C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tip on Corvette Tire Balance

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Tip on Corvette Tire Balance

I suggest you read my posting in the C5 General Discussion area
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=663552

for the long versionl The short version is do not let someone try use the stick on (inside the wheel) weights. Use dynamic balance with real weights inside and outside of the wheel. My dealership even had Corvette designer weights that looked better than the old style weiths.

I now have four new Goodyear F1 EMT's that are balanced near perfect and ride great. The stick on weigts may look better but they don't really work on the Corvette wheel.

Dick
Old 10-08-2003, 09:04 PM
tpocock
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Dick Kriss)

Could you post a picture of the "designer" weights?
Old 10-08-2003, 09:18 PM
Traffic Hater
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (tpocock)

I 1,000,000,000,000 :iagree:
Old 10-08-2003, 09:21 PM
knkayotte
Melting Slicks

my stick ons work just fine. Helps if they balance them using the dual plain method. Most shops use single plain (only place weights on the inside of wheel).
Ironicly my problem with my old wheels was with the outside weights. When I got my new Chrome Z06 wheels, my friend who owns the tire shop and got me the wheels insisted I put on stick on weights. Car rides better then it ever has.

Later, Keith
Old 10-08-2003, 09:35 PM
RSVETTE
Pro

I have the stick on , and they work just fine.....
I don't like the the idea of someone hammering
on a rim weight on my chrome wheels. :nonod:
:cheers:
Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 PM
OldSStroker
Instructor

We used stickons with a new Snap-On balancer that had various choices for where the weights are placed. It even has you measure where the "outside" weight is. In our case right behind the spokes. The dynamic balance was great.

My $.02
Old 10-08-2003, 11:10 PM
FunDriver
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (OldSStroker)

I went from the "hammer on" type to the "stick on" type and have had no problem whatsoever with them and will continue to use them unless something comes up to change my mind.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:33 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you read my posting in the C5 General Discussion area
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=663552

for the long versionl The short version is do not let someone try use the stick on (inside the wheel) weights. Use dynamic balance with real weights inside and outside of the wheel. My dealership even had Corvette designer weights that looked better than the old style weiths.

I now have four new Goodyear F1 EMT's that are balanced near perfect and ride great. The stick on weigts may look better but they don't really work on the Corvette wheel.

Dick
I'm sorry but I'm not buying this at all. I have watched Tire Rack and others use the Hunter machine complete with a CRT that shows you exactly where to put the weight for true 3 dimensional balancing. The wider the wheel the more effective it is. It puts the weight right where it is the most effective.
I'm on my 4th set of tires and they all have been rock steady.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:22 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Richin Chicago)

I'm sorry but I'm not buying this at all. I have watched Tire Rack and others use the Hunter machine complete with a CRT that shows you exactly where to put the weight for true 3 dimensional balancing. The wider the wheel the more effective it is. It puts the weight right where it is the most effective.
:iagree:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:31 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Richin Chicago)

FYI, Discout Tire and the Chevy Dealership both use the same expensive Hunter machine with the CRT display. The Service Manager at the dealership indicated this has come up before and GM's position is to use weights on both sides of the rim.

The long strip (11 or 12) 1/4 oz stick on weights (suggested by the Hunter machine) looked like crap! The same tire and wheel balanced perfect with only a small designer weight showing on the outside.

BTW, the Corvette 'desinger' weights are no big deal. They just have some paint or finish added to try to match the wheel.

I will never let anyone use the pasties on my car!
Old 10-09-2003, 02:18 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks Dick; I agree with you. Good balance is much more important that some cosmetic concern. :smash:
Old 10-09-2003, 02:29 PM
Mitch Alsup
Racer

I use stick on weights, but cover the weeight with aluminum tape to prevent the weight from getting lost or moving.
Old 10-09-2003, 02:45 PM
Richin Chicago
Safety Car

FYI, Discout Tire and the Chevy Dealership both use the same expensive Hunter machine with the CRT display. The Service Manager at the dealership indicated this has come up before and GM's position is to use weights on both sides of the rim.

The long strip (11 or 12) 1/4 oz stick on weights (suggested by the Hunter machine) looked like crap! The same tire and wheel balanced perfect with only a small designer weight showing on the outside.

BTW, the Corvette 'desinger' weights are no big deal. They just have some paint or finish added to try to match the wheel.

I will never let anyone use the pasties on my car!
Have to disagree again and I never said anything about "designer weights" if somebody knows what they are doing with the Hunter they can get put just the right weight in the right spot. It may be in the center of the rim and it may be way out on the sides. But it isn't always way out on the sides. 3 dimensional balancing is close to magic if it is done correctly.
I think somebody blew the 3 dimensional.

Old 10-09-2003, 02:47 PM
TheBigGuy
Racer

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Mitch Alsup)

Poor Mr. Dick Kriss, has to be out of the picture to waste his hard earned $ on the G.Y. Run Craps I have Michelin's mounted on N73 mag's and they are balanced with the flat weights on the inside of the wheel. There is no reason not to use this method of balancing. Mine now have 16,000 miles on them and they are posing ABSOLUTELY no problem in any way. If you think you have a good ride with G.Y., try any other brand and you will find out how poorly the G.Y.'s actually are. :confused: :chevy :flag
Old 10-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Yellow2K4)

:iagree:
:iagree: with the agreers
I suggest you re-think anything that the dealer tells you...
Ive never had a problem with stick on weights in the last 20 years... if they zero out on a duel plane balancer after the wieghts are on then the tire and wheel is balanced... :party:
Old 10-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Cajun99
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (FunDriver)

I went from the "hammer on" type to the "stick on" type and have had no problem whatsoever with them and will continue to use them unless something comes up to change my mind.
:withstupid: Yeah, same here. :yesnod: :flag
Old 10-10-2003, 12:32 AM
FO SHIZZLE
Instructor

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Cajun75)

With magnesium wheels there is no choice :nono:

Get notified of new replies

To Tip on Corvette Tire Balance

Old 10-10-2003, 12:53 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Now wait a minute!! I balanced my ZO6 tires myself using stick on weights mounted in the center of the rim and the balance quality of the center mounted STICK ON weights was EQUAL to the origional GM balance. I have run it up to 140 and had NO balance problems!
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I guess quality of the balance job is what the person doing the balance job puts into it!
Stick on weights ALL the way around!!! :hurray: :thumbs:

BC
Old 10-10-2003, 06:50 AM
Arkay
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance (Bill Curlee)

If center of the rim weight are okay, why does GM use the hammer edge of rim weights on new C5's?
Old 10-10-2003, 07:14 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 647 Likes on 388 Posts

I have stick on weights on my wheels and I have no problem with tire balance.

Quick Reply: Tip on Corvette Tire Balance