C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble with charging system fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 08:02 PM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Having trouble with charging system fault

Heres the story driving along one day and my car drops to like 7 amps then like 1/4 mile down the road it goes back up and didnt happen for awhile. Then it happened again like 2 days later and did it quite a few times that day. So thru common sence I had a friend reccommend me to get the alternator rebiult I did such and the car was fine for like 2 weeks so i figured awsome. Well then today it happened like 7 times on the way to work ( i work less than 1.5 miles from my house ) it will drop to the 7-8.5 amp region and immediately pick its self back up and it has been doing it everytime ive taken the car out since....
What could it be really starting to get mad. :mad
If you guys could help it would be much appreciated.
what could it be but keep in mind its intermitine ( i cant spell it doesnt do it all the time like tomorrow it could be fine soo. )
Old 04-15-2004, 09:43 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (EnVmYc5)

I hope you mean volts and not amps.

Couple things to try.
1.) While the car is idling, unplug the three wire connector going to the alternator. You should see a charge system fault display on your DIC. If so replug connector and go on, system is working as should so far.
2.) inspect the three wire connector for cracked/frayed wires, or bent loose pins.
3.) crawl under the car or geta good light and look at the wires going to the large stud on the starter, if there is any corrosion, clean the wires and the terminal.
4.) Find a local parts store and have them check the alt if all else is good.

Good luck :thumbs:

[Modified by JoeyG, 8:44 PM 4/15/2004]
Old 04-15-2004, 09:45 PM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (JoeyG)

Sorry im an idiot yes I do mean Volts. Ill try it and see what happens...
Nick
Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 PM
EnVmYc5
Racer

OK i did what you said I unplugged the three prong connector that plugs into the alternator and nothing happened and nothing came up charging system fault so what does that mean.
Nick :banghead:
Old 04-15-2004, 10:54 PM
JoeyG
Safety Car

Received 84 Likes on 76 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

You may want to look at the pcm connectors. Remove the front passenger wheel. Remove the wheel liner and then you'll see the pcm with 2 8" long wired connectors. Look over the wires and connectors for any corrosion or damage. Good luck and take your time.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:06 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (JoeyG)

Check the tightness of the bolt on the starter where the + battery cable is connected. They are often loose. Also check all the other bolted connections, at the alternator, the - battery ground cable, and the engine to frame ground wire (2 I think, underneath)
Old 04-16-2004, 01:14 PM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same thing basically and found that I didn't replace the original battery in time and it had leaked letting the acid run inside the plastic down the cable going to the altenator and had to replace it, also found the same thing going to the starter and not only the cable was eaten up so was the starter stud and the starter had to be replaced, also the cable going through the firewall into the fuse box under the passenger feet--there was some sign that it tried for the PCM but was able to clean it up--so the old battery can do a lot of damage that is not obvious until its had time to eat away at stuff--I have an extra altenator now that was quite expensive and my extended warranty covered the expensive starter and labor etc.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:24 PM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (NEPTUNEBILL)

My battery went bad with only 15,000 miles on my 02. Started out like yours until one day no power at all and it took the alternater with it. Get a load check done on the Batt.
:)
Old 04-17-2004, 03:35 AM
George8211
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (TXSTICK)

Always disconnect you battery before unbolting any wires :yesnod:

I have simular problem, every once in a while I get a Charge System Fault message on my DIC. I reset my DIC, and the Charge System Fault message comes back several days latter.... :confused:
Old 04-17-2004, 05:20 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (George8211)

Most likely it's the battery, remove it from the car and take it to Auto Zone and have them perform a free "load test" to see if the battery is serviceable.

Kevin
Old 04-18-2004, 01:40 AM
EnVmYc5
Racer

Default Re: Having trouble with charging system fault (69)

Finally got my car on a lift on a good day when it was actin up alot. And come to find out i got about 3 full turns on the positive battery cable that runs from the battery to the starter. Havent had the problem since so they might have fixed it...
Nick

Get notified of new replies

To Having trouble with charging system fault

Quick Reply: Having trouble with charging system fault