C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve?

I was talking to a "C5 guy" the other night and I told him that I was changing my oil today. (Just finished)
He told me to make sure I get a filter with a good Anti Drain back Valve.
I said Okay and went home. I didn't think about it, again, until I grabbed a new K&N filter. As I installed it in it's vertical postion I started wondering why an Anti Drain back Valve would make any difference on a C5. I thought the purpose was to keep the oil from draining from the filter so the next time you started the car there was oil, quickly, available. I don't understand how that makes a difference on a C5. The filter is at the lowest point. Where is it going to drain to? :confused: :confused:
Old 04-02-2004, 01:32 PM
formul89
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve? (Richin Chicago)

Prevents dry starts. The valve keeps oil where it can reach the cylinders fast to prevent them from starting dry. The most wear to the motor is done while cranking.
Old 04-02-2004, 01:42 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve? (formul89)

Prevents dry starts. The valve keeps oil where it can reach the cylinders fast to prevent them from starting dry. The most wear to the motor is done while cranking.
In a filter that is on the lowest part of the car? How is the oil going to drain out in the first place? It can't go uphill?
Maybe I don't understand the mechanics of what is going on after shut down and then start up.

Old 04-02-2004, 02:36 PM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve? (Richin Chicago)

I saw that anti drain back filter on the store shelf for the first time 2 weeks ago when I bought the regular version. Does the GM filter have that feature? I've never seen this discussed until now. Most importantly, is it needed?
:confused:
Old 04-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Mark VerMurlen
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While the oil filter is low relative to the engine, it may still be possible that an anti-drainback valve could prevent the oil gallies within the block from draining back through the oil filter. I suppose it could also be possible that there could be a siphon effect back into the pan. Those are the only reasons that I can think of for needing an anti-drainback valve.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone talk about it, so maybe some more knowlegable folks will give their opinions.

- Mark
Old 04-02-2004, 04:31 PM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

:lurk:
Old 04-02-2004, 09:09 PM
vettman10
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve? (SideStep)

I don't know of a filter manufacturer that produces a filter for the C5 with a anti-drainback valve. I've bought Fram, Bosch, Puralotor, Wix, and Delco, and none of them have one. Thats because its NOT NEEDED. The engines that need it are those where the filter is NOT mounted vertical. This C5 guy may be confusing the bypass valve that is located in the base of the filter. The anti-drain back valve, if present for duty, would be the mouth of the filter in plain sight.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Default Re: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve? (vettman10)

I don't know of a filter manufacturer that produces a filter for the C5 with a anti-drainback valve. I've bought Fram, Bosch, Puralotor, Wix, and Delco, and none of them have one. Thats because its NOT NEEDED. The engines that need it are those where the filter is NOT mounted vertical. This C5 guy may be confusing the bypass valve that is located in the base of the filter. The anti-drain back valve, if present for duty, would be the mouth of the filter in plain sight.
Thanks! That makes sense.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:44 PM
birch64
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fram makes a oil filter for the corvette that has a antidrain back valve. its the tough guard: tg3506 with a built in screen to trap dirt,they say it traps 99%....

[Modified by birch64, 3:45 AM 4/3/2004]
Old 04-03-2004, 06:12 AM
lar66BB
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't need it, just buy a good filter, not one of the cheapies.
expamle, k&n, mobil one, napa gold :cheers:
Old 04-03-2004, 02:30 PM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

most of the filter manufactures are cutting down on the number of filters and it is cheaper to put a anti drain back valve in a filter and eliminate the same filter without the valve. the GM PF 51 and PF 52 were the same filter,thread size and outside diameter but to save making 2 different filters they just make the PF 52 which has the anti drain back valve in it. :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve?

Quick Reply: Why does the C5 need an oil filter with an Anti Drain back Valve?