C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPD New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 03:12 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06
Default LAPD New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???

Dear Corvetteforum.com Members,

This GP is a GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$299.95 SHIPPED is the GP PRICE!

THESE PLATES ARE BACK IN STOCK AND SHIPPING OUT THE SAME DAY/NEXT DAY YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER DEPENDING ON WHAT TIME YOU PLACE YOUR ORDER.

For those of you that want in, get your order in! This GP price is good until August 16, 2004 and the price goes up after that.

Please click here to order straight off of our website: http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/mer...e_Code=thelapd

These plates are in stock and will ship out promptly upon receipt of your order.

Thanks!

Shawn

Here is some info for you:

The C5 is an amazing accomplishment and with this generation came a process of bending and shaping steel by using water pressure. This process known as hydro forming made the C5 frame the strongest and most flex free Corvette ever to date. There is one area however that was in need of improvement to further stiffen the frame and to decrease the amount of torsional flex that was present. In the process of designing this product, we were also able to combat the other problem, heat!!

The CFS-01C is fully computer designed and CNC machined to our exact specifications. The panel consists of aircraft grade 6061- T6 aluminum @ 1/4" thick. With this material, we have achieved an increase in torsional rigidity of over 1,600 percent compared to the stock panel yet weighs just 3 lbs more!! To address the issue of heat, we applied a high temperature ceramic coating on BOTH sides of the panel to help resist heat and to keep the interior of the vehicle cooler. We have measured a decrease in the interior temperature on the center tunnel of over 40 degrees Fahrenheit compared to the stock panel.

Installation is easy and thanks to the precision of this part, bolts right into place perfectly without any modifications necessary. This part truly is a plug and play piece that offers the C5 increased stiffness and drastically reduces the heat problem once and for all.

[Modified by L.A.P.D., 2:07 PM 7/7/2004]
Old 03-19-2004, 03:48 PM
BlackSun!
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???

Depends on the price...

Thanks for the BeCool!!!!
Old 03-19-2004, 04:13 PM
EFI-1
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: LAPD Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (L.A.P.D.)

Interesting piece. Looks great.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:31 PM
chimneyguy
Instructor

Default Re: LAPD Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (EFI-1)

whats the price?
Old 03-19-2004, 06:03 PM
GaryZ06
Safety Car

Now that is one great looking piece....and nice idea....should sell real well.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (BlackSun!)

Depends on the price...
ad says around $380 shipped.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: LAPD Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (chimneyguy)

whats the price?
ad states around $380 shipped.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:16 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Default LAPD New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???

Dear Corvetteforum.com Members,

Pricing depends on how many orders we can get, but it will be around: $380.00 shipped which is worth it as it is a dual functioning cover which will prevent heat and chassis flex.

Okay. Lets start a list of who's in, and see if we can get some kind of IPO GP going on!

I'll say I'm in if we can get some people in and a price break (Since I have to pay tax and all.... )
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
L.A.P.D.
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06

GREAT IDEA!

Post on this thread and let us know who is in and I will see what the final pricing will be.

Thanks!

Shawn
Old 03-19-2004, 08:46 PM
CAPN17
Safety Car

Default Re: LAPD New Product Release...

It will depend on the GP price, but it looks interesting.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good, I'd do it for ~100 or so.

If the 380 number is for real, count me out, that's insane.

Dope
Old 03-19-2004, 10:24 PM
mnotx
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: (Dope)

I am interested, but would like to see the final price.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:47 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: (Dope)

I'd say that it looks like an awesome piece that is actually functional.

I currently see a plain old tunnel insulator for almost the same price.
http://www.thelapd.com/Merchant2/mer...e_Code=thelapd

People spend $1000's just putting carbon fiber covers on their engine parts..

I'd rather have the solid billet piece any day!
Old 03-20-2004, 12:22 AM
SPEED DOG
Racer

Default Re: LAPD New Product Release

I'm in, depending on price. My car's actually off road, pipes out, while LG does some major upgrades. If this comes together quickly I'd be in an ideal position to buy and install.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:34 AM
jmX
Drifting

Default Re: LAPD New Product Release (SPEED DOG)

So the piece is 1600% more rigid, but the real question is, does it keep the car from flexing more in practice? For instance, my coupe roof squeeks probably 50-100 times a week....is this item you are selling really going to do anything to quiet it down? I wanna hear some results before dropping $400 for a sheet of metal.

The heat has never been an issue IMO...havent noticed it once.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Re: LAPD New Product Release (jmX)

If this takes off, you should consider a non-coated version for people who dont care about the heat aspect. Also what about the bolts? Since the plate is significantly thicker, are longer bolts included?
Old 03-20-2004, 01:02 AM
Brian@KelleyPerf
Pro

Default Re: LAPD New Product Release (jmX)

I can talk from personal experience with this part. The company that manufacturers this piece is local and we were given a prototype piece to test. First off, this panel is extremely well made and looks very precision in both quality of construction and in fit and finish. I am told it is all CNC machined and cut which explains the precision.

I actually bolted this part to my personal 99 hardtop and here were my results. Before I used this part, I would notice slight flexing in the chassis, especially when going up a steep incline at an angle. You could actually hear the creeks as the chassis flexed. There was one incline in particular that I used as a test as I could repeat it over and over again. After I installed this panel, I went over the same incline and there was NO Noise at all!! Any flex that was present in the chassis before was not felt or heard anymore while going over this incline.

The panel I received had the ceramic coating on it and I did notice a a much cooler center console than with the stock piece. I did not measure the actual temp difference but it was definately noticable.

Installation was as simple as removing the stock piece and mounting this part to replace it. The bolt holes lined up perfectly and I was able to re-use the stock bolts. The instructions that came with the panel indidicated to torque to 12 ftlbs but I just torqued them until a bit past snug..

Hope this helps...

So the piece is 1600% more rigid, but the real question is, does it keep the car from flexing more in practice? For instance, my coupe roof squeeks probably 50-100 times a week....is this item you are selling really going to do anything to quiet it down? I wanna hear some results before dropping $400 for a sheet of metal.

The heat has never been an issue IMO...havent noticed it once.

[Modified by Brian@KelleyPerf, 1:06 AM 3/20/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To LAPD New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???

Old 03-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Rollin Black
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (L.A.P.D.)

I am interested in this also.

Let us know when they are ready to go Shaun.

Thanks, Perry
Old 03-20-2004, 02:09 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd also be interested in seeing it uncoated. I've never noticed any heat issues. I can ceramic coat it myself for cheap anyway.

chuckster: your logic is definitely one way of looking at it. However, paying $300+ for a blanket isn't any less insane. Nor is paying 1000s for a pretty engine bay. Some people think it's worth it, and some don't (me).

I'm really interested in this piece, but if it's gonna be $$$ I'll just buy a 1/4" sheet of aluminum and go to work with the drill press

I'm doing a clutch in the next month, so this would be nice to put up instead of the stock piece.

Dope
Old 03-20-2004, 03:30 AM
NVR BRNG
Racer

Default Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone??? (L.A.P.D.)

I'd be interested if it was in the $100 range. No Way for $380.

Running LT headers, there is an increase in heat, but I took care of most of it by insulating under the carpet and console.

Anyone else have real life experience w/ this part regarding how well it reduced chassic flex?

Also, can you install it w/o removing the exhaust system?

Quick Reply: LAPD New Product Release...Tunnel Heat/Suspension Re-Enforcement Cover...Possible GP Anyone???