C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 04:55 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system?

I was driving today and all of a sudden I got the 2 chimes and a message that said : "service ABS" and then 2 chimes and the message "service traction control system." This message I could not clear. Good thing I was near my driveway.. when I parked I shut the car off, waited a minute, and turned her back on and everything was cleared and back to normal, I think. ( I'll know when i drive it again) Has this happened to anyone? Do I need to replace any sensors? I don't want to drive this car without the traction control system engaged because it is too cold out still and there is not enough traction as there is. :rolleyes:
Old 03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Re: All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system? (mark b)

Do you have a '97?

-J
Old 03-20-2004, 05:22 PM
kirbyloid
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system? (mark b)

Not unusual I will email you trouble shooting guide from Service manual. I got lucky unplugged my sensors blew them out replugged and have not had another problem.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:32 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I was driving today and all of a sudden I got the 2 chimes and a message that said : "service ABS" and then 2 chimes and the message "service traction control system." This message I could not clear. Good thing I was near my driveway.. when I parked I shut the car off, waited a minute, and turned her back on and everything was cleared and back to normal, I think. ( I'll know when i drive it again) Has this happened to anyone? Do I need to replace any sensors? I don't want to drive this car without the traction control system engaged because it is too cold out still and there is not enough traction as there is. :rolleyes:
It may very well have been due to conditions you were driving in. Although you did not state so in your post, I surmise you were driving in either snow/ice/rain conditions since your sig says NY. Correct? Cold temperatures in and of themselves will not cause the Traction Control System to activate. Same applies to ABS. If so, I wouldn't worry in the least. The ABS system and Traction Control system is sensitive to wheel slippage and/or wheel spin, even if you yourself were not. Were you braking at the time or were you accelerating? That has an effect on whether either system activates. If the warnings are of a repetitive nature, then you might want to get things checked out.
I have, on rare occasions, experienced this too. When I cleared my codes they did not reset. HTH
Robert
Old 03-20-2004, 06:19 PM
MacC5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the exact same thing happen about 2 weeks ago. "Service ABS" & "Traction Control Disabled". Since my car is a 99 Coupe, it has a few miles on it. Took it to a Corvette shop here in Long Island and put it in the air. Started looking at the sensor wires in the rear and they looked ok. One of the guys standing around looking at us trying to figure it out suggested we give the bearings a check. So we shook the rear wheels and they were very loose. The bearing hubs (bearings) were bad, and since the sensors are planted into the hubs, somehow the sensors went out (rubbing most likely). I replaced the hubs and everything is great now. This could be one possible reason...

[Modified by MacC5, 5:38 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 07:33 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for your info and fast responses :seeya :thumbs: It probably is nothing, but it never happened to me before and I just want to play it safe. If it still comes on ( I'm not driving it untill tommorow) I will have Vette Doctors take a look. It could very well be the driving conditions because I noticed it happened when I had to slow down and brake because a car in front of me was driving too slow (old lady). Also, an hour earlier I came across a salt spreader truck that was leaking(causing a trail everywhere he went) dry salt on the roads. I tried to avoid but couldnt before I was able to pass him....do you think that that could damage the sensors?
Old 03-20-2004, 08:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system? (MacC5)

I have a 98 and have had significant electrical problems!! I strongly recommend checking the following before you spend TONS of wasted money!

1. Check the passengers foot well. Remove the cover for the fuse panel and see if you see any moisture in that area or if the jute padding under the carpet is wet. If it is wet or damp post and I will let you know what to do next.

2. Check the DIC for ANY storred codes and write them down. After you write them down, clear them and take it for a ride. See if you get the same symptoms. Pull up the codes again and write them down!

After you get the codes written down post them so we can figure out what to look at next!

R/ BC

[Modified by Bill Curlee, 7:24 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-21-2004, 06:51 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Default Re: All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system? (Bill Curlee)

I took her out today and the messages came on again...I continued to my destination, parked and when I hit my keyfob it didn't work! I said **** it, came back 20 minutes later, drove away and the messages haven't come on through my whole ride home. And my alarm/keyfob works now. I'm hoping that maybe the sensor was wet or dirty and it fixed itself. I'll see tomorrow what happens. These sensors are so sensitive, I remember when it was in the teens and I got the low oil level message because the sensor froze... as soon as I drove it to Florida that week the sensor went back to normal and showed me my oil temps like it did'nt even happen...I'm hoping that this is the case! :yesnod:
Old 03-22-2004, 02:56 AM
mrw173
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

I had the same thing happen to my 97 last fall. I was driving VERY aggressivley (out in the middle of nowhere) hit a bump with the peddal on the floor and on came the lights. Shut it off for a few minutes started back up and hasen't happened since. God that was fun though, Mike
Old 03-22-2004, 06:20 AM
Merlin02
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same thing happen on my '02 when it was only a week old. Took it back to the dealer and they said that they contacted the factory tech support people for a fix. The factory tech said to jack up the front end and turn the steering wheel lock to lock 50 times each direction to "wear in the front sensor". This made no sense to me at all. This only it fixed the problem for a short time. The fix only lasted about three days and it happen again. I took it back, again and this time they replaced the sensor. No problems since then.

Get notified of new replies

To All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system?

Quick Reply: All of a sudden these words came on :Service ABS? Service traction control system?