C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 01:25 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo?

I cant afford CCW's right now.. Just looking for the largest ET street that can fit on a stock size 15" or 16" rim. Also.. what rims should I get?

Please keep in mind that my car has been lowered about 1 - 1.5"...

Thanks guys!! :cheers:
Old 07-07-2003, 01:33 AM
YOULLUZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (MyFirstCorvette)

IM also going the cheep route. I went with the wider 16x9.5" C4 rims and IM going to wrap them in 26x11.50x16 ET street. From what I understand there is a small amount of grinding that has to be done to the A-arm.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (YOULLUZ)

IM also going the cheep route. I went with the wider 16x9.5" C4 rims and IM going to wrap them in 26x11.50x16 ET street. From what I understand there is a small amount of grinding that has to be done to the A-arm.
Do you know if the 26x11.50x16's stick out of the wheel well? I'm worried about the car squatting and hitting the tire since the car is lowered...
Old 07-07-2003, 02:56 AM
NassyVette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (MyFirstCorvette)

Get the firebird knockoff rims from SLP in 16in. They're cheap and work good. You have to grind a little bit of the top part of the rear arm in order for the to fit. No big deal.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:05 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Where are those new 17" M/T ET Streets?? :mad :mad
Old 07-07-2003, 08:13 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (wallstAL)

That's a good question?

But wouldn't the 16" or even 15" hook better because they would wrinkle more during launch? (and possibly be lighter as well...)
Old 07-07-2003, 08:41 AM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

15 inch rims are out since the rim won't clear the suspension knuckle.

The 17" ET Streets were released, then recalled, and are due back out sometime in the near future. But as for exactly when, I don't know.

Best bet is either a cheap C4 Vette Wheel, or, a 16x8 Firebird wheel. Both are cheap, and both work with a 26x11.5x16 ET Street. Minor clearancing work will be required to get them to fit. On my car, I rounded the top corners of the knuckle slightly, and I ground the fins on the inside of the 84 vette wheel I used, since few of them hit my brake calipers.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:46 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (wallstAL)

Where are those new 17" M/T ET Streets?? :mad :mad
The 26x11.5x17 ET Street will not be any more effective than a drag radial, because the of the lack of sidewall.

As far as best combo, a C4 16"x9.5" wheel running 27x11x16 ET Street has worked best for me. The extra 1/2" of sidewall makes a big differance. Using the C4 wheel, the tire lines up with the upper edge of the fender.

Keith

Old 07-07-2003, 10:20 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (kromberg)

None of you guys have addressed your front tire setups. If you choose to run MT/ET streets and keep radial tires up front. I would like to nominate you for the "Darwin" award before you crash.

I have 1988 C4 Wheels 16X9.5..bought off of Ebay for $150. You need to narrow the fronts to 16X5" to accomodate "skinnies".

It is not advisable to run bias ply tires (ET's) and radials up front.
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 AM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (Shinobi'sZ)

I know of several people running Z rated radials up front and ET or even slicks in the rear trapping at 135+ without problems. What exactly do you see the problem is :confused:

Keith

Old 07-07-2003, 12:47 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

I know of several people running Z rated radials up front and ET or even slicks in the rear trapping at 135+ without problems. What exactly do you see the problem is :confused:

Keith
Keith,
It is not advisable and if you notice the fastest cars on this board run skinnies up front, dragsters/NHRA all run "skinnies" up front. It is for control and compensation of the flexing that occurs with large (gripping) bias ply tires in the rear. I am not trying to tell anybody what to do just stating what is said, seen, observed, and sanctioned by the fastest people on this board (or any strip) and the NHRA. Thats the word I go by. It does mean that all the people you know of have to. Lets pretend I didn't know what I just shared...if somebody would share that information with me and it saves me time, money, and health....then it is well received information. The problem with this board is that people get ideas about s h i t and think that it is right becuase they paid money for it and some snake oil salesmen convinced them of it. In the meantime when people cut corners to cut time, it might cost you or somebody else alot more. In the end people do what they want to do or what they are forced to do. :smash:
Old 07-07-2003, 01:05 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Shinobi, I understand your concern about mixing tires. However, I have run cars like that in the past with no issues. I'm not saying its the best way, but I don't have any issues. I know how bias plys with low pressure will handle on the street, and on the track. You just can't be extreme and saw ont eh wheel, smooth sterring input is the key to keeping the car going straight. As for a 17" ET Street vs a drag radial, I would disagree with you to some point there. Althoug the sidewall is important, the tire compound is also important. Whern a drag radial spins, it simply blows the run. An Et Street can spin, and the car will continue to move a lot harder than a DR ever will.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:08 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

