C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default '99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q.

Hey guys -

My right front wheel is leaking air at about 20 psi a week from around the base of the valve stem. I checked it using soap spray.

Is there a gasket or seal around the valve stem, between the pressure sensor and the wheel that might be damaged? It looks as though this leak happened about a month ago when I had new tires installed.

And, if there's no seal, can I make one, or can the tire shop make one? Or am I going to have to buy a new pressure sensor?

Looking for comments from someone who's seen their wheel apart and knows a way I can get this sealed up again.

Thanks,

~Matt
Old 07-13-2003, 09:42 PM
Bill C
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: '99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q. (Matt Black)

Your tire pressure sensor is attached to the other end of your valve stem. Its on the inside of your wheel, and there is an o-ring gasket on the inside of your valve stem.

You can purchase them separately, but I would try tightening the nut a LITTLE on the outside of the valve stem. This has worked for me when mine was leaking a little.

You have to break down your tire to replace the seal. Have repair shop take the nut OFF your valve stem and tell them to push in into the tire so that they do not break it. Valve stem an attached sensor are one piece and it will fall into your tire.

Bill :cheers:
Old 07-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: '99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q. (Bill C)

Thank you, Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To '99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q.

Quick Reply: '99 factory wheel - air leak around the valve stem Q.