C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 04:05 PM
0Gary@ronal
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in..

It's good that they've addressed the issue and complaints about the steering wheel lock up...now I think they need to address the issue of the clutch problems...especially under hard driving, and hi temperature!
Anybody want to add to this...Z06's have this issue quite a bit! :smash:
Old 02-10-2004, 04:08 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (Gary@ronal)

Not just Z06's, add a certain '01 coupe :mad
Old 02-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (allanlaw)

Make it two '01 Coupes...
Old 02-10-2004, 05:51 PM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (Gary@ronal)

Unless its a safety concern, I bet it wont get fixed. I'm on my third OEM clutch that has had the "sticking clutch pedal". Once you go aftermarket it seems to go away.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:52 PM
jkz06
Pro

My 01 Z06 actually just did this on Sunday I think. I took my brother for a ride, and needless to say I wasn't being easy on the car. I hadn't been out that long and the clutch started only coming out about half way. It wasn't slipping like the clutch was toasted, it just wouldnt come out all the way. It cooled down and it was fine. Is this what your talking about?
Old 02-10-2004, 07:22 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (jkz06)

My 01 Z06 actually just did this on Sunday I think. I took my brother for a ride, and needless to say I wasn't being easy on the car. I hadn't been out that long and the clutch started only coming out about half way. It wasn't slipping like the clutch was toasted, it just wouldnt come out all the way. It cooled down and it was fine. Is this what your talking about?
Yes, except it stays just about all the way down. If you can get your toe under it, you can get it up and after a while it seems to be OK. However, when it happens on a downshift into a turn on the track, you really don't want to be poking around with your left foot under the clutch.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:41 PM
0Gary@ronal
Former Vendor

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (allanlaw)

Exactly the point...and the symptom...
Imagine going hard into a turn, concrete walls, cars behind...brake--downshift, and OOOPPS>>>no clutch...neutral...brake hard...someone slams into your rear...go neutral..???and brake, turn..and HOPE ??? Definitely no acceleration....keep your eyes open, --at the same time REACH w. your left foot---probably braced against the dead pedal.....and try to LIFT the pedal off the floor....
DAMN, wait till this happens, and someone gets hurt...because of this continuous problem...and they know about it!!! These are PERFORMANCE CARS meant to be driven!!! America's Sports Car..!!!
Old 02-10-2004, 08:04 PM
jkz06
Pro

What would be the fix for this? Does this happen because the clutch sucks, or some other reason?
Old 02-10-2004, 09:05 PM
sbelow
Intermediate

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (jkz06)

I have an 01 z06 and it's happened at least 4-5 times. Twice at Road America with some abusive driving and lately, just taking it through the gears hard. It's very frustrating to be sure! Pops back with the "toe lift" technique and upon cooling off.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:18 PM
dogdoc97
Intermediate

I cannot believe there is a recall on models from 97 -04, what the hell have they been doing; I had a2001, sold in 2002, just LAST week bought a 2004 and I have to hear this crap; I AM FREAKED...and what about the clutch, mine is a 6pseed or is it PRIMARILY on the Z which my BROTHER is to buy next week; for 50 K you would think they would have this resolved, and to think folks are goona buy a C-6 right off the bat; they did not discover the oil consumption issue till 2001, and the car had been out since 97; sorry guys I am rambling but I have had her ONE WEEK and now it may have to go in???
DOGDOC :cry :mad
Old 02-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Tormania
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

My '00 coupe suffered from this twice and both times I got the clutch replaced under warranty, so I'm on my 3rd OEM clutch as well. Haven't ben quite as hard on the car with this last one and it's been about 18 months eon this clutch. Car hasn't seen a drag strip on 2+ yrs too. I'm sure it would come back if I beat on it really hard, still drive her hard but not drag strip type abuse.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:05 AM
oufan2929
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (Tormania)

I hear its because the slave cylinders suck. This week I'm replacing my clutch and getting a new slave cylinder. I hear this will fix the problem
Old 02-11-2004, 02:55 AM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (oufan2929)

