C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 02:45 PM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related.

Been tracking down a problem with my CLB, and it looks like the BCM in the 97/98 model years is just a bit different. A few of us with 97/98's cannot get the CLB to work correctly 100% of the time or so I've read. I cannot get my CLB to work unless I try to start the car twice every time.
I looked at my wifes 01 BCM and visually it appears the same, so I am betting that the programming for 99+ years is the difference. Has anyone had their BCM reflashed at the dealer or elsewhere. Considering replacing it, I think this is this GM Part # 9353691, but I'd have to get the new one reflashed too. Wanting some feedback before I talk to any service departments. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
0vetteshop
Former Vendor

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Re: 97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related. (DogOneTex)

Only the PCM can be reflashed with updates,not the BCM.The only thing that can be changed in the BCM is the options.The only time that the BCM is programmend is if it is replaced,or the options are changed.There are no BCM updates.

[Modified by C-5 TECH, 3:10 PM 12/12/2003]
Old 12-13-2003, 11:52 PM
EWill3rd
Advanced

Default Re: 97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related. (DogOneTex)

As stated, the BCM is not REprogrammable.
When it is initially installed it has to be configured with the RPO codes for the vehicle that it is installed in, when used it learns the theft deterrent code from your key and cannot be installed in another car.
It is not SPS reprogrammable in any model year to date.
The only SPS function that it is subject to is a theft deterrent relearn to synchronize it with the PCM so it sends the proper password if the PCM is replaced.
Once it's installed and configured, it's a done deal.
If it's installed and not programmed properly, it's done too, only in a BAD way.

EWill
Old 12-14-2003, 02:07 AM
TorchRedRaider
Racer

Well that answers that question. A big thanks to both of you.

Get notified of new replies

To 97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related.

Quick Reply: 97/98: Anyone had their BCM reflashed, not replaced. CLB related.