C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS]

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:51 PM
ZR1Brian
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Video of John's C5R

The Beast sounds Awesome !

Here is a Video with some clips of John's C5R with a Solid Axle and a 9 inch Rear from the Vette Doctors.

Click here for The Vette Doctors website

Note: LARGE FILE !!
"Right Click" and "Save Target" to your PC to View Video -

Click here for Video of John's C5R from the Vette Doctors

Old 03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
bobby-rollbar
Racer

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (boweryboy)

To the guys at NRC Motorsports , can we get a group purchase deal on a back-half job ? :D :D

I'd rather get in on a group purchase on what is under the hood :)!

Mike, are you going to take the plunge? When Paul and I refered you to Bob back last year we thought you were ready. :yesnod:

[Modified by boweryboy, 4:01 PM 3/19/2004]
whats under the hood will only get you so far :yesnod: now a properly set up drag suspension will take you even father once you have whats under johns hood ;) jay :thumbs:

[Modified by bobby-rollbar, 1:45 AM 3/21/2004]

Old 03-21-2004, 12:10 AM
Hammer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Re: Video of John's C5R (ZR1Brian)

Man did that thing rev fast... and smooth. :smash:

:cheers: :cool:
Old 03-21-2004, 12:28 AM
SR71
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (bobby-rollbar)

That is one bad butt looking c5. I've thought about doing a back half on mine, but it would kill the driveability.

on a serious note, when you let cars like that start running in the quick 8, you have signaled the end for the little guys. it's become a pro drag deal now as NO vette with the factory tranny and rear will ever hook and leave like that back half monster. this IS the beginning of the end for streetable cars in the quick 8. nobody wants to bring their streetable car out and get slaughtered by that...that...pro drag car. a back halved car will now be required to be competitive. even if you add weight to it, it will still out 60 anything in the class. the class should stay with factory suspension and factory wheelwells. in another 2-3 years the quick 8 will just be another race with pro drag cars wearing corvette skins. and there will be no heads up racing for Joe Average.

the car does look wicked though. :D
Old 03-21-2004, 12:33 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (SR71)

when you let cars like that start running in the quick 8, you have signaled the end for the little guys. it's become a pro drag deal now as NO vette with the factory tranny and rear will ever hook and leave like that back half monster.
I disagree. The class is still open for some great competitive action and is now at a new level. Will someone running 10.6's have a chance? Not likely but then again should it? This is a run what ya brung class and should attract the quickest cars arround.
Old 03-21-2004, 12:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Het Billy I thought that was yours and you were getting ready for CVCC to road race :lol:

:cool: :thumbs:
Old 03-21-2004, 12:53 AM
SR71
Burning Brakes

of course you would disagree, your tuner built it. ask the regular competitors in the class if they think back half cars should be allowed. yes the class is at a new level now....whomever has the fatest wallet will win. everytime a class moves to a new level, it moves farther away from most of the competitors that it was meant to attract. when cars like that start running, your fields will start shrinking.....with the stock suspension and wheelwells, traction was the limiting factor. the guy with the most money didn't always win. when you can't put it all to the ground, the driver becomes the most important factor. with big tired, powerglided, back halved cars, traction is no longer the limiting factor....your wallet is.

[Modified by SR71, 11:57 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-21-2004, 01:14 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

SR71,

When you step up and come out to the track to compete you can start sharing your opinion. I have competed in every Corvette Quick 4 and Pro 8 except for 1 in the past 3 years and I do not have a problem with it regardless of the tuner. You have some real strong opinions for someone who lives 1000 miles away and has never competed in 1 single Corvette Challenge or Quick 4.

We had a super fast C4 running in the class for the past few years that none of us could catch. It had a solid rear and could run 8's all day. Even though Keith Brownlee's car never lost a series he competed in, it never stopped anyone from coming out. Tek Warrior, Major Spray, OneFast99, Carmen and myself still had a blast running against him and the crowd loved to watch him run. You really do not know what you are talking about. The faster the cars go the more attention the series gets and the more the crowd gets excited. If it eliminates the mid 10 sec car so be it. I bet the addition of this new set up and the exit of some mid 10 sec cars will still net more spectators!

Why don't you bring your TT 347 out so you and I can compete heads up :). I do not have a solid axel ;).

Old 03-21-2004, 01:33 AM
mackeyred96
Team Owner

Location: Former NCM Drag Racing coordinator, National director Corvette Challenge Spring Hill, Tennessee: Whiting, New Jersey
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

SR71,

When you step up and come out to the track to compete you can start sharing your opinion. I have competed in every Corvette Quick 4 and Pro 8 except for 1 in the past 3 years and I do not have a problem with it regardless of the tuner. You have some real strong opinions for someone who lives 1000 miles away and has never competed in 1 single Corvette Challenge or Quick 4.

We had a super fast C4 running in the class for the past few years that none of us could catch. It had a solid rear and could run 8's all day. Even though Keith Brownlee's car never lost a series he competed in, it never stopped anyone from coming out. Tek Warrior, Major Spray, OneFast99, Carmen and myself still had a blast running against him and the crowd loved to watch him run. You really do not know what you are talking about. The faster the cars go the more attention the series gets and the more the crowd gets excited. If it eliminates the mid 10 sec car so be it. I bet the addition of this new set up and the exit of some mid 10 sec cars will still net more spectators!

Why don't you bring your TT 347 out so you and I can compete heads up :). I do not have a solid axel ;).

