C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Common mods for a new Vette owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 09:38 PM
OH99VETTE
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common mods for a new Vette owner

Looking for ideas on popular mods to my 99 Vette. This is my first one. Used to be a die hard Mustang guy when I was younger, so I am no stranger to hard work !

I enjoy this Vette more than any car I have ever driven, and want to do things to it that will keep value and add to the fun factor.

Thanks all. :chevy

[Modified by OH99VETTE, 9:39 PM 7/8/2003]
Old 07-08-2003, 09:43 PM
IH8PONYS
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (OH99VETTE)

You must get a K&N at least. Also pull the screen out of the MAF, and you could also do a TB bypass. Take the lid off the stock air box and zip tie the K&N to it! This is the Cheapest way.

[Modified by IH8PONYS, 8:46 PM 7/8/2003]
Old 07-08-2003, 09:57 PM
Pipes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20+ hp just by opening up the intake. You can pop the lid on the air cleaner for an instant gain in hp. Some use platic ties to secure the bottom section, some replace the lid with Z06 plastic. For a couple of hundred dollars you can replace the air filtration system with other popular aftermarket brands such as Vararam and Donaldson's Blackwing.

Although not much will be gained in hp by replacing the CAT back components, many Corvette owners like the sound of the aftermarket systems. Borla and Corsa manufacture popular systems.

Tires have the biggest influence on how the Corvette handles. The stock GoodYear runflats have the longest operational distance after a flat. The price of this is extremely stiff sidewalls. This creates a noisier and harsher ride than any other tire on the market. While tires are a matter of taste and driving style preference, more than 1/2 of Corvette owners move on to other brands or models. For comfort, Firestone makes an inexpensive runflat that is very popular. Michelin Pilot Sports are the most popular after-market tire with excellant handling and a quite ride, but are one of the more expensive brands. If you can do without runflats, GoodYear F1 GS-D3s are excellant. Another good, low cost tire, are Kumhos. I recommend 'The Tire Rack' for tire research and purchase.

Lowering the Corvette is also a matter of taste, and mostly for looks. You can lower your 99 about an inch without buying anything! However, many recommend after-market shocks, usually Billsteins, if you lower your ride.

My car came with a B&M Ripper shifter, another popular after-market shifter is Hurst. I didn't realize just what a difference this made until I drove my friend's vert. For about $150, this is a rather nice mod for those of us with manual gearboxes.

Well, there really is no end to mods. (See the threads on Modaholic's Anonymous, use the Search feature). See you at the next meeting. :D :seeya
Old 07-08-2003, 10:05 PM
luv2golf
Racer

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (Pipes)

I just picked up my 99 last Sat. I LOVE this place...full of great info. Unfortunately, I was also a young mustang owner. Thank God for maturity.
Thanks Pipes! :party:
Old 07-08-2003, 10:16 PM
boblackhardtop
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (luv2golf)

LPE TT :D
Old 07-08-2003, 10:20 PM
OH99VETTE
Cruising

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner

Thanks everyone. You have given me a good start. Any websites you can suggest for furthur research and possibly step by step instructions ?

This place is excellent. I will never go another day in my life without owning a Chevrolet Corvette ! I can't believe how much I missed between age 16 and 30 ! All things being the same, if I had a Vette back then, I don't really know if I would still be around. You have to grow up to enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. Heck, mine has never seen a drop of rain. Maybe that's a bit overboard, but until my daughter is born in August, it's my prized possession.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:22 PM
OH99VETTE
Cruising

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (Pipes)

Pipes - how do I go an inch lower without buying anything ? I do think it would be something I can handle.

Thanks !
Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 PM
luv2golf
Racer

:iagree: How do I lower her an inch? Will I have a problem if I put 18 x 9.5's on the front?
Old 07-08-2003, 10:28 PM
OH99VETTE
Cruising

Yeah, the old Crustang.... I had an 86 convertible I bought used. Was bergundy with white top and a V6. I pretty much lived in the Haynes shop manual on that car. I yanked the V6, purchased a 5.0L and installed myself. My first attempt, so I made a lot of mistakes. In the end, it looked exactly like a Saleen. I even taught myself how to paint cars back then. I ended up painting it Glacier White, so you needed sunglasses to look at it. Also had an 89 that was black. After another 4 grand, it too looked like a Saleen with one of those roll bars with the brake light in it. It was really sweet. I ended up selling them both to get a downpayment on my first house.

Ahhh, the good old days. I finally have a hobby again with my Vette !

Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 PM
SHOWTIME!
Safety Car

Hate to tell you , You never are thru doing mods :jester
Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 PM
luv2golf
Racer

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (SHOWTIME!)

:D Sweet :D It keeps me out of the bar rooms, and may even save me money in the long run. At least I'll have something to show for it. :cheers:
Old 07-09-2003, 03:03 PM
wkasak_07Z06
Pro

Check out the Tech Section: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti....php?TopicID=1

:cheers:
Old 07-09-2003, 08:49 PM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Common mods for a new Vette owner (wkasak_98Coupe)

Start with an aftermarket air intake -- Vortex was my choice, but there are many others out there. Should get you about 20 HP at the wheels.

After that I would go with a set of long tube headers, x-pipe, and exhaust.

Once you have the intake and exhaust sides done, you can go with a set of gears and/or go into the engine with heads/cam.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:59 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

You can lower the car by just turning the bolts at the end of the leaf springs. Up front turn them until there is no longer a gap between the bushing and the bolt. At the rear, turn the bolts until you have only two threads showing.

Read this Tech Tip for more detailed instructions:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=27&TopicID=1

BTW: The car below was lowered in that fashion.
:thumbs:

[Modified by Glennm27, 9:00 PM 7/9/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Common mods for a new Vette owner

Quick Reply: Common mods for a new Vette owner