C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:24 PM
The One
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine!

Driving along normally at 45 (semi-bumpy road).
Suddenly the dash lights up - (Active Handling, Security, etc.).
The DIC starts flashing Service Vehicle Soon, Service Tire Monitring System, Reduced Engine Power, etc. The car never actually went into Reduced Engine Power mode, but the DIC kept flashing it.

Then, for about 30 seconds, the gauges flat-lined. Everything went to 0 including the fuel gauge, volts - everything. Then they came back up. The whole time the car ran fine - no hiccups, spurts, stalls - nothing abnormal.

Pulled over and cleared codes. Everything except PCM P1626 cleared. That code instantly came back after clearing it. Got the car home and pulled all codes. Pretty much all of them were set. The notable ones were that P1626 PCM and an A1 RDCM NO COMM (right door control module.) The right side window/door locks are now dead.

What the hell happened?

The only thing done to the car recently (3-4 weeks ago) was the addition of an Optima Red Top to replace the stock battery which was going bad. A few weeks prior to that I had a shift light put in and wired to the harness under the dash (not over to the passenger side like many people do.)

Any help is appreciated before I trek to the dealer to put that GMPP extended warranty to work!

[Modified by The One, 9:25 PM 6/23/2004]
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 PM
jays98
Intermediate

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (The One)

just happened to me, was the a/c on? if so check the passenger side floor to see if it is wet near the computer, if so your a/c drain is clogged, pull the hose off from under the hood in the center of the firewall and poke a coat hanger or something of the sort in there to unlclog the drain
Old 06-23-2004, 10:37 PM
The One
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (jays98)

Thought of that myself. Everything's dry in the passenger footwell.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:07 AM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (The One)

You may have a bad ground connection that the bumpy road really kicked out of contact, it sure sounds like an interruction of electric flow.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:29 AM
LittleBoyBlu99
Le Mans Master

Keep us posted
Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 AM
yellowvette837
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03 thru'19
Tampa Events Princess
2015 C6 of Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

The DIC starts flashing Service Vehicle Soon, Service Tire Monitring System, Reduced Engine Power, etc.
I had this happen about a year ago. (on the way to the dealer to fix another problem)
They never figured it out, but it also has never happened again
Old 06-24-2004, 08:28 AM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (CAPN17)

You may have a bad ground connection that the bumpy road really kicked out of contact, it sure sounds like an interruction of electric flow.

Sounds like a momentary voltage dip to me. This happened to me exactly once (when I was running late for a date of all things.) Gets your attention doesn't it? I later cleaned and tightened up the battery terminals which *seemed* a little loose though that might just have been wishful thinking on my part.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 AM
The One
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (CAPN17)

I'm leaning toward that explanation as well. Car's in the shop today, so hopefully it can be diagnosed quickly. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Hiteck
Racer

I recently got all of these on my DIC too. I pulled the entire interior out of the car to install insulation. While I was doing this, in the drivers side rear storage compartment (coupe), there is a module (don't know proper name for it) with two connections into it. When I disconnected it and pulled it out of the car, I cranked it up to pull forward into the garage. The dash went haywire just like you explained. Said everything you said, plus inoperable shocks, reduce speed to 80mph, and a few others. Scared me stiff. So later I hooked it back up and cranked up the car, no problem. If you have F45, maybe the wiring to this may be loose?
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (Hiteck)

my shift lite is wires under the dash,, not in pass side,, no problems here so far......sounds like a bad connection,,,I get a code for my right door every now and then,,,,,still works fine
Old 06-25-2004, 09:10 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The C5 is unique in that all 10 modules communicate over a serial data line.For some reason,when the door control module loses power or ground indicated by "NO COMM" on the DIC,it causes havoc with the other modules.
The harness to the door controls routes through the rubber acordian grommett located at the front door jam.If you pop the grommett out,you can pull out 2 connectors out of the door jam,one blue and one black.If you disconnect the black connector,you will see that the female connector pins have spread causing poor contact on the orange wire (power) or the ground wire (black).You can insert a pick into the back side of the connector terminals to close up the gap in the terminal creating proper contact with the male end connector.
This is a common issue that is caused by stress on the harness from opening and closing the doors over time.Actually,you can recreate the condition by simply operating the windows while swinging the door open and closed at the same time
Good luck
Old 06-25-2004, 09:23 PM
The One
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (C-5 TECH)

Knew you'd have some good info for me C-5 TECH.
Thanks a million.

I did just pick up the car and that is one of the things the shop (not a dealer) did. They basically went through all the ground points on the car to make sure they were all clean and tight. Got the car home just fine - no codes or issues whatsoever. I got on it - just a little , to make sure though.

Thanks you all for the feedback.

Old 06-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default Re: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine! (C-5 TECH)

Wow!!!.......you really seem to know your stuff!!!!

Any chance you could look at my post about Pinging/Predetonation in this forum??

Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine!

Quick Reply: Dash lit up like a christmas tree - all codes - car still ran fine!