C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (similar price - performance difference?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (similar price - performance difference?)

I've been on a heavy mod kick since buying my '04 C5! I haven't been able to stop myself from getting all the typical go-fast bolt-ons (Borla Stingers, Magnaflow X-pipe, Blackwing, NGK Iridiums, MSG 8.5mm wires, Hypertech 180 thermostat with fan controller, High Flow Air Duct, and ...... ) :) Is there a cure for this? or does it just get worse?

As you can tell by my recent Poll regarding short shifters that will be my next mod (tough choice between the Hurst and B&M at this point). :hurray:

Now I'm looking at long tube headers. The FLP and LGM both appear to be excellent choices at basically the same price. Is there a real difference between the two in terms of quality and performance?

For those that have the long tube headers - which do you prefer and why - or is there yet another viable option worth consideration?

Thanks! Mike :steering:
Old 10-02-2003, 01:34 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (AlohaC5)

I'll post a photo so you can see what you are voting for.
Full stainless steel from engine to cat back mufflers. Full 3" system with 3" X pipe, and race style Merge collectors. 32" primaries for maximum power under the curve, and best torque.

$1595 for the system shown. Also available with Random Metal Matrix cats.

"Nothing better, only different".

Thanks

Lou G

Old 10-02-2003, 02:08 AM
NJVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (LG Motorsports)

After seeing FLP's horrible quality firsthand, and the poor customer service they provided me I have to say go with the LG setup over the FLP :yesnod: My FLPs fell apart, I think if LG's headers had a problem we would have all heard about it by now. I found out firsthand that FLP = Finish Last Performance :lol: Personally I'd go with TPIS for half the price, but to each their own :cheers:

[Modified by NJVetteGuy, 2:21 AM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 02:17 AM
MC TORCH RED
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (NJVetteGuy)

that's a lot of cheese for poor headers......... :cuss
Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 AM
F8LPONY
Racer

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (MC TORCH RED)

Maybe they are alot different in Vette's but on my T/A the FLPs worked great and I never had one issues with them. As for customer service, Chuck has helped me out a ton with my tranny woes after another company failed to deliver a quality product.

Not bashing anyone, just stating my experience with FLP :)
Old 10-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (F8LPONY)

I read in the ZO6vette.com forum that Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) Headers/Performance Manifold are another excellent option worth consideration. Anyone with DRMs?
http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/exhaus...0C5%20Corvette

Once the LT headers are installed do I need to do anything to the computer or can I leave it alone. I prefer not to change the setting (LS-1 Edit) the computer if possible, but heard that the air/fuel mixture may require adjusting based on this mod with RT cats, x-pipe and performance cat-back exhaust. Is this true?

Mike
Old 10-02-2003, 06:53 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

w/o any emperical data (everyone has an opinion) I purchased FLP's. Of course I paid a lot less than $1595 and that was MY main decision factor. Yours could be different.

Buy what YOU want and poll's be dammed. Now that's a novel idea.

Tom
Old 10-02-2003, 07:29 AM
C54FUN
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'08-'10

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (AFVETTE)

:iagree: I have FLPs at a lot less cost than $1595 and have had no problems with them in 6000 miles. Choices are what it is all about; good luck with yours.
Joe :chevy

[Modified by C54FUN, 6:30 AM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 07:32 AM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (NJVetteGuy)

After seeing FLP's horrible quality firsthand, and the poor customer service they provided me I have to say go with the LG setup over the FLP :yesnod: My FLPs fell apart, I think if LG's headers had a problem we would have all heard about it by now. I found out firsthand that FLP = Finish Last Performance :lol:

[Modified by NJVetteGuy, 2:21 AM 10/2/2003]
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

[Modified by SideStep, 12:35 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:31 AM
C5 StockSwap
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I got my FLP's on a GP this year for $1430, and keep in mind that the price includes the X-pipe, high flow cats, and off-road pipes. Been on for a few thousand miles now and no issues whatsoever.

