C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:21 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when.....

...I put the windows down???? My stock battery crapped out and left me high and dry over at base today. Decided to skip the jump start process and just got a ride to the local Pep Boys and picked up an Optima Red top. Hooked it up, everything works fine. But my lights till dim when I lower the windows. Is this something I just have to live with?? I thought that would stop when I replaced the battery.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:43 AM
Sorny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (FLYNAVY30)

:lurk:

I'm curious as well. Perhaps my battery isn't about to die...

Sorny
Old 03-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (FLYNAVY30)

...I put the windows down???? My stock battery crapped out and left me high and dry over at base today. Decided to skip the jump start process and just got a ride to the local Pep Boys and picked up an Optima Red top. Hooked it up, everything works fine. But my lights till dim when I lower the windows. Is this something I just have to live with?? I thought that would stop when I replaced the battery.
Just a guess but are you sure the new battery is fully charged? Maybe an overnight charge to be sure.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 AM
TGrits10
Pro

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Richin Chicago)

might be alternator as well. Ever since I've had my car the headlights have dimmed for an instant when my brakelights come on, that sort of thing...I was always :skep: about it, but never had any other ill effects. Then in the process of what turned out to be a bad starter I found out that the alternator was pumping like 77 amps instead of the expected/normal 115 or whatever it was. They quoted me a price to replace the alternator, but I decided it wasn't worth a few hundred bucks to keep the headlights from occasionally dimming, and said teh heck with it.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:58 AM
Sir Sel
Pro

Mine does it also, before and after optima yellow top install from day one I purchased it new. :confused:
Old 03-02-2004, 09:19 AM
Lestat52
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine also does that. Bought car new and did it from day 1. I have the red top but it still does it. I just learned to ignore the momentary dimming.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
BayouVette
Drifting

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Lestat52)

same here.. just looks like another "normal" problem gm fails to notice... I hope it dont get worse when I install my stereo
Old 03-02-2004, 09:57 AM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,366 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (BayouVette)

cool....as long as its "normal"
Old 03-02-2004, 10:47 AM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem with the stock battery, and also with the red top. Not sure if there is any way to fix it.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Fleet 1
Advanced

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (TGrits10)

might be alternator as well. Ever since I've had my car the headlights have dimmed for an instant when my brakelights come on, that sort of thing...I was always :skep: about it, but never had any other ill effects. Then in the process of what turned out to be a bad starter I found out that the alternator was pumping like 77 amps instead of the expected/normal 115 or whatever it was. They quoted me a price to replace the alternator, but I decided it wasn't worth a few hundred bucks to keep the headlights from occasionally dimming, and said teh heck with it.
I have the problem when I step on the brakes the headlites ficker once and I noticed the l.e.d on the radio flickers as well. :crazy:
Old 03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
TLewis4095
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Fleet 1)

Comon problem...I have it as well. Getting worse...I'm sure it is a faulty altenator. Easy swap. :cheers:
Old 03-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Rays Vet
Racer

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (TLewis4095)

More than likely the alternator. Not that it is defective but not enough amperage to cover the electrical load.GM was right on the edge with this one.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:10 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Rays Vet)

It can also be caused by a higher than normal resistance in the wiring from the source (alternator/battery). A little more current draw through the resistor will drop the voltage to the rest of the system and you will get some flickering as the current starts and stops. Check the battery cables for corrosion. They might be slightly undersized also. Since the alternator isn't set up for remote sensing it can't adjust for voltage differences at the end of a long wire.
Bill
Bill
Old 03-03-2004, 01:53 AM
BigBlue
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Bill Dearborn)

My truck, my dad's car, and my mom's truck all do it. Done it since new. Everycar we've ever owned has done it. No matter what make or model.
Old 03-03-2004, 01:57 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when.....

If you engine is running when you do this, then your battery isn't at fault.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:50 AM
lowdowndirty
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (Rays Vet)

More than likely the alternator. Not that it is defective but not enough amperage to cover the electrical load.GM was right on the edge with this one.
:iagree: This is not due to the battery.
Old 03-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,297 Likes on 13,970 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Could be your alternator also. If it is not putting out a sufficient charge, the lights will dim. It may dim slightly because you are putting more drain on the system when you use the windows.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:15 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when..... (lowdowndirty)

:iagree: This is not due to the battery.
This is normal in all cars. It's not a problem. When a new load is put on the electrical system it take a moment for it to respond to the new demand and compensate with more current.

Don't worry about it. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when.....

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top Battery....why do my lights still dim when.....