C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 06:48 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help!

I had installed today the Halltech Tunnel Ram Cold Air Intake, I had them do a relearn , and at first when I accelerated on the freeway I got alot of pinging like marbles in a can. I drove some more with the air conditioning off and I think it went away. After about 40 miles of driving today I got in the car and the check engine light came on , I drove it home about 25 miles away and all the gages, water ,oil etc ..all look good. The engine temp. ran between 196-199 all day even with outside tempature at 95f . Does this have something to do with the air intake? Does the car need re programing? :eek:
Old 10-25-2003, 07:05 PM
SFVetteman
Drifting

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (TicketBait)

If the check engine light came on then you have a code. What does the DIC say the code is?
Old 10-25-2003, 08:35 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (TicketBait)

Installing an aftermarket air intake can make your check engine light come on.

[Modified by EB20003, 1:39 AM 10/26/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 08:41 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (SFVetteman)

Ok the codes that show are all History codes . No current codes listed.

I wrote them all down just in case, here goes :

10 PCM P0171 H =fuel trim system lean bank 1
P0174 H =fuel trim system lean bank 2

AO-LDCM U1064 H = loss of communication with BC

A1 RDCM B2203 H = right window up switch fault --Dealer fixed this about 3 months ago for me, and did all sorts of tests on the car

A6 SCM B2860 H = ?

BO RFA U1000 H + Loss of communication undetermined
U1064 H loss of communication

Could all of these loss of communication be caused by doing the re learn and if so would they be listed as history?

I currently have a malfunctioning turn signal lights that I am going to be taking the car in for on Monday I think there is a short in the steering wheel.

Should I clear these codes before I go in??

Old 10-25-2003, 08:46 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (EB20003)

EB20003, how do I re set the check engline light, or do I let the dealership do it. And should I do this after reading the above post.

I have 700 miles left under this warranty plan.
Old 10-25-2003, 10:24 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

TicketBait
If you have an air leak between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body you will lean out the engine BIG TIME!!! Go back and make sure that all of the connections for the rubber couplings are properly connected and the clamps are tight! After that I would clear the codes and take her for a ride.

Did you read the post on how to drad and clear codes. All you have to do is get into the manual diagnostic mode, bring up the code and press and hold the reset button.
Please get back to us if you have a problem with clearing the codes.

Bill Curlee
Old 10-26-2003, 05:52 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (Bill Curlee)

:iagree:

[qoute]10 PCM P0171 H =fuel trim system lean bank 1
P0174 H =fuel trim system lean bank 2[/quote]

Makes sense. That new intake could likely be the reason why you were lean. Probably worth it to have someone in the know look at and adjust your fuel trims if necessary, now that you are getting in more air and running lean. Of course, as above make sure you have everything hooked up right.

Do bear in mind Ticketbait that resetting or erasing the code does not necessarily solve the problem, only gets rid of the code. It could come back after a few miles or ignition cycles (restarts).

[Modified by EB20003, 1:14 AM 10/27/2003]

[Modified by EB20003, 3:53 AM 10/27/2003]
Old 10-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Ticket Bait,

I installed a VaraRam on my Z06 and on the first fairly long trip ~ 800 miles I had the check engine light come on during the second half of the trip. My engine was adding 20% more fuel at idle and during highway cruise. The engine has the ability to add up to 33% more or less fuel.

After my tuner cleared the code it has not come back on. We checked every joint for a leak and we did not find any. The engine runs fine, idles fine, and pulls great.

Good luck with your installation.

[Modified by Pumba, 7:02 PM 10/26/2003]
Old 10-27-2003, 12:05 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (Pumba)

I had a similar situation, after checking all the connection points, the unmetered air was from a crack in the aftermarket air bridge. I replaced the air bridge and cleared the codes. No further codes and the performance is much better. The popping you originally heard could have been detonation due to the ultra lean condition.
Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help! (Bill Curlee)

Bill Curlee , EB20003, and all the rest :D , Thank You for all your imput.

I took it back to the guys that installed it , and he did notice a possible leak on one of the fittings and so he revoved it and reinstalled and no check engine lghts so far after 30 miles of driving. I am so happy :)

By the way the car feels like it has so much more power right after they installed it yesterday, I cant wait to get it dynoed next Saturday :cheers:

Thanks again for all your Help Forum members!!
Old 10-27-2003, 03:04 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You must have installed something incorrectly. Bring it down to HB and we'll finish the install for you free.

You are the first I know of to get a code with the TRAP, but if air gets around the backside of the MAF, it will code. The only related codes are the 171 and 174 codes. Definately an air leak.

Call.

Jim Hall

[Modified by Jim Hall, 12:08 AM 10/27/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help!

Quick Reply: Can installing air intake cause check engine light to come on Help!