C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock installation questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 01:45 PM
FNC80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Shock installation questions

I've done a search on the installation process, but does anyone have any tips or tricks to make the process smoother? How long does it take to install all 4?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:51 PM
MaxPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shock installation questions (FNC80)

Pretty easy maybe about 2-3 hrs. Front ones are a little bit of a pain... make sure you have a 6mm open end. Other than that just unbolt the upper A arms to give you more room to work and it should go smooth.

Good luck
Old 01-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Legacy
Advanced

It only took a couple hours for shocks and sway bars. I did the rears first and thought they were trickier than the fronts. If you use a second jack under the A arm assembly to move it up and down as needed it makes things go smoother. One other thing I did was take and compress the shock fully and tie it together fully compressed with a string. This makes it a lot easier to get back in the car. When it is in place cut the string and the spring expands fully then bolt it in place. Theres no need to remove anything but the wheel and the shock for the whole job. Very simple.

Drake
Old 01-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Legacy
Advanced

Default Re: Shock installation questions (Legacy)

It only took a couple hours for shocks and sway bars. I did the rears first and thought they were trickier than the fronts. If you use a second jack under the A arm assembly to move it up and down as needed it makes things go smoother. One other thing I did was take and compress the shock fully and tie it together fully compressed with a string. This makes it a lot easier to get back in the car. When it is in place cut the string and the spring expands fully then bolt it in place. Theres no need to remove anything but the wheel and the shock for the whole job. Very simple.

Drake
One other thing If you don't unbolt the upper A arms ( I didn't), just take a large wrench to start compression of the shock between the shock and upper mounting bracket. Keep compressing until you get the old shock out. Then after compressing the new one and tying it, it goes right back in.

Drake
Old 01-06-2004, 02:01 PM
FNC80
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Thanks for the replies.

How would you use a wrench to compress the shock?
Old 01-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Legacy
Advanced

Thanks for the replies.

How would you use a wrench to compress the shock?
Place the open end of a large wrench between the top of the shock and the upper mounting brakcet. Pry downward adjusting the orientation of the wrench as you go until you can clear the bolt from the upper mounting bracket. I chose not to unbolt any of the suspension components to try and reduce the chance of needing an alignment. Or if you have gorilla like grip just grab the shock and pull downward with enough force to compress it.

Drake
Old 01-06-2004, 05:51 PM
2KVetteMan
Melting Slicks

:lurk:

Alex sounds pretty simple to me. WE will not have a problem doing the job.

Hey my schedule is alittle all over the place this weekend. I called the lady to find out what we are doing. Saturday meeting friends and driving downtown LA to shop :U .

Sunday getting up at 6am to go to the Rose Bowl Flea Market :sleep: . I can't back out she would be upset.

After all she is taking me to the L.A Auto Show wednesday night :D to see the C6.

What about the following weekend?

Get notified of new replies

To Shock installation questions

Quick Reply: Shock installation questions