C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jacking up the C-5

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 04:05 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Jacking up the C-5

I'm taking my 1999 vert to a friends. (he is an excellent mechanic) do do an oil change and collant change.

He has a wheeled floor jack. Where can I find info on the lifting points for my vette. Dont want to damage anything.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:19 PM
gonbad
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (Yoggi)

For these two procedures you need to keep the car level to slightly nose down. To do this I would use Rhino Ramps on the front wheels. Just drive right on up. The using the floor jack you may need to remove the puck to get it under the rear crossmember. After removing the puck use a thin piece of wood 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick that can span the inner web of the cross member. You may have to lift up the rear of the car by hand to get a little extra clearance. Make sure you are not lifting with the swaybar. Then jack the car up to desired height. Use the jack stands and carefully lower the car. You can position the jack stands on the crossmember right where the lower control arm attaches to the rear suspension cradle. Do not put the jack stand on control arm or accidently on the swaybar.

[Modified by gonbad, 3:21 PM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-06-2003, 05:26 PM
edmaverik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 2 - 2"x10" that are 16" long and have 45 degree angles on the front and wedge them into the front wheels and drive onto them. This gives me the clearance to put my car jack on the center brace and jack the car up. Then I put 2 jackstands on the center brace of my vette, right where the circle is and lowed my car jack until the car is rested on the jack stands. Luckily my jack stands can fit into the circle area perfectly.

For the back, my jack slides perfectly under the car and I just raise it up and use my jack stands and let the jack stands support the vehicle at the circle areas on the rear center brace.

I used to use the piece of wood, but found the wood not necessary because no one sees the bottom of my car and I found the wood to be a pain to deal with, but that's me.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:33 PM
speedjohnson
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (edmaverik)

Just jack the thing from the front jack pad located at the front edge of the door. You can jack up the entire side from this one point. Put jack stands under the front and rear pads, then move to the other side and jack it up the same. Secure jack stands on this side too.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:59 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (speedjohnson)

Just jack the thing from the front jack pad located at the front edge of the door. You can jack up the entire side from this one point. Put jack stands under the front and rear pads, then move to the other side and jack it up the same. Secure jack stands on this side too.
Something like that!

with these!

[Modified by wallstAL, 3:02 PM 8/6/2003]
Old 08-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Yoggi
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (wallstAL)

Thanks for the info. Where do you get the pucks? How much are they?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 PM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Pucks are about a $1.50 at a sporting goods store, got the ***** from Home Depot about $3.50!
Old 08-07-2003, 10:59 PM
HOCKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (wallstAL)

Did mine for $3.00. Pucks were free since I teach hockey and the bolts were $3 and works great.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:04 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

If the car is not lowered, you can drive up on two 2x12's staggared and nailed together. This give enough clearance for the oil pan, and for you to reach underneath to remove the drain bolt and the oil filter. Again, if not lowered, a normal floor jack with a 1x4 mounted to the puck of the floor jack, will fit under the crossmember, allowing you to raise the rear end higher than the front.
Raise the rear end after the plug is pulled, and oil is flowing. DO NOT work under the car with just a floor jack, even if only the front end is lifted. If it should drop, the entire car will drop down a bit before leveling off.
I have changed my oil three times using this process, and it works. If you are lowered. you might required another 2x12.
Old 08-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Pat97Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Here's another alternative:

http://97vette.com/howto/liftpads/index.html
Old 08-12-2003, 03:55 PM
Don Lindeman
Racer

Default Re: Jacking up the C-5 (Pat97Vette)

The hockey puck and eyehook idea really works. I had to jack baby up a few months ago to remove some plastic fish netting from the RR axle. I just used one puck and a shorter length eye-hook. The jack I used wasn't low enough to get under the puck, so I drove the RR tire up onto a few layers of staggered plywood until it was high enough to get the jack under the puck. It worked great.

Get notified of new replies

To Jacking up the C-5

Quick Reply: Jacking up the C-5