C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automotive Lifts?

Old 07-17-2003, 10:32 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Automotive Lifts?

Who has one and how happy are you with yours? I am looking to pick one up and would like some advice on which one to buy or not to buy.

I found this one just buy price, which I know should not be the criteria for which one to buy. What do you guys think? http://www.americasprideonline.com/F...s%26ID%3D15000
Old 07-17-2003, 11:00 PM
SHOWTIME!
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (Rich's75)

I'd rather have a 2 post lift :yesnod:
Old 07-17-2003, 11:17 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (SHOWTIME!)

I recommend buying locally from a professional installer. It will remain safe and level, and they are there to help when things need adjusting. I have an Autolifters lift, and granted it is 6 years old, but it is junk! I get nervous every time I use it (almost every day!)
Old 07-17-2003, 11:27 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Rich, I have a lift, 2 post, made by Gemini of Ft. Worth (http://www.geminilift.com)

I just sent you some pics of it.

I prefer the two post variety because you can get at everything underneath the car easily, no ramps in the way.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:39 AM
partytommy
Instructor

I don't see what the capicity is. My brother just bought a single post lift with a 7000 lb capacity. Looks real cool with the single post. It cost about 3800. The two posts are cheaper though. I'd look around a little more, you can find some pretty good deals. :cheers:
Old 07-18-2003, 09:51 AM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (partytommy)

Occasionally, there are GP's on these things and you can save some pretty good bucks. Look at the other forums from time to time (LS1.com, etc.). I would not be w/o mine. I look at it as an investment. When I am through with mine, it will have lifted 1/1000 of the lifts as a used commercial one, so it should yield a pretty good used price. You rarely find them used from individuals, always a tire or auto shop one that has been up and down the road more times than what you want to know.

BTW, these are simple to install. I needed my two sons to lift the towers to the vertical position and then everything else was simple hand tools. I did have to rent a hammer drill to drill thru the concrete but that was <$30 from the rent place at Lowe's. You buy the hydraulic fluid from Auto Zone.

Us old Fa*ts really need this system after working on your back on the concrete a few days :eek: and then trying to get out of bed in the morning! No more of that for me!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:41 AM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (davidfarmer)

Dave, interesting comment about the Autolifters. What style/design is it ?
Old 07-18-2003, 10:54 AM
RonC
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (RWhite)

For those of you with lifts, was there any special consideration for the garage floor. I.E. thickness etc.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:01 AM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (RonC)

For those of you with lifts, was there any special consideration for the garage floor. I.E. thickness etc.
I made my thickness greater than 6 inches when I had my garage built. I did not feel comfortable with the standard 4 inches, although most manufactures say it is OK.

Also, if you are building a new garage where a lift may go, make your ceiling at least 10 ft. or higher if possible. For 'Vettes, it is not much of a problem, but raising a SUV or truck, you need more headroom :banghead: obviously.

[Modified by RWhite, 10:06 AM 7/18/2003]
Old 07-18-2003, 11:02 AM
Casselvette
Pro

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (RonC)

What's the minimum ceiling height for a four post with two Corvettes on it? I saw on one web site that it's the hieght of both vehicles plus 6". I think I'm a little low at 9ft 4 inches! :banghead:
Old 07-18-2003, 11:09 AM
DaveP
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (Casselvette)

I 2ns the idea of a local, professional installer. It was the same price as a truck dumping it at the end of the drive like most companies do, I would not have wanted to put it together. I have a 4 post gemini and it is nice, but not a true every day for 10 years commericial quality. Does fine though for me.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (DaveP)

I have a BendPak 2 post, and I love it :cheers:
http://automotivetools.com/cgi-local...html?E+scstore
Old 07-18-2003, 01:24 PM
RWhite
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (DaveP)

Dave, you would be surprised at how many "commercial" lift companies Gemini builds for under another companies name. They are quality built, at least my version is (GP-9F). I have seen some other brands in local speed shops around DFW and I would say the Gemini lifts are on the higher end of the "robustness" scale.

Although I was going to have Gemini (actually a subcontractor for them) install my lift, when I saw how easy it was, I am glad I did it myself and saved some bucks.

BTW. my lift requires 220 volts, single phase.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:28 PM
evil-one
Advanced

have an eagle two post clear floor and love it was very easy to install took less than 4hrs. only thing is when you put the vette on it you have to take off spin off pads and use jaking pucks with a piece of 1x3. LOVE MY LIFT :thumbs:
Old 07-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (evil-one)

only thing is when you put the vette on it you have to take off spin off pads and use jaking pucks with a piece of 1x3. LOVE MY LIFT :thumbs:
I have the "Rocker Rails" on my car and I lift on the lift arm without the pads. I use a piece of rubber in between so it don't slide around.
Works great:)
Old 07-18-2003, 03:54 PM
DaveP
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Automotive Lifts? (RWhite)

I got my Gemini for a bit over $2900 delivered and installed by a local outfit, going to get the caster setup for i can wheel it into my new garage when it is done.
Old 07-18-2003, 04:19 PM
jdetar
Burning Brakes

I've always been a fan of bend pak lifts. They are very good workmanship, and a 2 year warranty. Free shipping from here: http://www.e-autolifts.com/pf/pf.html

This is the 4-post lift that I will be getting once my new garage is built. A 4" base with 3,000 PSI cement is required. I am doing a 6" base with 3' footer though for a little overkill. I'd prefer not to see cracking :D

Get notified of new replies

To Automotive Lifts?

Old 07-19-2003, 03:51 PM
JHS5YDO
Instructor

Rich: I don't know where you are but if you are near central CA you are welcome to try out my 4 post lift. Shoot me a IM if interested. :cheers:
John
Old 07-19-2003, 09:47 PM
RBuck
Instructor

I just installed a four post Superior lift (superlifts.com) a few weeks ago. It is 7000# capacity. For a four post there a no special requirements for the floor but for a two post some require a minimum thickness and concrete strength. For a business I think a two post is better but for home use I recommend a four post.
Luckily, I had friends in the Corvette club help me and they have installed them before. If you elect to do it yourself you will need a minimun of 8 people. The entire unit is around 1900 pounds in the box. Mine was shipped to a friends wharehouse and unloaded from the truck by forklift. We then loaded it on a trailer for delivery to the house. The ramp with the hydrualics is very heavy and is the reason for the number of people.
Some things to consider:
- Check clearences and remember you will need to go 3-4 inches higher to clear the stops before you can let it down to rest.
- Adjust the cables so that they are slack when the car is resting on the stops.
- Adjust the cables so the pawls all clear the stops at the same time
- Be very careful when operating the lift. If one of the pawls catches a stop, from not pushing or holding the release all the way back, things will get very dangerous, very quickly. Been there but caught it in time.
- I you are height limited mark a stop or put in a limit switch. You do not want to drive the car through the garage door mechanism or the ceiling while daydreaming of you next mod.
Now you can spend even more time cleaning the vette because when you see the road grime and dirt on the underside you will want to keep the bottom clean like the top.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:31 PM
eastco
Advanced

We use Bend Pak lifts for many years they are built tough and are easy to install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automotive Lifts?