C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 03:29 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices

I have the stock 2000 rims and I am not sure I want to get too wide without changing rims... but Traction is my number one priority. I occasionally go to the track for 1/4 mile runs.. No Autox...

I could just go cheap and get the Kumho Stock sizes, Or get a little better traction with the Z06 sized Rears

But the Goodyear D3's have an outrageous feedback on Tirerack. they are at the top of the list in every category. If their traction on a 275 is better than a Kumho 295 "AND" they offer better wear then they should be worth the additional $$

Also I am hoping since the Goodyears can be had from my local Goodyear dealer he may be able to match the price...

Do you think I could get the 4 D3's Installed with a 4 wheel Alignment for $1000?????

All pricing below is from Tirerack...

[Modified by chuckster, 3:30 PM 9/25/2003]

[Modified by chuckster, 3:36 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 03:35 PM
SvenOdin
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (chuckster)

The Kumho's are hard to pass up at that price.... If your 'vette is basically stock and you won't be doing any serious performance mods anytime soon, I would take the Kumho's :thumbs:
Old 09-25-2003, 04:52 PM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (SvenOdin)

I voted for the D3's because I've heard nothing but good things about them but I don't think you'll go wrong no matter which tire you pick on that list. :cheers:
Old 09-25-2003, 04:55 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a friend who went from Michelin Pilot Sports to Kumhos on his 400 rwhp Z06. I've driven his car many times with both sets of tires, and the Kumhos do not stick as well as the Pilots (he doesn't think that is true, but he's the one who saved the money on the Kumhos, not me). I have no experience with the new Goodyears, so I can't venture an opinion.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:14 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also I am hoping since the Goodyears can be had from my local Goodyear dealer he may be able to match the price...

Do you think I could get the 4 D3's Installed with a 4 wheel Alignment for $1000?????
I doubt it very much on both of the above points. My local GY dealer laughed at the TireRack price. So, I bought my D3s from tire rack. $872, shipped, and found a local installer, not GY, to M&B for $75. He did an excellent job. And that was w/o the 4-wheel alignment.

But, maybe, you've got a good relationship with your GY dealer.

From what I understand, the Kumhos won't last as long, mileage-wise, but you will have to assess the $/pmile cost, probably based on the UTQG rating. Either way, you'll probably like them over the EMTs. Just remember that these tires are NOT runflats.

Old 09-25-2003, 08:12 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (2KFRC5)

I doubt it very much on both of the above points. My local GY dealer laughed at the TireRack price. So, I bought my D3s from tire rack. $872, shipped, and found a local installer, not GY, to M&B for $75. He did an excellent job. And that was w/o the 4-wheel alignment.

But, maybe, you've got a good relationship with your GY dealer.

From what I understand, the Kumhos won't last as long, mileage-wise, but you will have to assess the $/pmile cost, probably based on the UTQG rating. Either way, you'll probably like them over the EMTs. Just remember that these tires are NOT runflats.
I'm confused...Why would Tirerack have better prices than a store "OWNED" by the manufacturer??
Old 09-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

A tire store I don't think is even a franchise. They are "authorized dealers", and that's it....Which basically means they are entitled to hang the Goodyear sign everywhere on their building.
Each store is an independant business and can set pricing as they see fit. They are not "owned" by Goodyear, and most likely have no franchise-type pricing structure to follow.

:cheers:
Old 09-25-2003, 08:25 PM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

I put my GS D3s on yesterday. With a 4 wheel alignment and mounting it ran me $1027. The drop in noise compared to the runflats is very noticeable. The handling feels crisp and responds with less effort. :steering: The price difference between these and the Kuhmos was about $250 shipped. I have not run a set of Kuhmos but I am happy with the GS D3s. From what I have read here on the forum Kuhmos have a very short life span....

