C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Shift Points

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:07 PM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A4 Shift Points (KRK)

I'm confused... wouldn't these shift points apply to 3.42's w/ SY3500 as well?

here is what I sent:

1-2 38
2-3 73
3-4 119

2-1 33
3-2 69
4-3 115

RPM
1-2 6000
2-3 5900
3-4 5900

[Modified by KRK, 4:15 PM 5/19/2004]

You may want to shave a few mph off each shift point and adjust the rpm values down a few 100 also. That should account for the TC slippage.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Mr Cowl Hood
Racer

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (pettrix)

I had the following done to my A4:
Removed TMS, quickened shift times, increased line pressure from 83psi to 86psi

I believe that the above items are SAFE to do and actually can increase the life of the transmission.

BTW, those are just unitless values. Those are in NO WAY in psi. Think about it. If you had only 80 something psi during a shift, that trans would last about 10 shifts. There are better ways to raise line pressure without adjusting that table. :cheers:
Old 05-24-2004, 06:48 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (Mr Cowl Hood)

What are the WOT shift points (in rpm) on a completely stock car?

[Modified by Patman, 6:48 AM 5/24/2004]
Old 05-24-2004, 07:25 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (Patman)

What are the WOT shift points (in rpm) on a completely stock car?
:lurk: :lurk:

Interested in this, too. I've got the stock engine and A4 but with 3.42 gears and a 2800 TC. Any shift point mph/rpm suggestions for us "Street Warrior" types?

I guess removing TMS and increasing line pressure to ~86 psi should be done as well. Any additional suggestions about this?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:41 AM
OldSStroker
Instructor

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (GrayGlenn)

Right now I drive around the city in 3rd so it will stay out of 4th.
Why is it you do that? Is you engine heavily modified?

As far as part throttle shifts go, you can control them with your right foot. You can control downshifts fairly well also. My '97 will stay in 4th lockup for 40-50 mph passing if I just "crowd" the accelerator or push it to just before it wants to unlock the TC (first step) or downshift (second step). This conserves fuel and is NOT bad for the engine. Sure sometimes I need the acceleration from 3rd or even 2nd, but not often.

IMO, cruising in 3rd at part throttle wastes gas big time and just wears out the engine sooner. Same thing for a manual. Even a Z06 pulls well from around 1000 in 6th with no harm to the engine.

The rest of this thread discusses full throttle shift points.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:20 AM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (OldSStroker)

Right now I drive around the city in 3rd so it will stay out of 4th.
Why is it you do that? Is you engine heavily modified?

IMO, cruising in 3rd at part throttle wastes gas big time and just wears out the engine sooner. Same thing for a manual. Even a Z06 pulls well from around 1000 in 6th with no harm to the engine.
Stroker, your sig doesn't say but it sounds like you drive a manual. In an A4 when driving in and around the city, your car will slip easily into 4th gear (very good for fuel economy). However, when you need power quickly, the A4 lags badly in downshifting to 2nd or 3rd gear (thank you, TMS :smash: ). Anyway, driving in 3rd gives you the quick acceleration you need, when you need it, with almost no reduction in mpg. (I've tracked the mpg numbers on my drive to work several times but I also don't race from stoplight to stoplight.)

As for hurting the engine or tranny, many threads of this subject of city driving in 3rd gear conclude that, in a car that will do 120 plus in 3rd gear (A4, remember) with a stock engine and tranny cooler, driving in the city at 50 or 60 in 3rd gear really isn't a problem. Makes sense, right?

Just my thoughts.

Oh, BTW, this thread is about A4 shift points. (Yeah, I forgot too. :lol: :lol: )
Old 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (Mr Cowl Hood)

You may want to shave a few mph off each shift point and adjust the rpm values down a few 100 also. That should account for the TC slippage.
I did shave off a few MPH off of each shift (3 MPH to be exact). That was to take into account of variables like wheel spin, the TC, tire wear, etc...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:25 PM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (ArmyVette)

Interested in this, too. I've got the stock engine and A4 but with 3.42 gears and a 2800 TC. Any shift point mph/rpm suggestions for us "Street Warrior" types?

I guess removing TMS and increasing line pressure to ~86 psi should be done as well. Any additional suggestions about this?
I would personally leave the line pressure alone on a stock tranny, but that's just my opinion. I ran my old tranny with increased line pressure also but over time I've decided against it. I can send you my shift tables if you want to see them. I assume you have LS1 Edit?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:13 PM
OldSStroker
Instructor

Default Re: A4 Part-throttle Shift Points, et al.

Stroker, your sig doesn't say but it sounds like you drive a manual.

You might reread my post. " My '97 will stay in 4th lockup for 40-50 mph passing if I just "crowd" the accelerator or push it to just before it wants to unlock the TC (first step) or downshift (second step)." Nope, not an M6.

In an A4 when driving in and around the city, your car will slip easily into 4th gear (very good for fuel economy). However, when you need power quickly, the A4 lags badly in downshifting to 2nd or 3rd gear (thank you, TMS :smash: ).

Funny, but if I mat it RAPIDLY, my 4-2 downshift take a couple tenths of a second. I believe accelerator application rate is figured into how fast it downshifts. Maybe not. Yours might be sick.

Anyway, driving in 3rd gives you the quick acceleration you need, when you need it, with almost no reduction in mpg. (I've tracked the mpg numbers on my drive to work several times but I also don't race from stoplight to stoplight.)

It must be my car. Cruising at 50 is about 3+ mpg difference 4 to 3.

As for hurting the engine or tranny, many threads of this subject of city driving in 3rd gear conclude that, in a car that will do 120 plus in 3rd gear (A4, remember) with a stock engine and tranny cooler, driving in the city at 50 or 60 in 3rd gear really isn't a problem. Makes sense, right?

No flame, but is doesn't make sense to me at all. FWIW, an A4 with a 3.15 gear (mine) will easily exceed 140+ at WOT in 3rd., A 2.73 will top 150. Engine life depends on total number of engine revs. Running in 3rd vs. 4th for cruise increased revs by about 42%. To me that many more revs wears the engine out faster. Maybe yours is special. I just ordered mine from my dealer the day they were released.

Just my thoughts.

Oh, BTW, this thread is about A4 shift points. (Yeah, I forgot too. :lol: :lol: )

I could swear you were asking about part throttle shifting.

I've noticed if I get on the gas lightly the car shifts around 2000 rpm, if I get on it a little more it shifts around 3500 rpm.". No C5 A4 full throttle upshifts at 3500 unless someone has boogered it up. My comments were specifically to your question. FWIW, there is a chance that some aftermarket shift programs which increase firmness of shift and can change WOT shift points also change part-throttle shifting; they may part-throttle upshift EARLIER and WOT upshift LATER. Curious.

Enjoy your car. Drive it in any gear you wish, and keep that tank full of premium. The oil-producing middle eastern guys need your green money. :)

[Modified by OldSStroker, 11:16 PM 5/25/2004]
Old 05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

Default Re: A4 Shift Points (bgood)

I would personally leave the line pressure alone on a stock tranny, but that's just my opinion. I ran my old tranny with increased line pressure also but over time I've decided against it. I can send you my shift tables if you want to see them. I assume you have LS1 Edit?
Yes, I have LS1 Edit. BTW, the 2800 TC makes the tranny no longer "stock."

Quick Reply: A4 Shift Points