C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 12:30 PM
Karl_in_Chicago
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Dope)

I do it the caveman way.

I put the socket on a decent sized 1/2" ratchet (no breaker bar). Then I hit the ratchet with a brick or a nearby decent sized rocket.
A nearby decent sized rocket? LOL, what kind of armory do you have? :lol:
Old 09-12-2003, 12:42 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? ($$$frumnuttin')

Your arms, esp. with the awkward location of the bolt, cannot get the leverage to take it out. Use your legs, 4 big muscle groups is better than your arms that has 2.

Here's what you should do:

1. Get a 2 foot breaker bar. Spray anti seize/WD40 on the offending bolt.
2. Seat it into the bolt snugly with the lever pointing straight down.
3. Depending on what wheel, orient yourself so that you can "leg press" the bolt out. For example, if youre gonna take off the driver's side rear wheel, sit behind the car, facing toward the the front and apply pressure using your legs to the breaker bar towards the front. You will loosen the nut, I guarantee.

I used this technique to install my cross-drilled rotors coz my impact wrench with a 5HP compressor cannot get it loose. Hopefully your rotors arent rusted and stuck to the hub coz that took me more time than removing the brackets.

Goodluck, and cheers! youre saving approx $250 by doing it yourself. :cheers:
Old 09-12-2003, 12:58 PM
Dylan Savage
Racer

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (c5chris)

Guys! This is way easier than you think!

TURN THE WHEEL. Then you can put on a 3ft breaker bar and lift it (or press down on it if you're on the drivers side) and break these off easily. My compressor and 1/2" impact didn't budge these.. must use breaker bar! TURN THE FREAKING WHEEL! :)

Old 09-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03
Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Dylan Savage)

TURN THE WHEEL.
I think we all know the front wheel calipers are easy to get to. The original post stated he could not loosen the REAR caliper bolts. These are the tough ones due to the confined area and since YOU CAN'T TURN THE WHEEL.

:cheers:
Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Dylan Savage)

TURN THE WHEEL. Then you can put on a 3ft breaker bar and lift it (or press down on it if you're on the drivers side) and break these off easily. My compressor and 1/2" impact didn't budge these.. must use breaker bar! TURN THE FREAKING WHEEL! :)
Correct!! Give that man a cigar..
This is exactly how I did my fronts.. Also he is right about a breaker bar... I rented a huge electric impact gun and did nothing but make a lot of racket!! I had to close the garage door to be king to my neighbors...Anyway after an hour.. NFG...

Went to Home depot spent $20 bucks on the swivel head breaker bar...boom...done...
Old 09-12-2003, 02:43 PM
Dylan Savage
Racer

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Y2Kvert4me)

Yea uhh.. what I meant was.. just in case you're ever doing the fronts, this is how you can do it. :) :leaving:
Old 09-12-2003, 02:47 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,813 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Yea uhh.. what I meant was.. just in case you're ever doing the fronts, this is how you can do it. :) :leaving:
Smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooth :smash:
Old 09-12-2003, 06:41 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (chuckster)

Thanks guys for additional ideas, and yes, I love the humor mixed in! :D Chuckster, I just picked up the swivel-headed monster at HD..it is now $30..but I needed one anyway, right? I'm going to jack this baby up on all 4s this weekend and rip through this install in no time flat! :jester I believe I can remove the caliper assembly as a unit..correct? That is what I saw in the Wilwood techtip last week. But I'm wondering how you can relieve the pressure from the pistons/pads without disassembling the calipers. :confused: Or maybe they just slide off anyway...anyone try this before? :cheers:
Old 09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
c5chris
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? ($$$frumnuttin')

The caliper assembly slides out after you take out the 2 bolts behind it. To install it, slide it on the pads and bolt in. No need to compress the pistons. :thumbs:
Old 09-12-2003, 07:03 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (c5chris)

Chris, thanks....that is good news and should save me some time on the rears I already completed. :cheers:
Old 09-12-2003, 07:13 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (chuckster)

I rented a huge electric impact gun and did nothing but make a lot of racket!!
You must not have been swearing properly. :D
Old 09-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Karl_in_Chicago)

I do it the caveman way.

I put the socket on a decent sized 1/2" ratchet (no breaker bar). Then I hit the ratchet with a brick or a nearby decent sized rocket.

A nearby decent sized rocket? LOL, what kind of armory do you have? :lol:
Hehe, the rocket works great, it breaks it loose everytime. Not much left of the car afterwards but at least the bolt is loose! :)

Dope
Old 09-12-2003, 09:14 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys for additional ideas, and yes, I love the humor mixed in! :D Chuckster, I just picked up the swivel-headed monster at HD..it is now $30..but I needed one anyway, right? I'm going to jack this baby up on all 4s this weekend and rip through this install in no time flat! :jester I believe I can remove the caliper assembly as a unit..correct? That is what I saw in the Wilwood techtip last week. But I'm wondering how you can relieve the pressure from the pistons/pads without disassembling the calipers. :confused: Or maybe they just slide off anyway...anyone try this before? :cheers:
It's a nice wrench for $30... Yep I had my car on 4 jackstands when I did the job.. You will be surprised how easily this wrench does the job. :smash: The Swivel head makes it a cinch ;)
Old 09-12-2003, 09:20 PM
SHOWTIME!
Safety Car

two words : Air Tools :thumbs:
Old 09-12-2003, 09:25 PM
Still_Single
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I loosened mine by heating the bolts up a little bit with a heat gun ... I believe it loosened the loctite enough for my socket wrench to have enough leverage to do the rest of the job. It took about 2 to 3 minutes of heat to do the job. Be careful not to heat up the brake line!

Old 09-12-2003, 10:17 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Default Re: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way? (Still_Single)

Be careful not to heat up the brake line!

That's all I need :lol: And the fluid's probably flammable :D

Quick Reply: Could not loosen caliper mounting bracket...what is best way?