C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 03:10 PM
E-Man
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences?

It seems as through my car is leaking transmission fluid (a slow drip) - its a 2000 with only 13,500 miles! I assume it is transmission fluid since it is coming from the rear of the car - I don't think that there is anything else back there. I am not sure how long I have had it. Just noticed some fluid on the garage floor. Anyway, has anyone else here had similar problems and if so what was the cause. I am glad I have the extended warrenty. The dealership cannot look at it until Friday. I might want to top it off with fluid before I head out to the dealer (do I just undo the nut and put in more fluid?)

Ed
Old 08-25-2003, 04:54 PM
SDVette
Safety Car

Received 1,295 Likes on 560 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C1 of Year Finalist (stock)
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences? (E-Man)

What color is the fluid?

If red, it's ATF from the transmission (yes, they run ATF in the manual)
If greenish/black, it's differential lube

Lots of guys have had differential leaks. A growing number (myself included) are having transmission fluid leaks.

To check/fill either, make sure the car is level and remove fill plug. Fluid should be right at the filler plug. You'll need to lift the car to fit, and you'll need a way to get the fluid into the openeings (not as easy as you'd think - I used a gear-oil pump)

Good luck,

[Modified by SDVette, 1:56 PM 8/25/2003]
Old 08-25-2003, 09:50 PM
Xssesive
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences? (SDVette)

If it were me I would crawl under the back and take a look see to find where the fluid is coming from. To add fluid the car has to be running and warmed up, the fluid level goes up when the car is off. I wouldn't sweat it too much, the C 5 is by far the easiest trans fluid/filter change I've ever done. :yesnod:
Old 08-25-2003, 10:55 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences? (Xssesive)

I have the dreaded tranny leak too. Not enough to puddle but the tranny is definately wet.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:27 PM
BLUTHUNDER
Drifting

It seems as through my car is leaking transmission fluid (a slow drip) - its a 2000 with only 13,500 miles! I assume it is transmission fluid since it is coming from the rear of the car - I don't think that there is anything else back there. I am not sure how long I have had it. Just noticed some fluid on the garage floor. Anyway, has anyone else here had similar problems and if so what was the cause. I am glad I have the extended warrenty. The dealership cannot look at it until Friday. I might want to top it off with fluid before I head out to the dealer (do I just undo the nut and put in more fluid?)

Ed
Ed , I just had the exact same problem..I dropped it off at my dealer and they replaced the rear trannie seal.
Fortunetly my GMPP warranty covered it because it was a 7 HR job :crazy:

Good Luck

:cheers:

Jeff
Old 08-25-2003, 11:38 PM
racetchr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '00 developed the dreaded leak at 500 mi. Rear seal. Dealer fixed and hasnt leaked since.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences?

Quick Reply: Leaking transmission fluid - any other experiences?