C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 11:03 AM
DUCMAN
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it?

Previsouly, my car was running pretty rich. Two days ago I installed a set of PRT's and now the car is very rich. It has the nasty popping sound. I don't mind the sound, but mine pops even at idle while sitting at stop lights-needless to say, I have scared a couple of people :lol: It also pops when I press in the clutch to switch gears and when coming to a stop. Mond you, these are not low level, these things are loud and sound like a pistol going off.

The car was previously tuned by Ed Wright. The car was set up for a 150 shot of NOS, but that is no longer being ran. I currently have a mild H/C set up with headers as well.

Iss there anything I can do myself to lean it out? I am leaving for Afghanistan unexpectedly within the next couple of weeks, so I do not have time to send the computer back to Ed in Oklahoma or time to buy edit or any other tune software.

Also posting this in the tune section.

Rodrigo
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 AM
HITMAN99
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it? (DUCMAN)

You can use a MAF Translator to lean it out at WOT, works pretty well. The base A/F settings are not as easy --- takes a bit of experimentation, and helps to have ATAP.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Jack Behrle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it? (DUCMAN)

Before spending dime one, I would have your car autotapped. IN 20 minutes you will know just how rich (or lean) you are. I don't think you can diagnose anything without data.
If in fact you are rich (or lean), an MAF Translator will cure it quickly, easily and inexpensively. I just would not go buy one without knowing what the problem is first.
PS..I practice what I preach. I run both ATap and use the MAFT .My Ltrims are -.87 and WOT 02's are where they should be.
Hope this helps!
Jack
Old 05-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Re: Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it? (HITMAN99)

You can use a MAF Translator to lean it out at WOT, works pretty well. The base A/F settings are not as easy --- takes a bit of experimentation, and helps to have ATAP.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=817925
This was in the "For Sale Section" Halltech's version of a MAFT. + or - 10% adjustment range, in 2% increments. Most MAFT's are + or - 15% in 5% increments.

[Modified by Greg_E, 9:59 PM 5/13/2004]

[Modified by Greg_E, 10:02 PM 5/13/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it?

Quick Reply: Car running VERY rich...how can I fix it?