C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here is how to disable the DRL

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 12:03 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Here is how to disable the DRL

OK guys, a few weeks ago we had this topic in the Forum. I promised to make some pics on how to disable the DRL feature on a US Corvette C5. Remember: I live in germany and own a US Version C5 (not a Euro Version). I am not allowed to drive with the DRL, so i had to disable this option to pass the technical inspection (German TUV). However, i love those lights ON, so i had to find out how they disabled the DRL on my car. They just took out the two relays No. 38 and No 40 from the Instrument Panel Electrical Center (Passenger side footwell) and connected two of the 5 exposed slots where the relays usually sit in. A Euro (export) C5 will not have this. They disabled the DRL by using a differnt software (i guess).

So here we go:

1. Disconnect the negative battery Cable, Set ignition to OFF.

2. Remove Passenger Side Floormat. Behind the Floormat you will find a cover, fixed with two latches on top of the cover. Relatch and take away the cover. Behind the cover is on the left side the BCM (Body Control Module) on the right side the Instrument Panel Electrical Center (IPEC) -see picture:

3. Remove the cover of the IPEC by turning the black plastic wheel in the center of the cover to the left. Now you should see all the fuses and relays of the IPEC - see next picture:

4. Locate relays No. 38 and 40. On the backside of the IPEC cover you should have a layout of all fuses and relays. On the next picture i marked the two relays. No. 38 is the relay for the right DRL, No 40 is for the left side. Gently pull out both relays. Before doing so, double check if the battery is disconected and the ignition is OFF !

Here a picture of Relay No.38 removed, no. 40 still in place:

This is how the relay should look like. Check the serial no. Be shure that this is the correct relay ! Making any mistake here might destroy the BCM !

5. Now "build" two jumper wires, by using a short electrical wire. Connect on each side of the wire a little metall plug which will fit in the exposed contact slots where the relay sat before. Take your time doing this. Best you have this step prepared before you start the whole work, so you just have to plug it in now. See the picture on how i did it:

6. On the next picture you see the two slots that has to be connected by the self made jumper wire, i marked them with a yellow circle:

7. This is how the jumper wire should sit in place:

Now repeat this with relay no. 40. Connect the same two slots like you did it with the socket of relay no. 38.

Thats it. Put everything back in place, IPEC cover, compartement cover, Floormat. Keep the relays at a save place, you might want to use them again in the future, and they are very expensive !

The following users liked this post:
oneandgone (10-23-2017)
Old 03-15-2004, 07:24 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (Jochen)

Cool post and pics :cheers: ...but why go through all of that on a US C5 when you could just pull the #2 Fuse under the hood :confused:

Not a flame...just curious ;)
Old 03-15-2004, 08:02 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (Cajun75)

I agree, Cajun. But, when I pull #2 fuse I lose the backup lights approach function PLUS I get codes relating to DRL failure. Neither is a big deal but annoyed me enough to where I plugged the fuse back in. I know, I know - ****. :D

Awesome post, Jochen! :cheers: :cool: :thumbs: :chevy

[Modified by Patches, 8:03 PM 3/15/2004]
Old 03-15-2004, 09:23 PM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (Patches)

Patches,
I also removed the #2 fuse but had a different result.
I do not use the back-up light feature so that was not a big deal to lose that.
However, I did not get any codes.
All is fine.
Dave
Old 03-15-2004, 09:38 PM
speedyc5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (corvette dave)

:iagree:
Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 PM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Hey Jochen,

This summer I'll move back to Germany (near Nuernberg) and will take my Vettes with me.
I have been looking into this problem and I thought that removing fuse #2 would be enough. Thanks for the heads up.
I did already replace the front lights with the Euro version but I still have to find a solution for the rear fog lights. I don't want to cut the rear to install the rectangular Euro fogs so I'll try to keep the rear center lights red and the outer ones red/amber. I want to rig the center lights in such a way that they function as fog lights and at the same time as stop lights.
Question now is: Is this legal in Germany and would it pass TUV?

I looked at your home page but I could not see your rear fog light(s). How did you solve this?

Also, another question about the rear license plate. Did the plate fit the standard US frame or did you have to cut it to make it fit?

Are there any other items I forgot about to pass TUV?
You can post here or you can email me at rhoeven@bigfoot.com

Thanks in advance.

Roger

:cheers:
Old 03-20-2004, 07:48 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (rhoeven)

Roger,
sorry it took me long to reply to your question. I was out of town for a few days and couldnt check the Forum.
First of all i have to suggest that the german TUV regulations has to be applied on your car. I mention this because there are some exemptions for US citizens living in germany (e.g. when serving in the forces or working for the US government in germany) I know a person living here in germany who does not has to pass the TUV with his Corvette.
IF your car really has to pass the german TUV, there are a few points you have to take care for and you have to consider. Here the points i know:

Technical modifications:
- Disable DRL (this topic)
- install Euro Headlights (you did that already)
- if you dont have parklights in front you need them (you can get them from a GM dealer, they are installed next to the fog lamps)
- A towing hook has to get weldet to the frame in the front. I know a good dealer in germany who can do this, so its not vissible - easy thing, costs 50 $
- Fog light in rear. I dont think they will accept your solution. You can try, but if this will not work, see my homepage for some detailed pics of my foglight. (its now http://www.corvettec5.de This side is still under contruction, but the Gallery is finished, there you find the pics of the rear fog light, see pic 22, 25 and 27 under "My C5")
When installing the rear fog light, you have to consider this points:
1. Light MUST have an "E" number which identifies this lamp as a rear fog light.
2. Distance to ground min. 10 inches, max. 40 inches
3. you can have one or two RFL. If you install one, it has to be in the center OR on the left side of the rear.
4. Distance to brake lights minimum 4 inches.
5. The switch to turn the RFL "ON" must have a yellow indication light, installed good visible to the driver. So you will see when the RFL is sitched on or off.
6. Connect the plus for the RFL to the pus wire of the headligt. The RFL shall only work when the headlight is turned "ON".

