C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I know my clutch is slipping

Old 12-16-2003, 10:18 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How do I know my clutch is slipping

My clutch recently changed. The clutch is NOT slipping, however the pedal feels different. The clutch engages closer to the floor now... WTF? I am getting less pedal travel now.
Old 12-16-2003, 11:20 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do I know my clutch is slipping (ICULUKN-C5)

Sniff check. :)
Old 12-16-2003, 12:09 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: How do I know my clutch is slipping (IMQUIK)

Sniff check. :)
:iagree:
Youll eb able to smell the clutch smelling, also your RPM's will be considerably higher. The change in pedal pressure is probably due to climate change. The fluid expands and contract as the temps change, your clutch will adjust after a couple of days or miles of driving
Old 12-16-2003, 07:40 PM
RichieRich
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Re: How do I know my clutch is slipping (Monster231)

The change in pedal pressure is probably due to climate change. The fluid expands and contract as the temps change, your clutch will adjust after a couple of days or miles of driving
I've noticed my pedal has a lot more play in it now that it's gotten quite a bit colder. Once the car is warmed up and/or it's later in the day and warmer, it feels normal. I went out on the first really cold morning the other day and there was no engagement until it was about halfway to the floor. After about 15 minutes it was fine. I've had the car for 3 years and never noticed this though. Time for new fluid?
Old 12-16-2003, 07:49 PM
VERYSOON
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts

A good way to tell if your clutch is slipping is to drive up a steep incline. Put her in 4th or even fifth going around 30 mph and romp on her a bit. If your rpm rises rapidly and your speed increases slowly (relatively) your clutch is slipping. Bet you don't have a problem, though.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:05 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

... The clutch engages closer to the floor now...
That's expected. As far as I can tell, the master/slave relationship doesn't adjust like the brakes do. So, if you work out the geometry (a friend of mine and I did just this earlier this week), when the clutch disk is new (thickest) the engage/disengage point will be towards the bottom of your pedal travel. As the disc wears, that point will move upwards. My clutch has 110,000+ miles on it now, and the engagement point is towards the top of the travel.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 12-16-2003, 10:52 PM
NVR BRNG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused with your original post. Note your question: "How do I know my clutch is slipping?"

Then you go on to say, the clutch is NOT slipping, but the pedal travel is different.

Yes, if you do have slippage, you will smell it and hear the motor rev up more than accelerate under some load.

Otherwise, the posts here give some possible areas to check. Are you getting complete engagement to begin with? If you're confident in a proper install, check your master & slave & fluid and check w/ the installer & clutch mfg. on the pedal travel when it's brand new.

Get notified of new replies

To How do I know my clutch is slipping

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I know my clutch is slipping