C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 07:33 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Default DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator

Now that we have it, were are all those people that asked us to do one? If I can get twenty people to join in, we'll offer these for $100 off list. That's $470 for the automatic! According to my research on some of the other tuners on this forum, that's about 200-300 cheaper. Sign up!

www.dewitts.com/pages/productdetail.asp?ProdID=304

[Modified by Tom DeWitt, 6:34 PM 12/6/2003]
Old 12-07-2003, 08:44 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (Tom DeWitt)

Tom:

Is this an exact drop in replacement, or do other alterations need to be done?

I remember something about trimming the plastic shroud, which is no biggie, but is anything else required to make this radiator fit?

Thanks.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:06 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Tom: I am interested in the automatic version for my 2004. Got to get ready for the hot Las Vegas summers where the stock unit falls short. I too also need to know about the install and what is involved.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Do you make a heavy duty rad for the manual with an engine oil cooler? If so, how much?
Old 12-07-2003, 01:32 PM
R6_C5_CLS55
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (Buckmaster)

:iagree: I am interested in the same thing.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:38 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

If you want an oil cooler and have a manual trans, then just order the automatic and use that one. If you have an auto and want an oil cooler, your out of luck. There just isn't enough room for both.
As far as a "Direct Fit" I feel it's as close to that as posible and get the double row core in there. I installed one and the only thing I did was cut these two corners.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:54 PM
BLU-JACKET
Advanced

Tom,

What will be the price for an 03-Z06? What will be the expected change in temp from the stock unit? 10-20 or 30 degrees cooler? :cheers:
Old 12-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Buckmaster
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Really? I was told that the BeCool with the tranny cooler could NOT be used as an engine oil cooler if used on the manual C5. Why is your radiator different?
If you want an oil cooler and have a manual trans, then just order the automatic and use that one. If you have an auto and want an oil cooler, your out of luck. There just isn't enough room for both.
As far as a "Direct Fit" I feel it's as close to that as posible and get the double row core in there. I installed one and the only thing I did was cut these two corners.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:56 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

There are several types of trans coolers available, some higher rated (and more $) than others. The honest answer is I don't know what this will drop the engine oil down too but it will drop it something. Is that something enough? I don't know. We find out a lot of stuff by trial and error. If it works with the standard trans cooler, then we'll stay with that one. If it's not enough, then maybe we have to look at the more expensive aluminum plate type.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:08 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (BLU-JACKET)

Tom,

What will be the price for an 03-Z06? What will be the expected change in temp from the stock unit? 10-20 or 30 degrees cooler? :cheers:
As far as I know, the Z06 uses the same radiator and therefore the price is the same. If you feel it is different, I'd be interested to know what.

The temperature drop is a result of many factors. Outside ambient air will have a major effect on the bottom line but it you just change the radiator you will see no difference. That's because the system is telling it to run at the higher factory temps. You'll have to install a lower thermostat and a new chip with the fans coming on at a lower temp. I believe the factory setting is 220
Old 12-09-2003, 11:40 PM
FRED HAMBLE
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 80 Posts

Tom how many takers? does the 470 include shipping?
Thanks Fred
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (FRED HAMBLE)

Well, I can't really answer that question. There is only one letter difference between talkers and takers and based on prior gp that we ran, I'd say about half the people that post positive here, actually buy one. I do not have one single firm commitment yet, and no, freight is not included.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:24 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as a "Direct Fit" I feel it's as close to that as posible and get the double row core in there.
I am a bit confused here. I have a manual tranny and spend a fair amount of time in HPDE schools. I am looking to put both a tranny cooler and an oil cooler with the posibilty of a accu-sump. So there may not be room??

[Modified by AU N EGL, 4:25 PM 12/11/2003]
Old 12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (AU N EGL)

Looks nice.

Until it is tested, there is no way to know if there is enough temp drop to make this work as an oil cooler on a manual car. If you want a tranny cooler, and an oil cooler, one will need to be an external cooler, and one could use the internal cooler.

My recommendation would be two external coolers so that if you frag something you can throw the cooler away rather than having to either ditch the radiator, or bypass its internal cooler.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:14 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (AU N EGL)

I am a bit confused here...
I have a manual tranny...
I am looking to put both a tranny cooler...
[Modified by AU N EGL, 4:25 PM 12/11/2003]
If you have a manual transmission, why do you need an automatic cooler?

Keep in mind, if a new high performance radiator lowers the engine coolant 30-40 degrees, then you cool the oil too!
Old 12-11-2003, 06:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

You don't want to use the auto trans cooler as either an engine OR manual transmission cooler. These type of heat exchangers will not removed enough heat for those of you looking for heavy duty coolers. This looks like a really nice radiator, but don't make it into something that it isn't (It IS a radiator only).
Old 12-11-2003, 06:26 PM
Ex-airhead
Advanced

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (J-Rod)

My car (2000 6spd) is the one Tom used to test-fit the new radiator. He really did a great job with this one. You absolutely cannot tell that it's not the original in there! I think he did great work developing a higher-capacity radiator that fits into the limited space under a C5's hood. When we were talking about this project, he mentioned that his goal was to make it as close to a "direct fit" as possible. I think he succeeded and more.

I can tell you that the new radiator is going to help out tremendously when spring comes to the Great White North and I can get the car back on the track (road course). The new radiator fits within the old one's "footprint" because the original piece is ridiculously thin and completely inadequate for anything other than just "driving around" in a moderate climate. The original looks like it would be perfectly adequate for a Civic, but not a big V8. Thank GM's purchasing dept for that one (believe me, I know how they work - it's price, price, price only there).

I'm going to put a separate engine oil cooler in front of the radiator this spring. It has been done before, there's room - no big deal. The reason that the auto trans model w/ tranny cooler doesn't work as an engine oil cooler is that the diameter of internal tubes is different from what's required for an engine oil cooler. I know from my 911 days that the LAST thing you want to do is take a chance of creating a restriction in your oil circuit. If you do, you may blow an oil line (best case) or cause your oil pump to fail. Oil coolers for a C5 look pretty cheap to me (esp compared to Porsche parts prices!) and it's just a better way to go. If you're going to use the car on the track, you don't want to try to save a few bucks since it is likely to cost you more in the long run.

I hope several of you take advantage of Tom's GP offer. He has come up with a really nice product, plus he's a sponsor and a really good guy!

:cheers:

Greg

Get notified of new replies

To DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator

Old 12-11-2003, 06:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator (davidfarmer)

Thanks David.

Any suggestions for the trany and oil coolers?? I am planning to do 7 to 10 HPDE schools next year and any other track time I can get.

:cheers: Tom
Old 12-11-2003, 11:21 PM
BHP
Le Mans Master

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

So is the GP on? Tom what is my total out the door cost to Las Vegas NV?
Old 12-12-2003, 10:55 AM
tblazec5
Intermediate

I’ll commit to one, c’mon guy lets get this GP going.
All talkers?

Quick Reply: DeWitts GP C5 aluminum radiator