Dont worry so much for all this points. You can buy a set that has all the neccesary items for less then 20 $ here in germany.

When performing the TUV inspection you need a few technical papers to make the job for the inspector possible. A VIN related Datasheet (easy to get from the TUV in germany), and a emmission datasheet (will be offered from the TUV as well. Those two documents costs approx. 210 Euro.

I can estimate that the whole process (Techn. changes, Paperwork, documentations, legalisation, create a german "title", exeptional permissions which you will need . . .) might cost you approx. 1000 Euro.

I can help you with all these things if you need some assistance. I know a "good" techn. inspector from the TUV and a guy who can make the remaining techn. changes.

BUT, you should really check before, if you really need to get a german title. As i mentioned above, there is a way for US citizens to skip all those steps and to drive with an unmodified Corvette here in germany.

Please let me know if i can do more for you.

Take care,

Jochen

[Modified by Jochen, 1:52 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 10:19 AM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Jochen,
I'm not a US citizen so all the TUV issues apply. It's realy cool that you offer support. It makes me feel a lot better. :cheers:

When I get there (August/September) I'll shoot you an email so we can meet in person and maybe have dinner and a couple of beers together.

Thanks

Roger :cheers:

l
Old 03-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (rhoeven)

Great idea ! Nuernberg is not far away from me, just 1 hour drive.

I will ask a friend of mine what will be the best to do in your situation. You can email me more details about you (nationality, profession, will you keep a residence in the US, can the car be registered (insured) in the US . . .) and i can find out what specific laws apply on your situation.

Dont worry about the license plate. Have a look on my webpage and you see that there are some very small german license plates. The standard tags would not fit the rear of the C5, so you can get a permission to have a smaller one (like i have).
BTW, in the rear, you should change the two outer lights to the euro version with the orange turning signal lights. That will make TUV a lot easier !
You dont have to change to the clear ones, as they are used as backup lights and you may still keep the stock backup light.
Alternatively you can use the clear ones in the corner and use some orange bulbs. But the point is you need a orange turning signal in the rear.

Looking forward hearing from you.

Jochen
Old 03-20-2004, 04:44 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Jochen; WOW... what a great write-up. And the pics make it easy for anyone to follow. Thanks much for sharing; there are many that know - but won't share this information (they think it gives them some sort of "edge" over everyone else :confused: )

Old 03-20-2004, 05:30 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (Mike Mercury)

I am glad to get such positive responses like from you guys. I really love to share any knowledge i have with other people, doesent matter if its about my Corvette passion, my job as an Air Traffic Controller or anything else . . .

Thanks ! :cheers:

Jochen
Old 03-20-2004, 07:51 PM
DocPapillon
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Jochen, wonderful write-up!! Any other mods you decide to "publish" will be sought after. Your positive attitude is a breath of fresh air - thanks dude!

:hurray: :hurray: :party: :hurray: :hurray:
Old 03-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Doubletap
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (IMQUIK)

:chevy :thumbs:
Old 03-22-2004, 12:36 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (DocPapillon)

Thanks ! I sent this one to the tech tip corner, so i hope the Admins will keep it there.

Jochen
Old 03-22-2004, 01:37 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Jochen,

Great description and thanks for taking the time to record it. I've pulled the A2 fuse and so far it seems to have worked and no fault codes. Looks like it doesn't work for everyone.

I plan to take my 'Vette back to UK when I return and I'll hit similar problems. Although the UK rules are a little different, I recognize some of the regulations. Probably standard throughout Europe.

I just love your Fog Lights. They are so much neater than the standard "holes in the bumper" on the Euro 'Vette. Where did you get them if you don't mind my asking? Are they available by mail? I had considered a square lamp between the exhaust pipes or wiring up the inboard lights with a direct on/off in the cockpit. The distance between lights would be critical for that option.

Thanks again for the post and I'll archive that one for future referece!

[Modified by DeeGee, 10:40 PM 3/21/2004]
Old 03-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (DeeGee)

Hi guys,
i just finished the gallery section of my new homepage (the whole site is still under contruction, but the gallery is finished), and would be more than happy when you could make the first entries into my new founded guestbook.
Please go to http://www.CorvetteC5.de choose your language, go to Menue - My Corvette - My C5 Gallery and enjoy the pictures ! (i hope you guys like Metallica)

Thanks !

Jochen
Old 03-22-2004, 07:19 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

:cool: :cheers: :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Here is how to disable the DRL

Old 03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (Doubletap)

Thanks for your entry to my guestbook ! :thumbs:

Jochen
Old 03-23-2004, 12:51 PM
Jochen
Drifting

Default Re: Here is how to disable the DRL (IMQUIK)

ttt
Old 03-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Jochen,

Thanks for posting this article. I had tried late last year to disconnect my DRLs, but didn't figure it out.

I have a question about another technical matter that you may have knowledge of:

- How do I disable the Chime-Buzzer on a C5 Corvette?

:flag :seeya

Quick Reply: Here is how to disable the DRL