I hear its because the slave cylinders suck. This week I'm replacing my clutch and getting a new slave cylinder. I hear this will fix the problem
I strongly disagree with this. I've had 10 different slave cylinders (including about 4 beta ones from Mcleod) in my LS1 cars over the past 4 years and not a single one of them fixed the issue. A stiffer pressure plate, however, fixed it every time.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:10 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Exactly the point...and the symptom...
Imagine going hard into a turn, concrete walls, cars behind...brake--downshift, and OOOPPS>>>no clutch...neutral...brake hard...someone slams into your rear...go neutral..???and brake, turn..and HOPE ??? Definitely no acceleration....keep your eyes open, --at the same time REACH w. your left foot---probably braced against the dead pedal.....and try to LIFT the pedal off the floor....
Yup, racing ain't fun enough unless you have the sticking clutch pedal to deal with. Anyway, mine seems to stick AFTER the downshift happens, so the car is in the lower gear, it's not entirely clear whether the clutch is slipping or fully engaged, but the pedal is surely on the floor. The distraction is clearly not helpful for reducing lap times :auto:
Old 02-11-2004, 02:16 PM
0Gary@ronal
Former Vendor

EXACTLY...nor is it SAFE...but it is dangerous and risky...Especially w. someone behind you!!!
Let's get GM on this issue!!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Dicecal
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Had the same problem on my 2001 Coupe. There is a TSB that addresses the problem. My dealer put in a Z06 clutch/slave and master under warrenty. Works great now ! Get your dealer to fix it !!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:49 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (Dicecal)

Had the same problem on my 2001 Coupe. There is a TSB that addresses the problem. My dealer put in a Z06 clutch/slave and master under warrenty. Works great now ! Get your dealer to fix it !!
You need a dealer you can work with. Some will not do it unless they can duplicate the problem. And you don't want to say "by the way, it only happens on the track" :lol: And some will not agree to put a Z06 clutch setup in a coupe on warranty - they replace the non-Z clutch stuff with another non-Z clutch setup, which might not do the trick (see earlier poster about multiple fixes not working).

[Modified by allanlaw, 12:50 PM 2/11/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in..

Old 02-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Paras
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in..

So how do we draw GMs attention to this--maybe just this thread? GM might as well fix both problems (steering lock and clutch) at the same time so that they don't eventually have to call the cars in twice... Maybe they could fix the problem where sometimes the car doesn't want to go into first gear after going from a stoplight too. I know how to get around the problem but its really BS to have to put the car in second or third and then put it in first...

[Modified by Paras, 1:58 PM 2/11/2004]
Old 02-11-2004, 05:06 PM
allanlaw
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in.. (Dicecal)

OK, you inspired me - I'm heading to the dealer early next week. Do you have a reference on that TSB? I recall that it might not have been a TSB, but some other kind of service information document.

-Update: Found it. It's a "Service VME" whatever that is:

Service VME - Clutch Pedal Does Not Return When Depressed #PI00206

Service VME -- Clutch Pedal Does Not Return When Depressed

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

SERVICE VME
This is a service VME regarding 1997 through 2002 Corvettes. We[rsquo ]ve had several complaints of the clutch pedal not returning when depressed. If air gets into the hydraulic clutch system, the clutch pedal may not return when depressed. This may occur at low speeds, when stopped or possibly during high RPM shifts. One source of this condition may be the clutch slave cylinder. If the clutch pressure plate was not evenly torqued to the flywheel it may have been distorted. This could result in the clutch release fingers being uneven causing the clutch slave cylinder to wobble. This wobble will eventually damage the internal seal and the slave cylinder allowing air to enter the system. If this situation is present the recommended repair is to replace both the clutch slave and clutch master cylinders. A visual inspection of the pressure plate release fingers for wobble, which would appear similar to a bent wheel, should be performed when servicing the slave cylinder. If the release fingers are found to have this condition, it will also be necessary to replace the clutch assembly. Evenly torquing the pressure plate to the flywheel is necessary to prevent this condition.

Please follow this diagnosis process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. If these steps do not resolve the condition, please contact GM TAC for further diagnostic assistance. This diagnostic approach was developed for the vehicle with the VIN you entered and should not be automatically be used for other vehicles with similar symptoms.

[Modified by allanlaw, 3:23 PM 2/11/2004]
Old 02-11-2004, 06:46 PM
ICUALL
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Had this issue on my 2000 Coupe, after many arguments wil the deal they met me half way and paid for a Z06 Master / Slave Cylinder and I paid for a new Z06 Clutch and Pressure plate. After 10,000 + miles have NOT had a re-occurance of the issue.... Not happy with having to pay for clutch and pressure plate but am Happy it seems to be fixed. GM customer seervice responce was they DO NOT deal with these issues under extended warantee and I should be Happy the dealer was "SO KIND" to me....

Quick Reply: Corvette RECALL's...they should also address the issue of clutch Sticking in..