It is not advisable and if you notice the fastest cars on this board run skinnies up front, dragsters/NHRA all run "skinnies" up front. It is for control and compensation of the flexing that occurs with large (gripping) bias ply tires in the rear.
Besides the fact that you see dragsters on TV do it.. why is it 'dangerous'?

Old 07-07-2003, 01:11 PM
BLUBYU2002C5
Burning Brakes

I guess ill be the first one up to accept the award... Prior to me getting my CCW's this spring - I have and did run with a 97-99 Camaro wheel and M/T E/T Street setup 26*10.5*16" (yes you have to grind down the top arm, not a big deal, takes only a few mins a side and not noticable after wheel is put on.

I also ran my stock 17 wheels with stock run craps on the front, like a lot of people have done - not a single problem or even close to crashing and i was pulling some of those high MPH runs...

I have run my stock wheel set-up on My C5, My SS, My Z28, My Mustang, for the last several years and not one close call.

Recently this spring i opted for the CCW Drag package ( 28"Hoosiers & Skinnies), and i will say i love it, it looks good, it reduced my 60' time. (but you still need that grind on the arm.

So i think either way you should be ok, but i do love the CCW Drag set-up and i do think it works better (and it should for the money). :thumbs:
Old 07-07-2003, 01:42 PM
Flyin'Brian
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

The 26x11.5x17 ET Street will not be any more effective than a drag radial, because the of the lack of sidewall.
They will be a lot better than a drag radial on the street.
Thats why I want 'em :yesnod:
I'll run Hoosiers at the track
Old 07-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (ryan0)

It is not advisable and if you notice the fastest cars on this board run skinnies up front, dragsters/NHRA all run "skinnies" up front. It is for control and compensation of the flexing that occurs with large (gripping) bias ply tires in the rear.

Besides the fact that you see dragsters on TV do it.. why is it 'dangerous'?
Well first things first...a NEWBIE rule for Ryan...don't assume that because somebody states something on this board that they collected it from watching TV..although you will find after a few years of being here that many do..but some like myself do not. I have had fast cars and motorcycles long before I ever bought a Corvette. I ran 12.9 on my otherwise stock 97 coupe (airfilter and exhaust) with run craps 10psi......

Next....I never mentioned running a 17" wheel...I said a 26" wheel.

If you need an example of how it is done correctly I would refer to one of the Cartek or Vette DR.s (Boweryboy).

Once again this is FYI mainly for people who have not established there driving/racing requirements...better to start off doing it the right way the first time. Dragracing requires the correct equipement to be a safe sport/hobby.

I will totally agree that steering wheel input has the most to do with keeping the car in a straight line...thus the reason for skinnies up front...it is the whole basis for them...tracking and steering under flex and traction...

That is the only point I am attempting to make....so do what you want to do...but if your one of those that didn't know...you heard it hear first and I hope you get off to a good start. :cheers:

[Modified by Shinobi'sZ, 1:23 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 04:42 PM
0racewheel
Former Vendor

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (Flyin'Brian)

lifted from viper board, cause i too lazy to go over it again, hope you dont mind ben

Regarding mixing bias & radials, here's the scoop. As a general rule, bias plys have slower transient steering response than radials. Thus, if you turn the steering wheel, the radials will generate cornering force more quickly than will the bias plys. That's fine if the radials are on the rear and the bias-plys are on the front: you get slow steering response, but the rear end tracks the front nicely. It's bad, however, if the radials are on the front -- the front end of the car responds to steering inputs immediately, but the rear lags. Feels like transient oversteer, and it's easy to get into an oscillation and go sideways.

