C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Twitchy handling

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 10:33 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Twitchy handling

I got into an accident a few months ago that snapped my front right suspension (both A arms). The car has been repaired and has had a four wheel alignment….but now the car feels very twitchy. It follows pavement changes and the car will jump when it hits minor bumps in the road…..Has anyone experienced this…or have any idea what needs to be fixed? I would like to have some ideas in hand before I bring the car back to the shop.

Thanks,
Old 03-15-2004, 11:21 AM
OldSStroker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Twitchy handling (Charley Hoyt)

Front toe OUT, even a little could cause this.

You might have another alignment done by a different shop. If they have trouble getting the alilgnment there might be deeper damage.

Did the accident require replacing the front "cradle" that the lower arms attach to? I can't imagine it wasn't hurt, or at least bent.

Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: Twitchy handling (OldSStroker)

Front toe OUT, even a little could cause this.

You might have another alignment done by a different shop. If they have trouble getting the alilgnment there might be deeper damage.

Did the accident require replacing the front "cradle" that the lower arms attach to? I can't imagine it wasn't hurt, or at least bent.

Sorry for the delay in responding.... I believe that the spindle and the upper and lower A arms were replaced. I don't think there was any other damage. I think that I will have the shop recheck the allignment.

Thanks for the input.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:38 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

My 97 did the same thing until I started aligning the front myself. It doesn't take much difference to make the car twitchy on pavement seams, ruts and bumps.

However, due to the repairs you could have some other issue that is making it difficult to align the car.
Bill
Old 03-18-2004, 02:04 AM
tbird
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got into an accident a few months ago that snapped my front right suspension (both A arms). The car has been repaired and has had a four wheel alignmentÂ….but now the car feels very twitchy. It follows pavement changes and the car will jump when it hits minor bumps in the roadÂ…..Has anyone experienced thisÂ…or have any idea what needs to be fixed? I would like to have some ideas in hand before I bring the car back to the shop.

Thanks,
mine did same after accident. It had a bad tie rod end and after alignment it was all right till you got up speed and the pressure would let the front wheels spread because of the slack in the tie rod end , thus no toe in.
Jack up car and wiggle wheels to see if there is some slack

Tbird

Get notified of new replies

To Twitchy handling

Quick Reply: Twitchy handling