C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats up with LG header problems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 11:06 AM
FRC sexi blk
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats up with LG header problems??

Installed some LG headers on a friend’s mallet c5 last weekend. For the most past the headers fit well, but there were a bunch of stupid butt problems that we ran into.

1- the air system pipe is not able to connect to the factory airline. What is up with that LG? Can’t you guys move the welded air connector over a few inches!

2- no gaskets for the cat back were included.

3-no new header bolts! Common you pay $1,500 and can't include $20 of bolts.

4-the clamps they use suck. We had to buy U clamps so the cats to muffler pips wouldn't slip.

5-terrible instructions from LG. The step by step with picture instructions posted by forum members were so much more helpful.

6-They did not include 02 sims. (I don't know if that was an option, but there were not in the package)

7-they cost $1500. As far as I see it, LG is making $$$ on us from some welded metal that all other car models get for half of that price.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:47 AM
arkansascorvette
Instructor

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (cute301guy)

O2 simms are extra cost items. Most of us have used the stock factory bolts. Can't comment on the after cat system as mine were borla stingers and they came with gaskets although I used the stock gaskets as they were better made. But the headers are worth the effort! :hurray:
Old 03-22-2004, 11:50 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (arkansascorvette)

my LG system came with 02 sensors no cost....and the air pipe was included to make the switch,, you should be able to cut and splice the two with some hight temp hose to keep from removing the intake...??stock bolts are fine, and I got new oem gaskets cause I dont like header (non-metal) gaskets

[Modified by wrustywrench, 4:52 PM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 12:10 PM
Mean Green
Team Owner

CI III & IV Vote Ho
CI II, III, IV & V Vet
CI IV Bracket Champ
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

7-they cost $1500. As far as I see it, LG is making $$$ on us from some welded metal that all other car models get for half of that price.
You're WAY off base here...
Old 03-22-2004, 12:17 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (Mean Green)

Cost is usually a factor of several things. First, and obvious, production costs. Second, and often forgotten, are the re-coup of investment costs. This could include a lot of dyno tuning and design work that went into the final production item. I agree that it would be nice to have an all inclusive package, but the price might scare folks away as well seeing that there are now lower cost alternatives. While the LG's have proven to be a very effective header from a performance standpoint, the other systems have not fully proven themselves although the Kooks appear to have some good numbers. In the end, it will be a trade-off for those buying (myself included) for performance, ease of installation, post-installation issues, maintaining OBD II compliance, etc.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:31 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (wrustywrench)

Here is a link to an install that was done by another Corvette owner on another forum. I am not sure why you had problems, but I would welcome a phone call from you.

Some cars have 02 sensors that will not react quick enough for many reasons. Every brand header has had a few that set codes. The fix is not complicated on pre 04 cars, but on 04 cars, we are having a new adapter and are getting the new 04 simulators from Casper electronics. the connectors were changed on the 04 cars and caught us by surprise.

On 2000 and earlier cars, we need to know the year of the car so we can send you the extra AIR tube for the passenger side for a trouble free installation.

In addition on the new set up, you will now get the included "Off Road" pipes so you can switch from Cats to off road at will.

We include Gaskets but we recommend that you use a stock LS1 gasket for the best and longest seal.

Give me a call and I will try to help with any issues that you have.

Thanks and see the post below.

Lou Gigliotti LGM
--------
link:http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55871

and the post below:
-----------
Yesterday, 03:58 PM #1
Backlash
Z06 Authority

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I would like to thank everyone who has posted on installing LG headers and in particular – FRC Tom, Turbineman, WayneE, Rpallas and TeddyZ06.

The headers arrived last Tuesday and I just had up pack them. Now this is my idea of decorating a room!

On Friday night I read all of the related posts on installing these babies and on Saturday at 9:00 AM a friend and I started the install using jack stands. By 11:00 AM the old exhaust system was off the car and the headers were on. These were the easiest headers he or I have installed in years. The build quality is amazing and they fit like a glove. The only issue encountered was one of the bell housing bolts did not line up, so we decided to leave it out for now and check back in a week or two after heat cycling it some.

Here is the driver side:

Here is the passenger side:

We then spent the next 2 hours putting on the rest of the pipes, routing and connecting the O2 sensors and sims and general wrap up. All and all it was cake.