On the other hand, Lou just has the best design IMHO, and you can't go wrong with his setup. Keep in mind that his custom headers give you the same options as the FLP's do, but for much more than his Borla-produced model.

You have good options...Headers are a great addition!

[Modified by C5 StockSwap, 1:00 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:38 AM
BigLew
Burning Brakes

I bought from Lou. Love the fit and finish the sound and the great midrange boost in power. They are a great choice!! :auto: :D
Old 10-02-2003, 09:47 AM
EVIL
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

i can't speak for the flp's but i've seen and heard the lg's and they're some bad mama jamas.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:19 PM
MTV
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (EVIL)

Hawai'i = High Humidity = corrosive environment. I would go Stainless Steel all the way. LGMs are Stainless and my primay reason for selecting them. Power is equal to or better than all others. :thumbs:
Old 10-02-2003, 01:40 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

IMHO the LGM's are far superior for several reason. First, the entire system is stainless steel, and the FLP's are not. Second, the LGM's have 32" primary tubes which really help with low end torque, and the FLP's do not. Third, the LGM's have merge collectors that function as velocity stacks to increase the exhaust flow velocity, and the FLP's do not. And finally, the FLP's have had quality control and defect issues in the past, and the LGM's have not. Needless to say, after doing my research I went with the LGM's. With just the LGM's and a dyno tune I went from a 13.4 @ 107mph to a 12.7 @ 114.5mph, so I can attest to the increase in torque and power. I also picked up 25hp on the dyno. Good luck in your quest for headers...and by the way, the mod addiction will only get worse :lol:
Old 10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
jmX
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (Craig2000)

I've been around LS1's for 4 years now, I've had 4 different header setups over the time, and right now I have FLP's. They aren't bad, but I thik the LG's are better (I've installed a set of those too). I was mostly just annoyed that my tabs broke off my FLP's, but I do scrape the ground a bit from time to time so that may be why the tabs broke.

Keep in mind that at the same price, the FLP's come with cats whereas the LG's dont, but LG can sell you some bad butt cats for a bit more. I'm waiting to see some offroad to "matrix" cat dynos before I make up my mind about the setup.

In the end, you get what you pay for, and both setups are worth every dollar.
Old 10-02-2003, 03:06 PM
SvenOdin
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (jmX)

I had FLP's on my C5 for about 7 months. Fit and finish was good, performance gains was good, and so was the sound. Only issue I had was that the V-clamps occassionally scrapped my driveway.

I switched to LGM's Pro LT headers at the end of August, and they definately provide better performance gain under the curve. Fit and finish is excellent, and I have no problems with scrapping.
Old 10-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Izover4u
Drifting

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (LG Motorsports)

I have Corsa Indys and want to add the LG Long tubes.. but have a couple questions...

1. Will my car pass emissions?

2. How will it sound... Right now my car sounds really high pitched at WOT which i love... Really don't want to lose that sound...
:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (similar price - performance difference?)

Old 10-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (Craig2000)

:iagree: I gained 29rwhp from the Pro LG LT system & with tuning a total of 39.4rwhp & 42.8rwtq gained. Look at http://members.cardomain.com/magredc5 on page 2 for a PIC of Dyno sheet.

[Modified by Cary, 7:13 PM 10/2/2003]
Old 10-02-2003, 09:03 PM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (C5 StockSwap)

I got my FLP's for less than the 1600 (a lot less) but I would have to say that for near 2000 for the LG's, I would have gone with them. At the time they were a lot more 2200 + cats/x-pipe....now for the few hundred difference the performance difference does warrant it. Just look at the dyno-difference. :skep:
Old 10-02-2003, 09:16 PM
Cary
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (SpinMonster)

"Full stainless steel from engine to cat back mufflers. Full 3" system with 3" X pipe, and race style Merge collectors. 32" primaries for maximum power under the curve, and best torque. $1595 for the system. Also available with Random Metal Matrix cats".

This was posted by Lou Gigliotti near the top of this thread.

- Cary

Quick Reply: Long Tube Headers: FLP vs. LGM (similar price - performance difference?)