:iagree: I agree with BILL, you have to understand the intent of this class.
First, you may not know this but this is a class with in the normal ECS Corvette Challenge, not a separate class. Every corvette there get to qualify for the VD PRO 8 and there is not a separate tech card fee to run. So it's extra runs for these competitors and it an honor to race for anyone who get included. And did I mention we have no PAYOUT :eek: They do this for a $20.00 TROPHY :eek: It's done because they love the sport and it gives the tuners who are sponsors and supports of the ESC CC a chance to showcase for their high end cars. So the "LITTLE GUYS" understand this going in and the guys with the fat wallets do it for the love if the sport.
It's that simple, and I will allow the technology to grow with the class.

[Modified by mackeyred96, 1:35 AM 3/21/2004]
Old 03-21-2004, 01:45 AM
Moundir
Drifting

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (bobby-rollbar)

To the guys at NRC Motorsports , can we get a group purchase deal on a back-half job ? :D :D

I'd rather get in on a group purchase on what is under the hood :)!

Mike, are you going to take the plunge? When Paul and I refered you to Bob back last year we thought you were ready. :yesnod:

[Modified by boweryboy, 4:01 PM 3/19/2004]

whats under the hood will only get you so far :yesnod: now a properly set up drag suspension will take you even father once you have whats under johns hood ;) jay :thumbs:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Do you do Vipers :crazy:
Old 03-21-2004, 01:45 AM
SR71
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (mackeyred96)

I watched the same thing happen in the national muscle car association with fastest street car series. most people were running back halved cars. I was building a car to compete. it took me 2 yrs to get the car together. but in that second year it happened. they let the first full tube chassis car into the class. by the next season, it was all tube cars with no semblance of streetability. it went from pro street to pro mod.all inside of 2yrs.

I am working on getting the car back together as time and finances allow. it should fire this coming week.

and if you don't like my strong opinions, don't read them. I am entittled to my opinion just like you are entittled to yours. :rolleyes:
Old 03-21-2004, 01:52 AM
boweryboy
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Good luck with your project! :cheers:
Old 03-21-2004, 07:42 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Dude, the guys with the fat wallets are always gonna have better toys... best not to worry about it and have fun with what you own.

VR :cheers:
Old 03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
bobby-rollbar
Racer

That is one bad butt looking c5. I've thought about doing a back half on mine, but it would kill the driveability.

on a serious note, when you let cars like that start running in the quick 8, you have signaled the end for the little guys. it's become a pro drag deal now as NO vette with the factory tranny and rear will ever hook and leave like that back half monster. this IS the beginning of the end for streetable cars in the quick 8. nobody wants to bring their streetable car out and get slaughtered by that...that...pro drag car. a back halved car will now be required to be competitive. even if you add weight to it, it will still out 60 anything in the class. the class should stay with factory suspension and factory wheelwells. in another 2-3 years the quick 8 will just be another race with pro drag cars wearing corvette skins. and there will be no heads up racing for Joe Average.

the car does look wicked though. :D
:yesnod: streetable car weve done many backhalved car that are driven on street,and still run the #s,streetable nowaday,s esp.with fuel injected cars is much more attainable than before. in the run what you brung class this route is actually cheaper for the racer,theres a one time expense,of trying to be the fastest in that class as oppossed to constantly repairing the factory parts [.i.e. major spray.] there will always be people like Paul who want to be the fastest in a specific group[stock rear/tranz combo streetable car,belive me paul drives his car,ive followed him on the 495 on the way out to test car at track] but with an average right now of 8 runs per a tranz[at the et,s he,s reaching it can also be cost prohibative for the average guy,John wanted to have a dependable car he could have fun with and really only have to worry about whats under the hood,He choose to have his engine built by Carmen and Dennis as it seems that the one thing Paul really dosnt have a problem is engine performance/longevity,so after checking and seeing that this car was allowed ,for class he wanted to run in it was decided this would be the best route both ,money and durability wise for him, he,s out to have fun and run, not run and repair,

whit :cheers:

[Modified by bobby-rollbar, 2:39 AM 3/22/2004]
Old 03-21-2004, 09:07 PM
TURBOZO6
Pro

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" (boweryboy)

Everyone has their own definition of a street car. So, if you guys want to stay
competitive, I suggest to start building pro stock chassis. So, what the hell I might. :D ;)
Old 03-21-2004, 10:57 PM
brent eb02
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" (boweryboy)

:cheers: on an awesome RACE CAR SET UP....

you guys are right this is a NEW LEVEL

IF YOU GUYS THINK YOU CAN COMPETE WITH THIS RACE CAR....
WITH YOUR STREET CAR YOUR
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Old 03-21-2004, 11:14 PM
onefast99
Melting Slicks

Looks like the car is doing 8's just standing still... :party:

Get notified of new replies

To The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS]

Old 03-22-2004, 12:38 AM
REDGAR
Team Owner

Cruise-In II & IV Veteran
CI VI Drag Champ!

Tom, a little off topic but you mentioned NMCA (NSCA now) above. Did you know that they now have a class called American Super Car Challenge that is heads-up index with a 9.99, 10.99 and 11.99. In fact they are running this weekend at No Problem in LA. That would be a place for us slower guys (11.2s) to get a feel for heads up.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:30 AM
BUD D'DONATO
Instructor

can't wait till april 3rd to see that bad boy run. :) :) :)
Old 03-22-2004, 03:35 AM
Gus
Racer

Cruise-In III Veteran
Default Re: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS] (BUD D'DONATO)

can't wait till april 3rd to see that bad boy run. :) :) :)
:iagree:

Quick Reply: The Vette Doctor's take it to the "Next Level" [PICS]