Here is a picture of the inside of a Random Technologies Metal Matrix Cat:

And here is a picture of the spacer we built to avoid cutting the oil dipstick bolt:

And lastly a picture of the Koolsox’s, which after putting in the new plugs, NGK3951’s, (some of the stock plugs had lost their pucks – 10K on the car), it was clear this was a wise investment due to how close a couple of the header tubes come to the plugs.
[img]http://www.z06vette.com/gallery/data/500/0koolsox.jpg[/img

The car with the Stingers, it is not too loud (at least to me). The exhaust is louder under acceleration, but actually has less resonance around 3K. At idle, it is just a tad louder; just enough to known that there is something different is going on here. The car now has a fuller deeper growl and the power comes on much faster and smoother. 3rd gear has a completely different power curve now and pulls like no tomorrow.

Next on the list, getting those '04 shocks installed and getting the car tuned. Just about ready for the driving season now.

Backlash

Yesterday, 04:25 PM #2
camshaft
Z06 Pilot

Awesome. I wish I had those headers. Well, I should probably be more concerned about getting the car first.

Austin

Yesterday, 04:39 PM #3
aldrichc5
Z06 Authority

Sounds like the install went very good. Great pix.

Don Benson
Z06 Pilot

Tom,

Congrats on installing a set of the "world's most powerful headers." At least someone knew how to use a digital camera during their install. Those are a work of art, and based on your description you didn't even scrape a knuckle.

Now the fun part. With a tune and some dyno time (and of course the shocks) you'll be good to go to put some laps down at Pocono.

Don

Don Benson

jub jub
Z06 Senior Member

Great pics Tom and thanks for the update. I'll be putting on some headers soon but first I have to find a miss in the engine.

jub jub

Yesterday, 04:57 PM #6
Backlash
Z06 Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Benson
Now the fun part. With a tune and some dyno time (and of course the shocks) you'll be good to go to put some laps down at Pocono.

That's the plan, as long as there is no more snow I should be on track for the end of April at Pocono

Backlash

Yesterday, 05:09 PM #7
Brandon619
Z06 Addict

Congrads Backlash,I installed my L.G. longtubes about a month ago.I've been lovin them eversense.

Brandon619

Yesterday, 05:28 PM #8
EFI-1
Z06 Pilot

Nice install and great pics.

EFI-1

Yesterday, 05:44 PM #9
Kens06
Z06 Pilot

Nice pics,
One heck of a weekend project!!
Why no pics of your bloodied hands??
Headers are great the sound is even better!!

Ken

Blackwing, TPIS LT, Random cats, PRT's- 360 rwhp 357 rwtq
LG G5X-2 cam only 403rwhp 384 rwtq

Yesterday, 06:52 PM #10
L G Motorsports
Z06 Addict

That is the first photo that shows the "Off road pipes" that can be switched with the cats.

Glad it went well.

Thanks for the business

Lou Gigliotti LGM

PS,
We have been sticking to our lowered pricing of $1495 for the off road version and $1895 for the full cat system that was in the photo.

We just put these headers on the front row of the Sebring World Challenge race this past weekend.

LG

Home of the LG stainless Long Tube headers.
"The most powerful Corvette headers on the planet".

brian ns
Z06 Addict

Posts: 138 Nice job Tom, thanks for the pics as well. Like to hear what it sounds like. Brian

Yesterday, 07:07 PM #12
case2307
Z06 Master

Glad the headers went in without a hitch. Thanks for the pics of the install.

Yesterday, 07:39 PM #13
Atl.Vette
Z06 Member

Congrats on the LG's. Mine sound great with the GHL Bullets.

Yesterday, 09:00 PM #14
eviLS6

Z06 Addict

Posts: 253 Oh man I really want those headers. To bad Im uncertain of as to how things are going to be in California with the smog police. Ive tried in vain to paint a clear picture of the situation but Im still hesitant. Thanks for taking the time to document the install with the pictures, if I do get em Im confident the install will go smooth now.

Are you gonna dyno tune or just run em as is? Let us know the baseline results with the LG's installed untuned and after tuning if you do.

END:

[Modified by LG Motorsports, 11:44 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 12:31 PM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1- the air system pipe is not able to connect to the factory airline. What is up with that LG? CanÂ’t you guys move the welded air connector over a few inches!

2- no gaskets for the cat back were included.

3-no new header bolts! Common you pay $1,500 and can't include $20 of bolts.

4-the clamps they use suck. We had to buy U clamps so the cats to muffler pips wouldn't slip.

5-terrible instructions from LG. The step by step with picture instructions posted by forum members were so much more helpful.

