C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recommended oil filter for '02 Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Nfuego01
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended oil filter for '02 Z06?

I know everyone has an opinion regarding tires and oil, so how about a favorite oil filter? I've used Fram products for all of my other vehicles and have been very satisfied. Also, how much do you pay for an oil change in your area of the country? Do you take your baby to the dealer or to any old service station? The dealer here in Alaska wants to charge $80 for an oil change.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:25 PM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Nfuego01)

I know everyone has an opinion regarding tires and oil, so how about a favorite oil filter? I've used Fram products for all of my other vehicles and have been very satisfied. Also, how much do you pay for an oil change in your area of the country? Do you take your baby to the dealer or to any old service station? The dealer here in Alaska wants to charge $80 for an oil change.
Fram is crap.

Buy the ST3506 from WalMart for $2, it is made by Champion Labs and is a much better filter.

Buy Mobil1 or Supertech Synthetic 5W-30 from Walmart and just pay the labor to have the work done at your local station. Make sure they pre-fill the oil filter with fresh oil before they screw it on.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Bill C
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Sandra Bigwoode)

Fram is crap.

Buy the ST3506 from WalMart for $2, it is made by Champion Labs and is a much better filter.

Buy Mobil1 or Supertech Synthetic 5W-30 from Walmart and just pay the labor to have the work done at your local station. Make sure they pre-fill the oil filter with fresh oil before they screw it on.
Thats a good one. A filter for $2.00. The manufacture had to make money and Walmart will pull a profit out of this $2.00 sale. Sounds like a high quality product.

Spend $8.00 to $12.00 and buy a A/C Delco UPF44 filter for your $50,000.00+ Vette.

Bill
Old 06-23-2004, 11:05 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Nfuego01)

AMSOIL SDF32.

AMSOIL Oil Filter Comparison
Old 06-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Bill C)

Fram is crap.

Thats a good one. A filter for $2.00. The manufacture had to make money and Walmart will pull a profit out of this $2.00 sale. Sounds like a high quality product.

Spend $8.00 to $12.00 and buy a A/C Delco UPF44 filter for your $50,000.00+ Vette.

Bill
Actually the Supertech may be a better filter than the UPF 44 for a C5 particularly if you are going to run the car hard. The UPF series have very low flow rates and wouldn't my choice. The Supertech is made by Champion which also makes some of the Delco filters.

I like the Baldwin B31 as it shows a good combimation of flow and filtering.

Take a look at: http://www.oilfilterstudy.com/

Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Sandra Bigwoode
Racer

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Bill C)

Fram is crap.

Bill
You need to get out more and read some oil sites:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...?ubb=forum;f=6

The oil filters are all assembled by automatic lines, their content costs are likely similar, branding and fancy logos are what you are paying for...
Old 06-24-2004, 01:02 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Richin Chicago)

The UPF series have very low flow rates and wouldn't my choice.
I'd like someone to explain how this is possible. I've worked with positive displacement pumps and centrifugal pumps that pump liquid, and with PD pump, the flow rate you get is the flow rate you get. IOW, you cannot adjust flow except by reducing the speed of the pump. If you close a discharge valve, you either break pipes or the pump.

Isn't the oil pump a 3 lobe positive displacement pump, much like a roots type blower, but pumping oil instead of air?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:09 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (nuke61)

I'd like someone to explain how this is possible. I've worked with positive displacement pumps and centrifugal pumps that pump liquid, and with PD pump, the flow rate you get is the flow rate you get. IOW, you cannot adjust flow except by reducing the speed of the pump. If you close a discharge valve, you either break pipes or the pump.

Isn't the oil pump a 3 lobe positive displacement pump, much like a roots type blower, but pumping oil instead of air?
I can't answer the question on pump theory and pressure always being the same but I can tell you I saw the following. Oil temp 210 F RPM 1700 UPF 44 32 PSI K&N HP1007 40 PSI Baldwin B31 38 PSI.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:04 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I highly recommend the Baldwin B31 filter (same company the manufacturers the AMSoil filter). http://www.baldwinfilter.com/

Fram is crap.

