C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 07:37 AM
cgh1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure?

With all of the bitching and griping about Corvette parking brakes, I'd like to know how many people are just chipping in to the collective gripe and who has acutally had a problem/issue/failure.

I recently suffered damage to the nose of my '01 Coupe due to total failure of the parking brake.

If you have suffered the same or found your car somewhere other than where you, or someone else (valet, wife, friend, etc.) parked it, please respond as I am taking a poll (sort of) to see if this is a real issue or just a few occurances that garner a really loud squeak of the wheel.

Think about it this way - If I were to start a petition to have GM change the design or issuse a TSB, or something, could you sign it from experience? If not then please don't respond. I am seeking experiences not general argument.

Many thanks!!

[Modified by cgh1, 7:40 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (cgh1)

I have owned my 99 coupe for more than four years, I have no idea if the parking brake works or not. I've never tried it.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:14 AM
te51cle
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine became much weaker after the garage serviced it so I always leave it in gear now. It gently rolled into a wall once before I discovered the problem, the only damage was a small amount of scratching on my clear registration plate cover.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:02 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (te51cle)

Check the archives for fixes. Once the system is understood it can be made to work; I let the dealer look at it and they didn't fix it so I did.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 AM
DsC5
Race Director

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (Fast one)

Mine has never "failed" - but it never worked correctly on either of my C5s. I never have to park on anything much more than a 10 degree angle, so my brake works just well enough. :rolleyes:
Old 08-28-2003, 10:48 AM
willi
Pro

How many times has the car rolled when getting in an pushing in the clutch with the parking break set? Mine's about 50/50. I never rely on the parking break.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:25 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (willi)

All C5's have the problems one time or another, mine has never worked like it should.

[Modified by wallstAL, 8:26 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Mehfoud
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2000 FRC has a weak parking break, I always leave it in gear. I am going to check the archives for a fix to the problem. I would never park my car on a hill for this reason alone. Dealer said it was fine, but it isn't!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 AM
racetchr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parking brake is not much more than a place to rest your hand, for all the good it does. There is a fix, but it involves pulling the rear wheel assembly.
Mine rolled down (or should I say ACROSS ) a very slight grade out of the driveway and into the woods about 150ft away. Nothing like seeing the rear tail lights sticking out of the trees! Fortunately no damage other than pushing in the nose piece after a small pine stopped it. Had to have a tow truck pull it out. I dont park on anything but a level surface now.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:52 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

The parking brake on my 98 doesn't work very well (even after adjustment). I have no confidence in using the parking brake to park on a hill or to slow the car in an emergency situation.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:26 PM
Rair67
Drifting

My 98 parking brake only works if you pull the em brake handle hard to the left when setting it. If you pull it straight back, it feels like it set but isn't

Anyone else have this type of problem and know of a fix??

Old 08-28-2003, 12:37 PM
IJustSmile
Pro

My parking brake is a POS, I have to pull it hard and even then it barely holds. I wouldn't trust it on a hill or in an emergency.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:46 PM
Racer

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (IJustSmile)

My Parking Brake has never been able to hold my car on any kind of incline. I always leave it in gear (reverse). Isn't this some kind of safely issue, why can't we get the general to isuue a recall on this.

You are asking the wrong question, You should ask to see if anyone's parking brake actually worked from the factory?

Luis
Old 08-28-2003, 01:05 PM
FNC80
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (newbie)

This past Monday, my parking brake failed, but I caught it before doing any damage to the nose. I called my service advisor and he said it wasn't covered under warranty. I asked him what he could do for me, and he said to bring it in on Tuesday morning.

One hour after bringing it in, I had a work order in hand showing they'd R&R rear rotors, re-install park shoes, trim lips off rotors and adjust. It now holds hard when the brake lever is in the half way position.

[Modified by FNC80, 10:06 AM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 01:21 PM
T. Hammer
Intermediate

The PB on my 2000 FRC only works on very flat ground. I have to be very careful where I park.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:23 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

There is a quality check missing on the line for the ebrake. People with MN6 trans should adjust or have their ebrake adjusted... People with A4 trans are not at risk....I can stop my car doing 30 miles an hour with only my ebrake... The fix is not that difficult.. Most dealers will try to hit a home run with you like they did with me...WE know more about our cars than most dealers do... I had less than 1000 miles on my car when I took it in for the ebrake. They told me that brakes are not covered under warranty... anyway.. I went home and fixed it myself... The adjuster was out 40 clicks... the ebrake handle use to go all the up at 90 degrees and still wouldn't hold... MY ebrake lever stops at 30 degrees now and can stop me on a dime.. when the ebrake handle is at 20 degrees the ebrake is fully disengaged. then it travel down to 0 degrees. If anyone needs any help with this issue IM me...

I have added a poll on this subject in this forum .. I tried to add the poll to your thread here cghi but it wouldnt let me.. so the poll I added is in your name.. even though it says my name

[Modified by Evil-Twin, 1:07 PM 8/28/2003]
Old 08-28-2003, 02:38 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Not me!

Get notified of new replies

To How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure?

Old 08-28-2003, 04:23 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

My parking brake on my 98 never worked worth a darn since new, finally it quite working completely. The dealer replaced the rear rotors and shoes and the complete mechanism in the interior. There is nothing high tech about designing a parking brake, how can a engineer screw up something so simple? Is it true that one can get a job as an engineer at GM with just a eighth grade education and a note from your mother?
Old 08-28-2003, 05:25 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (JoesC5)

My parking brake on my 98 never worked worth a darn since new, finally it quite working completely. The dealer replaced the rear rotors and shoes and the complete mechanism in the interior. There is nothing high tech about designing a parking brake, how can a engineer screw up something so simple? Is it true that one can get a job as an engineer at GM with just a eighth grade education and a note from your mother?
Did ypou pay for this service??????
they tried to charge me....
why did they replace what was there.... all it needed was to be adjusted.... the dealer didnt change the design .... and that design has been around 30 years... it isnt a new ebrake design.... the shoes should never wear out because the car is stopped when the ebrake is applied..the problem is at the factory and its a quality control check issue there... for proper clearance between the shoes and drum
Old 08-28-2003, 05:32 PM
The Yav
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure? (Evil-Twin)

00vert parking brake release **** came off in my hand. Replaced under warranty.
v/r
THEYAV :chevy

Quick Reply: How Many of you Have Suffered Parking Brake Failure?