6-They did not include 02 sims. (I don't know if that was an option, but there were not in the package)

1) different year cars have different placements for the AIR flanges. The kit should have come with a new AIR pipe if the customers car was of an earlier year (pre 2001 I beleive)

2) <shrug> When you buy $2500 heads they dont come with gaskets either

3) Stock bolts are fine. I've used mine 4-5 times now.

4) Apparently you need to cut grooves in the back of the cats so when you apply the clamps, the grooves allow for the metal to compress and clamp the pipe. Why this wasnt done at LG, I have no idea.

5) Better instructions are coming soon. This problem is already being addressed.

6) Nobody includes o2 simms.

7) The collectors alone cost an arm and a leg, and stainless steel metal isnt the cheapest material to work with. Back when these headers were $2500, THAT was rediculous, but at $1500 complete with xpipe I think we can all cope.

Jon
http://www.ls1howto.com
Old 03-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Mirek
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (jmX)

They are beautiful headers. I also have an 00 and you have to remove the intake to attach the new 01+ AIR piping (so I am told)
....Lou did send this new pipe to me for free.
Or you can just rip it out and run block offs. I had to remove the starter on pass side & oil filter and steering linkage on the other (which was no big deal) and they went in OK. None of my wires (plug, sensor, starter) are touching...be careful of those near the starter if you have not installed these yet.

And GOOD LUCK with your bank one sensor 1 & bank 2 sensor 2 o2 codes.
The o2 adapters (allowing the rears up front) are like $40 and if LGM should supply anything (and I am not saying they should) they should supply that adapter as it is required for those of us with the off-road x-pipes. But it looks as though new (rear) sensors are required anyway given the amount of codes this new sensor position yeilds with the old sensor.

Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 PM
mach1
Cruising

Mean Green,

Can you say why he is way off base. I can upgrade my Mach1 with H/C, Exhaust ect.. for half the cost that you vette owners have to pay. :D

Old 03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (mach1)

Mean Green,

Can you say why he is way off base. I can upgrade my Mach1 with H/C, Exhaust ect.. for half the cost that you vette owners have to pay. :D
Without speaking for Mean Green..... My thoughts are this:

LGM is a sponsor here, and the rules of the forum are clear that if you don't like a price of a Sponsor, or an individual selling something in the classified, Move along. Don't bash their prices, don't tell them they're crazy. Just stop before you reply, then move on.

My thoughts on the Mach1 upgrade prices: Ford has Ponys, GM has Horses. :)

BTW, I'm no Ford hater.. I was a Huge 5.0 fan when they were new, had a 1988 GT brand new when I was 17. :cheers:

[Modified by Tony_C5_04, 10:23 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 01:18 PM
jmX
Drifting

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (mach1)

Mean Green,

Does your mach 1 setup come with the nice merge collectors? Open up your summit or jegs catalog and turn to the page with the $350 pair of collectors....ones like those are on the LG system. A $700 mach 1 exhaust setup isnt gonna have those, nor will any $700 complete header/xpipe setup, period.
Old 03-22-2004, 01:30 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

:iagree:

what car are you going to find a complete headers system including hi flow cats for $799 :rolleyes: maybe a honda :rofl: :rofl:
Old 03-22-2004, 01:52 PM
FRC sexi blk
Racer

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (Tony_C5_04)

LGM is a sponsor here, and the rules of the forum are clear that if you don't like a price of a Sponsor, or an individual selling something in the classified, Move along. Don't bash their prices, don't tell them they're crazy. Just stop before you reply, then move on.

its reasons like this that people run into poopiety products. I can say what I want when ever I want. NO body tells me to move along. I have the full right to share my oppinon on a product that I buy. I don't give a crap if a vendor sponsers this site. I don't like the price of the LG's, and I think they are a rip off. THat's just what I think. Doesn't mean you have to agree.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

its reasons like this that people run into poopiety products. I can say what I want when ever I want. NO body tells me to move along. I have the full right to share my oppinon on a product that I buy. I don't give a crap if a vendor sponsers this site. I don't like the price of the LG's, and I think they are a rip off. THat's just what I think. Doesn't mean you have to agree.
Well, That's your opinion, but since many other people have the product with no issues or problems, maybe it's not everyone else that has the problem??

The LG Headers can't be that "poopiety" if they are the ones that everyone else wants to immitate and copy. Would all those guys in the SCCA WC cars be running them if they were really that bad?

Good Mods that make power are rarely a 100% bolt up fit with no issues. In order to improve, things change. I think that people that aren't expecting some kind of issues when doing an install like that need to either pay to have it done, or don't do it.

Without Sponsors this site wouldn't exist. Have you seen what bandwidth costs, and how much this site uses?