Old 06-24-2004, 05:31 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (AlohaC5)

I think the K&N HP1007 is one of the best. I just bought two of them, even though I still haven't found a C5 yet! (but I should have one within the next week or two, and I'll be changing it's oil as soon as I get it home)
Old 06-24-2004, 06:10 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Fram is crap.

Bill

Actually the Supertech may be a better filter than the UPF 44 for a C5 particularly if you are going to run the car hard. The UPF series have very low flow rates and wouldn't my choice. The Supertech is made by Champion which also makes some of the Delco filters.

Running the Baldwin here also. Amsoil is another good filter.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:15 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would agree, I think the difference is how much do you then bypass as opposed to filtering. If the filter is restrictive, the oil will flow, but not necessarily through the filter element itself. In my opinion, a filter is a good combination of flow rate and ability to filter. Some filters handle this by not filtering the smaller particles (e.g. K&N), others by more surface area on a better filter media. There has been much debate on whether with a modern engine you are better off with more flow vs. more filtering.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Blkout
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Patman)

I think the K&N HP1007 is one of the best. I just bought two of them, even though I still haven't found a C5 yet! (but I should have one within the next week or two, and I'll be changing it's oil as soon as I get it home)

I use a K&N oil filter also.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Blkout)

Unless you know how the pump and system work, how can you then decide which filter is "best"?

Basic questions:
1) Where is the oil pressure sending unit relative to the filter? Is it downstream (after) the filter?

2) If the oil pump is a PD pump, then it will flow what it's rated at, regardless of what oil filter you use; however, since the real world results show that the oil pressure changes, that means it cannot be a PD pump

3) If its pump curve looks more like a centrifugal pump, regardless of its design:

A) IF the oil pressure is LOWER, then it is flowing MORE oil, assuming that the filter is the restriction in the motor

Take a look at the following "typical" centrifugal pump curve; flow is greatest when DP is lowest and vice-versa.
http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/02-html/2-03.html

[Modified by nuke61, 3:17 PM 6/24/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Unless you know how the pump and system work, how can you then decide which filter is "best"?

Basic questions:
1) Where is the oil pressure sending unit relative to the filter? Is it downstream (after) the filter?

2) If the oil pump is a PD pump, then it will flow what it's rated at, regardless of what oil filter you use; however, since the real world results show that the oil pressure changes, that means it cannot be a PD pump

3) If its pump curve looks more like a centrifugal pump, regardless of its design, and:

A) IF the oil pressure is read AFTER the oil filter, that means a filter with a LOWER indicated oil pressure is flowing MORE oil

B) IF the oil pressure is read BEFORE the oil filter, that means a filter with a LOWER indicated oil pressure is flowing LESS oil

So, where is the oil pressure sender, before or after the filter?
A and B are backwards. Restrictive flow lowers oil pressure. Just like
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=000513
Old 06-24-2004, 10:21 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Yeah, disregard original post

What I failed (miserably) to get across was:
With a centrifugal pump lower DP == greater flow

<bad info deleted>

[Modified by nuke61, 3:39 PM 6/24/2004]
Old 06-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Naw, B was incorrect. Original post has been corrected.

With a centrifugal pump lower DP == greater flow

I see people here upset that changing from filter X to filter Y dropped their oil pressure. Well, assuming nothing else changed in the system during the time you changed from X to Y, if the oil pressure dropped, that means you're getting more flow.

Ask youself, do you want pressure or flow?
Sorry but every test I have seen contradicts that.

Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 AM
nuke61
Drifting

You're right, see above post. I did a horrible job of putting into words what I was trying to say.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:31 AM
nuke61
Drifting

Default Re: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06? (Blkout)

Horrible brain fart...

Lower DP would mean greater pressure at discharge of filter. Sorry for all MY confusion, I hope I didn't add to any of yours

[Modified by nuke61, 3:34 PM 6/24/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To recommended oil filter for '02 Z06?

Quick Reply: recommended oil filter for '02 Z06?