C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 AM
sbelow
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install...

Need a little help with some minor popping. Just installed the LGM headers, took out for first drive and I'm getting some hesitation/misfiring? I'm inexperienced, but think it may be a loose spark plug. I noticed some minor sparking on one of the plugs between the metal spark plug shield and the engine--signs of a bad wire or just loose? Of course it's the rearmost driverside plug! :banghead: D'ohhh. I'll try to get to it when it cools off. Also got the check engine light as a result upon acceleration/hesitation.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
SB
Old 02-22-2004, 12:14 PM
dpd
Drifting

Default Re: Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install... (sbelow)

sounds like you cracked a spark plug if it's arcing to the sheild.when you put the wires on it should click once on to the plug and click twice into the coil.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:17 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Also, the hesitation can come from having the 02s connected to the wrong side. Make sure that the left collector 02 goes to the left side wireing harness, and the right one goes to the right side. They are easy to mix up since the 02s point to the opposite side.

The cracked plug also sounds very possible. We usually put new plugs in.

LG
Old 02-23-2004, 07:21 PM
sbelow
Intermediate

Default Re: Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install... (LG Motorsports)

Thanks for the help, turns out it was just a loose spark plug wire :rolleyes: D'ohh! It's on there tight now! I'm so glad I made the investment! It's still cold up here in these here woods, so couldn't push it too much, but WOW! what a rumble/growl! But only when provoked! I tell ya, it's therapeutic! I can't wait to "feel" the difference at Road America in April!

Thanks again, :seeya
Scott
Old 02-23-2004, 09:44 PM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

So Scott...tell us a few things about the LGM header install. Like what did you have to remove on both sides to get the headers in? Did you have to remove the starter or the battery or any other parts to get them in? Do you have any tips you would recommend now that yours are in and humming real good?
Thanks for you help in advance,
Leo

[Modified by Leo the Lion, 9:46 PM 2/23/2004]
Old 02-24-2004, 11:33 AM
BLU-JACKET
Advanced

Default Re: Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install... (Leo the Lion)

The LG's are one of the best headers for ease of install. Not to mention, quality & performance :D . However, you do not have to remove the starter, alternator or the engine mounts. Probably the most challenging part is making sure the O2's are set correctly. :cheers:
Old 02-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install... (BLU-JACKET)

Blu-Jacket......really you don't have to remove the alternator? That's good news. :thumbs: I know the o2 sensors will be a little hassle but I think I'll wait until I do the install to worry about them. If I get into trouble I'll be on here in a heart beat.
Thanks for your reply.
Leo
Old 02-29-2004, 09:36 AM
sbelow
Intermediate

Leo,

I took off the alternator and was glad I did--I also took off the points and took out the spark plugs. I didn't take off the starter, and it was a bit of a trick getting the passenger side header past it, a little vaseline, a little elbow grease and some patience were required (ok I'm jokin' on the vaseline). The only other trick really was getting the bellhousing bolted up to the mounts. Loosen the mounting bracket to get a little play and then the use of some force/leverage got it there. I'm a beginner at this stuff and it wasn't too difficult, I just took my time and read everybody's posts--which helped greatly. I'm so glad I made the investment, it sounds awesome and made noticeable power gains (seat of the pant's measurement). Good luck! :cheers:
Old 02-29-2004, 12:57 PM
BLU-JACKET
Advanced

Blu-Jacket......really you don't have to remove the alternator? That's good news. :thumbs: I know the o2 sensors will be a little hassle but I think I'll wait until I do the install to worry about them. If I get into trouble I'll be on here in a heart beat.
Thanks for your reply.
Leo

When I did the install on my 03 Z06, I only had to remove the coil pack, air tube plumbing & the black bolt from the steering shaft. The old manifold was lifted out & the LG was slid in from below :D .........

BTW, the 02 sensors are not a big deal. Just make sure not to drop or damage them when being removed & installed.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Leo the Lion
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

sbelow and Blujacket.......thanks for your help. I start my install tomorrow morning. I think this shouldn't be to difficult if I take my time. I'm especially worried about crossing threading header bolts. I think if I somehow number them so they go back in the same flanges they came from I should be alright.
Thanks again
Leo

Get notified of new replies

To Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install...

Quick Reply: Troubleshoot Help Post LGM Header Install...