Good luck,

[Modified by SideStep, 8:31 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 08:27 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GY doesn't own my local GY store(aka: Gemini), it's a franchise. Just like GM doesn't own your local Chevy dealer.
The biggest cost reduction is probably volume of sales and lower overhead compare to sales.
[Modified by 2KFRC5, 5:28 PM 9/25/2003]

I stand corrected. I believe Y2Kvert4me is correct. It's an authorized dealer.

[Modified by 2KFRC5, 5:35 PM 9/25/2003]
Old 09-25-2003, 08:40 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (SideStep)

I put my GS D3s on yesterday. With a 4 wheel alignment and mounting it ran me $1027. The drop in noise compared to the runflats is very noticeable. The handling feels crisp and responds with less effort. :steering: The price difference between these and the Kuhmos was about $250 shipped. I have not run a set of Kuhmos but I am happy with the GS D3s. From what I have read here on the forum Kuhmos have a very short life span....

Good luck,

[Modified by SideStep, 8:31 PM 9/25/2003]
Wow!! $1027 for the whole thing...That is exactly what I am looking for... What do you think of the D3's?? Who did the install? Did you get the tires from Tirerack?
Old 09-25-2003, 08:55 PM
SideStep
Melting Slicks

Wow!! $1027 for the whole thing...That is exactly what I am looking for... What do you think of the D3's?? Who did the install? Did you get the tires from Tirerack?
chuckster,

I push the car pretty hard in the corners and I am very satisfied with how light and responsive they feel. I have not had them in the rain yet... a world of difference from than the run-flats. In general the SOTP is that the car "feels" lighter. I bought them from TireRack and had the local Gemini Goodyear dealer do the install.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:11 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (SideStep)

chuckster,

I push the car pretty hard in the corners and I am very satisfied with how light and responsive they feel. I have not had them in the rain yet... a world of difference from than the run-flats. In general the SOTP is that the car "feels" lighter. I bought them from TireRack and had the local Gemini Goodyear dealer do the install.

These may end up being the winner.... I will most likely have my local Gemini shop do it too.. They are on the Tirerack installer list. Also they have the runflat machine to get those old "Flintstone" Tires off.... ;)

They also have a sweet tread design compared to the Kumho.. I saw somebody refer to the sidewall design on the Kumho to the opening of "Patridge Family" :lolg:

:lolg:
Old 09-25-2003, 11:05 PM
Monster231
Safety Car

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (SvenOdin)

Go with the Kumho in regular sizes , you wont regret it
Old 09-26-2003, 12:00 AM
aaaaa
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (Monster231)

Is the D3 new? I just ordered F1 GS's in 255 and 295 sizes for about $200 each. Did I make a mistake?
Old 09-26-2003, 02:00 AM
Midwayman
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts

Ive had kumho MX tires before (on a different car) and I have nothing but good things to say about them. Same thing with all my friends who bought them. (again on different cars)
Old 09-26-2003, 09:45 AM
runamuk
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (aaaaa)

Is the D3 new? I just ordered F1 GS's in 255 and 295 sizes for about $200 each. Did I make a mistake?
No mistake, the D3's are fairly new, just keep them in mind the next time you need tires
Old 09-26-2003, 09:59 AM
TXSTICK
Melting Slicks

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (runamuk)

I had Discount Tire put on Nitto 555's all around for $747.00 out the door.
The ride is great and traction is very good. :)

Get notified of new replies

To Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices

Old 09-26-2003, 10:57 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin pilots!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:05 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

Default Re: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices (TXSTICK)

I have the MX's and I autocross and drive the car hard. So far so good, quieter than EMT's. Hook decent even on WOT 1-2 shifts. I went to K-Mart and spent $20 on a little compressor and tire patch kit I keep in the storage bin.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:40 PM
dlang
Advanced

I Have Kumho mx in z06 sizes with z06 rims great traction and great in the rain.My wife has the goodyears I do not believe they handle as good as the Kumho mx. also I do not feel that the Goodyears have quite as much traction as the MX. Also look on the Z06 Forum there is alot of track guys that use the new Kumho mx tires with good reviews.

Quick Reply: Buying new Tires Need help with 3 choices