:18 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Every C5 I know makes that noise with a stock clutch. It's even mentioned in the little video they gave us.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:07 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Oh, hmmm. I guess it's cuz I have the interior out that I can hear it so loud. Plus, I just put a z06 catback on instead of corsa indys, so the car is quieter on the inside.

Once I get the cutouts put on and the interior together I'm sure it'll be gone

Dope
Old 06-28-2004, 12:00 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

if you dont have the center console in that is why you are hearing it so much. When i have my upper shifter boot off its very loud. With it on you barely hear it

dave
Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an exedy dual and it makes a little noise at idle but none under load and clutch gets better with a few miles and drives even better, never paid much attention to the noise as my car is rather loud as well--
Old 06-28-2004, 02:41 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Mine does the exact same thing. IN fact, they replaced the slave thinking it was the problem and it sounds exactly the same. Normal with the Exedy IMO.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:14 PM
ilcorvettegiallo
Instructor

Default Re: What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Buckmaster)

Mine does the same also. There is a little insert sheet with the clutch stating it is normal and to expect it.
Old 06-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Cool, now if only I could get rid of this chatter. It's horrifying. My Cartek that was worn to the rivets (the rivets were about halfway worn down when I got the clutch out) didn't even chatter as bad. Of course, I have maybe 30 miles on the clutch at this point. Maybe I'll go try a few 6k rpm dumps and see if it gets any better Unfortunately the documentation did mention a 300 or 350 mile break-in, and to take it easy. *sigh*

Dope
Old 06-28-2004, 03:22 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

The chatter should completely stop. Mine doesn't chatter at all. Break it in.......trust me. Take it easy for a few hundred IMO. Don't glaze it like mine was...................................if you do glaze it you will hate the clutch
Old 06-28-2004, 04:09 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Gotcha. When did yours stop chattering? Btw, does break-in miles mean stop + go or could I just drive 300 miles on the highway? Doesn't seem that the latter would be doing much to break in the clutch.

Dope

Get notified of new replies

To What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Exedy)

Quick Reply: What is this sound in neutral after clutch swap? (Exedy)