So net net: bias plys all around, good. Bias front, radial rear: good. Bias rear, radial front: bad.

i would also add that this is more of a problem with independent rear cars than it is with live axle cars, because IRS cars tend to have a fair amount of toe deflection under load, making the rear start to squirm. there have more than a handful of instances where vettes/vipers/supra have ended up on the guardrail running radials up front wrinkle walls out back.

if you're looking for a cost effectrive way of running the et streets, then the 84-87 c4 wheels are the best bet out back. but if you choose to use the radials up front you do so with full knowledge of the potential consequences.
one only has to look back to the slp shootout at orlando this spring to see what can happen.

Get notified of new replies

To ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo?

Old 07-07-2003, 04:55 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Well first things first...a NEWBIE rule for Ryan...don't assume that because somebody states something on this board that they collected it from watching TV..although you will find after a few years of being here that many do..but some like myself do not.
So you have run a dragster in NHRA competition?..wow.. then you should be able to just answer the question as to why it's 'dangerous'... and the TV comment was a Cole Trickle joke.. nevermind.

I have had fast cars and motorcycles long before I ever bought a Corvette. I ran 12.9 on my otherwise stock 97 coupe (airfilter and exhaust) with run craps 10psi......
So?.. i ran a 12.9 at my first time EVER down a 1/4 mile strip in 105 degree weather

Next....I never mentioned running a 17" wheel...I said a 26" wheel.
That's a big wheel.. In fact.. i think i had a 26 on my Big Wheel when i was 5.

If you need an example of how it is done correctly I would refer to one of the Cartek or Vette DR.s (Boweryboy).
They are an example of how to do it right when you have money to spend. I'm all for that.. but the question was asked by someone who didn;t have $3500 to plop down on a CCW package.. they just wanted to know if you could slap a pair of $300 MTs onto some old stock rims laying around.

Once again this is FYI mainly for people who have not established there driving/racing requirements...better to start off doing it the right way the first time. Dragracing requires the correct equipement to be a safe sport/hobby.
Yeah.. tell all the pioneers in the 50s and 60s, who did it on a shoestring budget and go the 'sport/hobby' to where it is today... and nothing like a 'first timer' who shows up with all of hobby realted equipment.. the best golf shoes, new titanium clubs, $500 driver, a tiger woods head cover.. and shoots a 120.

I will totally agree that steering wheel input has the most to do with keeping the car in a straight line...thus the reason for skinnies up front...it is the whole basis for them...tracking and steering under flex and traction...
At 300mph I can see how this could be an issue.. but at 110?

That is the only point I am attempting to make....so do what you want to do...but if your one of those that didn't know...you heard it hear first and I hope you get off to a good start. :cheers:
Sorry for the rant, but my point is:

#1.. the question was 'can i do it'?.. then is was 'why is it not safe'?

the can was answered with the grinding and the MT sizes.. but the why was only answered by your 'look at the 6000hp dragsters'

#2 i f'n HATE being called a newbie... heh

:cheers:

[Modified by ryan0, 1:57 PM 7/7/2003]
Old 07-07-2003, 04:58 PM
YOULLUZ
Racer

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (racewheel)

RACERWHEEL: I was wondering if you would consider selling just your front skinnies for people that are going the C4 rear rim route? You could help make the racetrack a lot safer place. :yesnod:
Thanks
Old 07-07-2003, 05:04 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Default Re: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo? (racewheel)

Regarding mixing bias & radials, here's the scoop. As a general rule, bias plys have slower transient steering response than radials. Thus, if you turn the steering wheel, the radials will generate cornering force more quickly than will the bias plys. That's fine if the radials are on the rear and the bias-plys are on the front: you get slow steering response, but the rear end tracks the front nicely. It's bad, however, if the radials are on the front -- the front end of the car responds to steering inputs immediately, but the rear lags. Feels like transient oversteer, and it's easy to get into an oscillation and go sideways.
AH HAH!.. :cheers:.. now THAT makes sense. the rear track can't keep up with the fast steering response from the fronts!

Maybe i should get a really really big steering wheel to compensate.. heh

Thanks for a great, complete explanation response. Some of us 'newbies' can actually understand if you explain things.. but i had to look up the big words.. heh

:D

Quick Reply: ET Streets - What rim and tire size is the best combo?