C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - Problem is intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 02:11 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - Problem is intermittent

So....I have gotten this problem with all the bells/alarms going off saying "Service Active Handling, Service Traction Control, Service ABS." It is infrequent.....last time it happened was 2 months ago up until yesterday. Then it went on yesterday morning and didnt turn off the entire day after many times of stopping and turning off and on the car. This morning it hasn't shown any problems. But the code I'm getting is:

TCS C1214 - Solenoid Valve Relay Contact or coil CKT Open

How in the world can I diagnose and make an effort at fixing this without going to the dealer. Is there a bad connection somewhere? A loose connection? Need connection cleaned? I don't "think" the solenoid has gone bad, because well....I would assume that when it goes bad, it would stay bad and not be fickle about it. Any input?

Thanks

By the way....my brake system is completely stock...no SS brake lines.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:55 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - (RskyBns)

A relay's contacts can get dirty and cause an intermittent open to occur.
Bill
Old 10-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Same code on my car a couple of months ago. It was the abs module and I was out of warranty. Costs between $600 and $900 (part only) depending on if you pay retail or buy from GMpartsdirect.com. Mine started off intermitently too but then became permanent. ABS light eventually stayed on and ABS did not work at all.

[Modified by Rippied Z06, 4:01 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (Rippied Z06)

Going through the service manual it looks as if it says there is not repair for the relay problem....the way to fix is to replace the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). So....I get the feeling I will have to end up taking it to a dealer. Anyone have this done....what's the approximate down time? :rolleyes:
Old 10-28-2003, 07:42 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

Default Re: (RskyBns)

If it's just the Module about 1.5 to do. It's an easy job if you think you can tackle the replacement. If it needs the BPMV it will obviously take longer.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:55 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (bowtiebandit)

1.5 isn't too bad. How much longer for the BPMV? In your opinion/experience what do you think needs to be done?

Are these parts that most dealers keep in stock? Or will they have to order?

[Modified by RskyBns, 4:56 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

99 percent of the time it is the module..every now and then you find one when you open it to be contaminated with brake fluid.

We don't stock it but I can have it usually within a day.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:47 PM
kenzietwo
Advanced

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214

I had the identical problem on my 00. Took three trips to the dealer to fix it since it was intermittent. They finally replaced the message center computer and it's ben fine now for two years.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:05 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

The EBCM is the part I replaced. It can be replaced without opening the brake fluid system as it separates from that part of the system. Less than 1 hour to do yourself.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:06 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: (bowtiebandit) (Rippied Z06)

99 percent of the time it is the module..every now and then you find one when you open it to be contaminated with brake fluid.
We don't stock it but I can have it usually within a day.
The EBCM is the part I replaced. It can be replaced without opening the brake fluid system as it separates from that part of the system. Less than 1 hour to do yourself.
That is good news. How much of a price tag does the EBCM usually run?
Part number?

[Modified by RskyBns, 8:07 PM 10/28/2003]

[Modified by RskyBns, 8:07 PM 10/28/2003]
Old 10-29-2003, 05:07 PM
TNied
Racer

Have you replaced your battery rencently?? I had the same problem about two months before I replaced my battery and then it started throwing thoughs codes more frequently after I changed it. Took it to the dealer and he said it was showing the codes because the battery was low and then again because I changed it. I would look into that before you spend some big $$$
Just my two cents. :cheers:
Old 10-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Re: (TNied)

My turn signals don't always work so I pust the hazard on then the signal and then take the hazard off and the signal stays on sometimes. A few months back I got the same warnings and it pissed me off... finally I figured out that I have a glitch so when I push on the hazard switch it throws these codes... I can make it happen at will. Not sure of the codes, but I just clear them and go on about my business
Old 10-29-2003, 10:47 PM
99C5ragtop
Pro

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS -

I had the very same issue back in June....believe it or not the pellet on the key was dirty...I have cleaned with an alcohol swab and no probs since. Maybe it wasn't that but it went from happening everytime I started the car for 5 days to zero since I cleaned the key. For what it's worth....
Old 10-30-2003, 12:37 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS - (99C5ragtop)

I had the very same issue back in June....believe it or not the pellet on the key was dirty...I have cleaned with an alcohol swab and no probs since. Maybe it wasn't that but it went from happening everytime I started the car for 5 days to zero since I cleaned the key. For what it's worth....
:confused: Well...that's interesting....and wierd to say the least. Thanks for the input though. I just dropped the car off at the dealer....so...lets see what they decide to do. The service advisor was kinda in shock when I started rambling off the code it's meaning and it's solutions. :D He thought I had a scanner and who knows...maybe a "secret shopper" for chevy. Anyways....we'll see how they resolve this issue.

Andrew
Old 10-30-2003, 03:12 PM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 -

:mad :cuss :banghead: :mad :cuss :banghead: Well....the friggin' dealer just called and said they can't find anything wrong....yea, they found the code as a history code....but they can't fix anything because they can't get it to happen....of course all the lights and messages were going off for the last three days. but this morning...it didn't happen..... :banghead: So they arn't doing anything....oh yea...they can't even get teh passenger seat to rock either :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Have I mentioned I hate dealers yet?
Old 10-30-2003, 03:51 PM
BlkThunder
Instructor

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - (RskyBns)

at least they didn't leave swirl marks on your car :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cuss
Old 10-30-2003, 08:24 PM
Snake Slayer
Melting Slicks

Received 513 Likes on 193 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (BlkThunder)

Just had my EBCM replace for the same condition. Thank God car is still under warranty....parts alone were 935.00 :eek:

Get notified of new replies

To Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - Problem is intermittent

Old 10-30-2003, 08:39 PM
bowtiebandit
Drifting

They could have thrown parts at it and missed the mark. I know it sucks but at least they didn't try and sell you something that may not have repaired it.

As much as everyone hates dealers it sounds like they did what they should have. History codes are a pain even though you know there is a problem if it isn't acting up or current you diagnosis will lead you down the wrong path.
As you see in your thread alone there have been many reasons for this code.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:02 PM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: (Rippied Z06)

Same code on my car a couple of months ago. It was the abs module and I was out of warranty. Costs between $600 and $900 (part only) depending on if you pay retail or buy from GMpartsdirect.com. Mine started off intermitently too but then became permanent. ABS light eventually stayed on and ABS did not work at all.
:iagree: Had same problem just after I bought mine six mos. ago. Connector went out right after the module. It came to the point that it was acting up on turns and I had to shut it off. Good Luck! :seeya
Old 10-31-2003, 01:05 AM
RskyBns
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (bowtiebandit)

bowtie.....thanks for the insight....The only thing I can think is that maybe there is a loose connection somewhere around the solenoid/EBCM :confused: Maybe they indirectly ended up fixing it when they checked it out? They ran it through the diagnostics computer....passed. I dont know...by the way...where is the EBCM on the car?

With my luck it will go on again tomorrow and go off before I can get to the dealer again.

Quick Reply: Service ABS, Active Handling, TCS (have code), Code TCS C1214 - Problem is intermittent