Have a nice day, Cutie.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (LG Motorsports)

Here is a link to an install that was done by another Corvette owner on another forum. I am not sure why you had problems, but I would welcome a phone call from you.
Some cars have 02 sensors that will not react quick enough for many reasons. Every brand header has had a few that set codes. The fix is not complicated on pre 04 cars, but on 04 cars, we are having a new adapter and are getting the new 04 simulators from Casper electronics. the connectors were changed on the 04 cars and caught us by surprise.

On 2000 and earlier cars, we need to know the year of the car so we can send you the extra AIR tube for the passenger side for a trouble free installation.

We include Gaskets but we recommend that you use a stock LS1 gasket for the best and longest seal.

Give me a call and I will try to help with any issues that you have.

Thanks and see the post below.

Lou Gigliotti LGM

In addition on the new set up, you will now get the included "Off Road" pipes so you can switch from Cats to off road at will.

Lou, How do I upgrade my system to the cat version?

I bought the "Off Road" system a couple of months ago and I want to upgrade to the cat system.

Personally, I think the system is great. Sure it's a bit expensive but, they did the R&D on these and have to recoup some of these costs. What aftermarket parts for a corvette aren't expensive?
I tend to agree on the gaskets not being included. That really would be nice so it would be a true bolt-on system and not need numerous trips to the local dealership to order gaskets that aren't kept in stock. I would pay the extra $20 up front if it saved me a trip to the dealer to order and pick up gaskets.

Now if I could just get the decibels down on my exhaust system; maybe the police would quit following me around town. :cheers:
Old 03-22-2004, 08:35 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (Z06ufgrad2002)

We are working with Borla to put together a package that will allow any of the early off road systems to update and run the cats. I will work with them to get the best pricing for the pipes that are necessary, and with Random to supply the full 3" cats to make your off road systems into the removable Cat/off road system for your special events.

Thanks,

I will keep you posted.

as for the gaskets, Borla supplies a composite gasket, but we prefer the metal GM gaskets. Most would not want to pay the extra price for the metal gaskets, but I will check with Borla to see if we can get a GM deal to get a good price on the steel gaskets from them in quantity.

thanks again

Lou Gigliotti LGM
Old 03-22-2004, 09:38 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (FRC sexi blk)

I can say what I want when ever I want. NO body tells me to move along. I have the full right to share my oppinon on a product that I buy. I don't give a crap if a vendor sponsers this site. I don't like the price of the LG's, and I think they are a rip off. THat's just what I think. Doesn't mean you have to agree.
Well, it's been nice knowing you... NOT. You agreed to the terms when you signed up, so bye-bye. :troll

Get notified of new replies

To whats up with LG header problems??

Old 03-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Default Re: whats up with LG header problems?? (Tony_C5_04)

Well, That's your opinion, but since many other people have the product with no issues or problems, maybe it's not everyone else that has the problem??

The LG Headers can't be that "poopiety" if they are the ones that everyone else wants to immitate and copy. Would all those guys in the SCCA WC cars be running them if they were really that bad?

Good Mods that make power are rarely a 100% bolt up fit with no issues. In order to improve, things change. I think that people that aren't expecting some kind of issues when doing an install like that need to either pay to have it done, or don't do it.

Without Sponsors this site wouldn't exist. Have you seen what bandwidth costs, and how much this site uses?

Have a nice day, Cutie.
I really admire those that are able to do there own mods, however I don't have the proper knowledge or equipment to do my own mods. However, I feel very fortunate to live within a 3.5 hour drive from the LGMotorsports shop. I have had some extensive, at least in my book, work done at LGM twice on my C5. Both visits were very successful. I will be leaving my C5 at LGM on April 14th & picking my C5 up that Saturday, the 17th. The G5X-3 Cam Pkg. w/Comp 921 Dual Springs, Vigilante 2800 TConverter, B&M Trans Cooler, and Jeremy's tuning will all be done on my C5. I can hardly wait. :D
Old 03-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Hey JohnnyA.,

Curious, did you ever call Lou G. to discuss any of the issues you listed in your post? Lou is great to work with on the phone & in person & I can say this by personal experience. Yes, you must have gotten frustrated with those issues you mentioned but IMHO, the best way to handle a problem is discuss them at the source. In otherwords, simply calling Lou (toll free# 1-877-LGMotor) to discuss with him some problems you were having, in a business like manner, with his product.

Just my .02 :)
Old 03-22-2004, 11:56 PM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

wow nice thread....NOT

Quick Reply: whats up with LG header problems??