C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Silver Bullet 99
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror

Came out at lunch yesterday and I wasn't even done backing out of my space and I noticed my mirror was shaking pretty bad. By the time I got down the street it started to swing out. Somone must have had to push in the side mirror with their hand since there wasn't a parking spot next to me. The matter has been reported to my security department and they do have cameras (what are the odds) but they are telling me that its a panning camera and the trees might block the view. Its almost like the spring inside the mirror broke. It won't come all the way up it stays pretty close to the stock location while driving but it just bothers me to no end as to why someone would do this!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I can always use a little liquid nail and that would fix it the "wrong" way. Here are a few pics! I just hope the camera will show the di*k who did this!

Old 07-19-2003, 02:46 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (Silver Bullet 98)

I'm about 90% sure you will simply have to replace the entire mirror, as the interior parts are basically molded into the housing.

Old 07-19-2003, 03:15 PM
jeanlucpicard
Burning Brakes

Some of the folks on the Forum have opted to drill / install a bolt through the mirror base (part that attaches to the door) and into the mirror itself. This method will eliminate the swivel capability but will save you the nearly $500 to install a new unit.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Saving41
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Came out at lunch yesterday and I wasn't even done backing out of my space and I noticed my mirror was shaking pretty bad. By the time I got down the street it started to swing out. Somone must have had to push in the side mirror with their hand since there wasn't a parking spot next to me. The matter has been reported to my security department and they do have cameras (what are the odds) but they are telling me that its a panning camera and the trees might block the view. Its almost like the spring inside the mirror broke. It won't come all the way up it stays pretty close to the stock location while driving but it just bothers me to no end as to why someone would do this!

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I can always use a little liquid nail and that would fix it the "wrong" way. Here are a few pics! I just hope the camera will show the di*k who did this!

There was a post here a little while ago that listed a guy that may be able to repair the mirror. Hope this helps.:cheers:

I just read this in my new Issue#150 NCRS DRIVELINE March-April. This Guy will repair "your" mirror with the "broken clip" syndrome. "A permanent repair, guaranteed NOT to break" Send the complete mirror w/wiring harness, with ck or money order for $60.00 inc. shipping and handling. He offers a two day turn around after the mirror is received. He even offers by phone, mirror removal & installation instructions, ph# 330-783-0083 ext.15, after 4:30 pm 330-757-9466. Name & address: E.H. Swaneck, 4030 Simon Road, Bordman, Ohio 44512. Other NCRS members can verify ad, page 66. Sounds like it would be worth a try.
:cool:

[Modified by Saving41, 3:21 PM 7/19/2003]
Old 07-20-2003, 06:51 AM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the same thing happend to me the clip let go nobody hit it it is gm's garbage design.
mitch
Old 07-20-2003, 09:50 AM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (MITCH)

I feel your pain.

My mirrors got broken about 5 times. I have a fix for that.
I finally just drilled and tap'd two holes inside the bracket and I never had a problem. The mirror housing will no longer swing, but the inner part of the mirror still worked.
Tim
Old 07-20-2003, 10:38 AM
Silver Bullet 99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (C54TIM)

C54TIM - I just might go this route if my security department doesn't see anything and their insurance won't pay a dime. I really have no need for the mirrors to tilt anyways (except for when backing into the garage...man these cars are wide!!).

What all is involved in just bolting the two pieces together?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2003, 10:40 AM
Silver Bullet 99
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (Saving41)

just read this in my new Issue#150 NCRS DRIVELINE March-April. This Guy will repair "your" mirror with the "broken clip" syndrome. "A permanent repair, guaranteed NOT to break" Send the complete mirror w/wiring harness, with ck or money order for $60.00 inc. shipping and handling. He offers a two day turn around after the mirror is received. He even offers by phone, mirror removal & installation instructions, ph# 330-783-0083 ext.15, after 4:30 pm 330-757-9466. Name & address: E.H. Swaneck, 4030 Simon Road, Bordman, Ohio 44512. Other NCRS members can verify ad, page 66. Sounds like it would be worth a try.

