C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sidemarker/Turn Signal Lamps

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 07:38 PM
George Cooper
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sidemarker/Turn Signal Lamps

For those of you who have the European rear lights, it turns out to be a very simple matter to have it so that the sidemarker lamps both function in the usual way and also serve as repeaters for the turn signals. All you have to do is to cut the ground wire (black) that goes to the sidemarker bulb and attach the bulb end of this wire to the hot lead (yellow driver’s side, green passenger’s side) of the turn signal lamp. When the running lights are off, the sidemarkers blink in phase with the turn signal lamps. When the running lights are on, the sidemarkers function as usual and also blink out of phase with the turn signal light when it is on. Strictly speaking, to be in compliance with NHTSA you should have the European amber sidemarkers rather than the stock red ones. I do not know if there is a way to get this to work with the domestic rear lights, since I do not think that they have a separate wire devoted to the turn signal.

I got this idea from Daniel Stern Lighting, who has it on their tech tips page:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...rkerflash.html

Quick Reply: Sidemarker/Turn Signal Lamps