Saving41 - this is another idea as well - thanks for the great info!!
Old 07-20-2003, 11:40 AM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

That sounds like a good way to go. It's been my experience that the security cameras aren't very reliable.
I hate driving with out mirrors! The dealer took several weeks to get a new mirror, paint it, then try and re-calibrate it (Which they never got it right) I decided to repair it myself. I created a “How To” on MS Power Point. I think I still have it on my other computer if you need it.
It takes about an hour to remove the mirror drill two holes and tap them, and re-install it.
Hope things work out for you.
Tim
Old 07-20-2003, 11:59 AM
Silver Bullet 99
Burning Brakes

Tim,

If you have the powerpoint file - please email it my way please!

Sounds like the cheaper route as well.

Thanks,
Ron Gerlach
rgerlach@comcast.net
Old 07-20-2003, 08:02 PM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Ron,
After many hours, I was finally able to retrieve the file.
Best of luck to ya,
Tim
Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 PM
BayouVette
Drifting

I just read this in my new Issue#150 NCRS DRIVELINE March-April. This Guy will repair "your" mirror with the "broken clip" syndrome. "A permanent repair, guaranteed NOT to break" Send the complete mirror w/wiring harness, with ck or money order for $60.00 inc. shipping and handling. He offers a two day turn around after the mirror is received. He even offers by phone, mirror removal & installation instructions, ph# 330-783-0083 ext.15, after 4:30 pm 330-757-9466. Name & address: E.H. Swaneck, 4030 Simon Road, Bordman, Ohio 44512. Other NCRS members can verify ad, page 66. Sounds like it would be worth a try.

You should give this a try. Same thing happened to me. Ed sent me directions to take off the mirror and send it to him. $60 was a great deal and it is now better than factory and can still swivel even though I have never atempted this. I opted to go this route because I didn't want to drill any holes in my car. Ed is a machinist and know what he is doing. he can have it done and shipped in no time. Email me if you have any questions jaijason@hotmail.com
Old 07-21-2003, 12:59 PM
dahoof
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (BayouVette)

You should give this a try. Same thing happened to me. Ed sent me directions to take off the mirror and send it to him. $60 was a great deal and it is now better than factory and can still swivel even though I have never atempted this. I opted to go this route because I didn't want to drill any holes in my car. Ed is a machinist and know what he is doing. he can have it done and shipped in no time. Email me if you have any questions jaijason@hotmail.com

Ed is a great guy to deal with! I sent mine to him. And when I got it back it was better than new! :cheers:

[Modified by dahoof, 12:00 PM 7/21/2003]
Old 07-21-2003, 07:24 PM
vetteman21
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Silverbullet98, I have the same issue. Could you please send me that powerpoint as well if you get a chance? nate12680@hotmail.com I'd really appreciate it! :thumbs:
Old 07-22-2003, 08:53 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also feel your pain and anger. :banghead: :mad Hope your cameras catch the person responsible and hold them accountable. I have NO feeling for individuals that have NO respect for others property. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Sweet98
Instructor

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (DBRASUE)

Thats why I would rather park in the back of a parking lot near no-one and walk an extra few seconds than have that happen. You gotta remember kids getting in and out of cars and just ignorant people who will try to sqeeze into any space rather than park there minivan 5 feet further from the door. fat chicks are notorious for this in illionis :)
Old 07-22-2003, 12:34 PM
shotman
6th Gear

Default Re: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror (Sweet98)

The same thing happened to my mirror also. At first I thought someone hit it, but after looking at it real close there were no marks from being hit. After taking it apart I saw the clip had come off the post holding the spring on. I brought it to the dealer he removed the inner door panel and he made a special tool with a piece of threaded rod and 2 nuts. He used this to pull the clip over the spring and back onto the post. It cost me about $90.00, worth it
to not lose the swival feature
Old 07-28-2003, 06:05 PM
alexr
5th Gear

I got my car back from the body shop and noticed my right mirror swiveling freely like this.

The body shop claims this compression ring pops off all the time so much so that for their chain of dealerships they paint 2-5 replacement mirrors a week for just this problem. $500 each!

GM's Customer Assistance Center says that they'll look into issuing a TSB and providing a tool if they get enough complains of this problem. Please call (800) 222-1020 to register your complaint of this problem.

In the meantime, I called around and one local body shop says that they've fixed this problem before and it'll run me about $150. I'm gonna give them a shot at it.

Get notified of new replies

To Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror

Quick Reply: Mirror Issue - someone FU*K up my side mirror